New to Hershey

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
NY John T
First Name: John
Last Name: Killelea
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926

New to Hershey

Post by NY John T » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:14 pm

Hi all,
I'm going to Hershey this fall for the first time and would like to know if there's one section to look for model T parts. I have slight mobility issues (bad back) and would like to try to limit my walking all over the place. I don't need to be in a sea of 40's hot rods. Just send me to the place where I can pick up a few thing like wheel rims, horn, lights, etc.
Also, does anybody know if a person can camp in a van for only one night? I saw that the camping area says you must stay until the 9th and pay $60 per night. I only need 2 nights.
Thanks.
John

schwabd1
First Name: David
Last Name: Schwab

Re: New to Hershey

Post by schwabd1 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:24 pm

The stuff is all over... If I HAD to pick one I'd probably say the Chocolate field, although Lang's is in the Red field. Your best bet would to buy a program when you get there, the vendors list what their specialty is and plan your attack from there. Do you have or have access to a 3 wheel scooter? They are allowed with a doctors note. My best buys have been in a pile of misc. parts. The place is amazing!

schwabd1
First Name: David
Last Name: Schwab

Post by schwabd1 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:32 pm

OK, After I said the Chocolate field I remembered all the parts behind the stadium (is that part of the red field?) I know 2 years ago they got moved, is that open again this year? Also on the very west side, maybe the orange field? in the area where you cross for the Saturday car show.

Ed Fuller
First Name: Ed
Last Name: Fuller
MTFCA Number: 29582
MTFCI Number: 22818
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by Ed Fuller » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:49 pm

The best place at Hershey for Model T parts is where you find them. They are all over and I have had great finds in every field.

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:11 pm

There is indeed a lot of walking involved. I and many others drag around a light shopping cart to hold my purchases. I have a water bottle and a small folding chair in the cart so that I can stop, sit down, and rest as desired. :)

https://www.amazon.com/Whitmor-Deluxe-U ... 798&sr=8-6
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:29 am

Yes, there's a lot of walking, and no, the ModelT parts are not together. You will find them all over the place. If mobility is a problem, I believe electric carts are available for rent. I would check the AACA website for that. A lot of people traveling by van or camper park overnight in Walmart parking lots. There are two within a few miles. I park my Camry motel at the one in Palmyra. Going to the meet I skip the outrageous parking to the north and walk in from the free public garage to the south. I don't mind walking a mile to save twelve bucks a day.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Bill Dizer
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Dizer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 coupe, 1927 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 28610
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Bill Dizer » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:14 am

Set up day, Tuesday, riding a bike is allowed, so I have brought one to cruise the place and buy from venders as they set up. Even if they are not selling right then, knowing where to go the next morning helps. The claim was that there are almost thirty miles of venders if you walk both sides of every aisle. No bikes or golf carts after set up day, but handicap scooters are allowed with proof of need if they ask. Very crowded most of the time. You will see porta potties scattered all over but they are rented by the venders and are NOT for public use! My wife didn't know that and got screamed at for using one! Public toilets are in the Hershey building as well as food. Plus public outside porta potties that may be pay, or expect a tip! Plan to eat early to avoid long lines. If you plan to buy much, or bulky items, a small shopping basket on wheels really helps, or an old coaster wagon is allowed as well. Bring sunscreen, a floppy hat, and rain gear.

Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Post by Dan Hatch » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:31 am

John : Not to change subject from Hershey but I will.
Since you are in NY you should look into Luray next year. No where near the size of Hershey but it is ALL prewar. The parts for sale this year we’re as good as Hershey quality wise. Plus unlike the vendors near me at Hershey, no baby clothes, beanie babies or other BS!
I saw Nice 7 rivit pan, first one at swap meet in years. Enough good gas tanks to sink a battleship. I believe it was better than last Chickasha I went to as far as class of parts. There was very little of when you ask about a part were you told “I am just delivering it to someone.”
Am I going to Hershey, most likely. But I am also going back to Luray, good Lord willing and the Creek don’t rise up.

Terry_007
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Bond
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1915 Chassis
MTFCI Number: 15718

Post by Terry_007 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:27 pm

Glad you are going to Hershey. I posted on Hershey a few days ago and provided a link to both the AACA website and the Hershey Region. Strongly recommend you look there for accurate info about the world's largest antique car swap meet. All the info about scooters, handicap vehicles and even field layout maps will be available there. Look carefully at the rules on bicycles. You'll always see folks breaking the rules, but they risk getting toseed out and loosing their spaces.
Have a great time, and stop by and say hi. I'm over in front of the Giant Center almost across from the crab cake vendor.
Terry

dmdeaton
First Name: Danny
Last Name: Deaton

Post by dmdeaton » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:01 am

I know the crab cake vendor well!!😁

jab35
First Name: James
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by jab35 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:49 am

Ed is correct on where to find parts, and a lot of mobility impaired visitors make the flea market circuit using electric carts and scooters.

There is a directory available for a nominal fee that lists all the vendor locations and a broad category of what they are offering. As others have noted, few are exclusive Model T vendors but you will recognize many who post on the forum. Unfortunately, that directory is not available in advance of the event, at least is wasn't during the past years.

Hershey is a great event, I'm sure you will enjoy it. jb

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:55 pm

I've only been to Hershey once - I bought a vendors pass from someone who couldn't go and parked my camper van in Green Field. I brought a few parts to sell and did sell most (though not more than I bought). I also brought my "garage sale" amigo scooter with me and used it to get around the grounds. Without the scooter I'm afraid I never would have had a chance to see much as it is so spread out.

They sell a program that lists where registered vendors are located. Using it I was able to track down some known sellers of Model T parts. Other than that, I just wandered and took it all in. I did find a few goodies but no great finds..... Personally, I would think a smaller, pre-war only show would have more to offer a Model T guy.

Hershey is one of those big events that all car-guys need to visit at least once....just like Aviators have to visit the big show in Oshkosh, WI. Speaking of the latter, I leave tomorrow for my 45th trip to Oshkosh, this time with my Model T in tow to give rides under the auspices of the Ford Motor Co. Hershey, like Oshkosh, is an annual "must do" event for some folks. If nothing else, you come away inspired to pursue your hobby even harder....
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Topic author
NY John T
First Name: John
Last Name: Killelea
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926

Post by NY John T » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:09 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions.
John

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:37 pm

I only went there once, however it was very large and would have liked to look some more, but since I flew in on a plane I really couldn't take anything I could either ship home or fit in my luggage. I saw a lot of ignition coils but thought maybe the inspectors might thing it was a bomb, so didn't buy anything. However I did get to meet Bruce McCauly while there. Be sure to take along a raincoat, just in case. When we got there they were having a drought but before the day was over it rained so hard the bridges were like waterfalls and the picnic tables along the river bank were underwater!
Norm

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:37 pm

Personally, I would think a smaller, pre-war only show would have more to offer a Model T guy.

Maybe, but I've found some good stuff at Hershey. The best was probably a Ford oil can. I saw one in the Chocolate Field priced at $60. That was too dear to suit me, and I passed it up. Later that day I saw another one in the Green Field. It had no price marked on it. I held it up and the guy said, "Oil can, two bucks." I couldn't get that $2 out fast enough. :D
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

dykker5502
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Deichmann
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1921 Roadster P/U, 1922 Fordor (danish custom body)
MTFCA Number: 29116

Post by dykker5502 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:44 pm

And don't miss the MTFCA place where I believe there is a paw waw going on on wednesday (if memory serves me well). If lucky you can get real faces on some of the "voices" from the forum.
2018-10-10 15.47.20.jpg
Ford Model T 1914 Touring
Ford Model T 1921 Roadster Pick-up
Ford Model T 1922 Fordor (danish build body)
ECCT, Strobospark, HCCT(Sold), Rebuilding coils

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:56 pm

For those who don't know all the people in the photo, they are:
Bruce Balogh, Gil Fitzhugh, Chris Brancaccio, Mortimer Snerd, and Michael Deichmann.
:)
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:06 pm

It is surprising how Mortimer resembles Steve Jelf! :lol:
Norm

Tim Rogers
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Rogers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe & 1923 Runabout
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by Tim Rogers » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:12 pm

Hershey is the best swap meet by far. One would have to visit multiple swap meets all over North America to see as many items as there are at Hershey!
<o><o><o><o> Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks - Forum member since 2013 <o><o><o><o>

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic