Large drum Rocky Mt install tips...

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
NU2theT
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Wendt
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 32419

Large drum Rocky Mt install tips...

Post by NU2theT » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:18 pm

Would appreciate any prep/install tips you guys might mention who have done this. Should be getting these brakes next week for my 26 Fordor, thanks Mike Bird and MTFCA.

Do have a picture/sheet with the install directions but thinking might be some things learned from you guys that have installed and adjusted them that may lower and help my particullar instalation time, thanks in advance.

I do have a Ruckstell and have cleaned the outeside edge of my drums where the brakes will work in preparation for these add-on brakes.

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Re: Large drum Rocky Mt install tips...

Post by Dallas Landers » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:27 pm

I installed mine in a day. Several small adjustments after installation. Stopping every 2-300 yards the check for heat in the drums. I am lucky to live on a gravel road. I could see if one side locked up before the other. The instruction were pretty good. I read some old forum posts before starting the job looking for tips like you. Any questions you have along the way will be answered here. Great bunch of people.

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:55 pm

Dallas...so funny thats about exactly the way I set up the RM's that I put on my Fordor! Guess its SOP :lol:
One other thing that may be overlooked, even after the adjuster screw on the brake bands are where you want them for clearance, then the braking effect can be adjusted moreso via the clevis on each rod up by the equalizer. I have my '13 set like a modern car now. Still need just a wee bit more tweaking on the other two cars.

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:20 pm

Install is straight forward. Lift the rear end up one side @ a time & jack stand. Do not lift by center pumpkin. 2 backing plate rivets need to be removed & drilled for rear brake band support bars.(each side) Place washers as instructed. Install bands. set just loose for top & bottom wiggle. Set bar position to hold band, but not hinder contraction. Disconnect parking brake rods.
Equalizer is clamped on loose. note pivot bolt hits the bottom or the pan, keeping parking brake from going back as far as it should. Past vertical a little is all you get. pivot bolt head can be shaved to give max travel. Hook up rods. Adjust till brakes are locked with parking brake lever as far back as will go. Try to manually turn each wheel. If locked, take parking lever off 1 notch @ a time untill you can barely turn each wheel. Fine tune brake band adjustment until friction is the same, both sides, Keeping that band looseness with parking lever down.
Adjust trans brake to come on 1/2 way thru travel. Hook up R/M brake slider.
Test drive for even brake engagement(parking brake rods still disconnected) On asphalt I look for even skid marks. When happy with R/M braking, disconnect rods. Reconnect parking brake rods. Drive to test even braking. Adjust rods, keeping in mind where parking lever was @ park with R/M's
Reconnect R/M brake rods
With the parking lever vertical or a bit forward, you should have neutral & no brakes applied. Push car to confirm.
Might take a bit of tweaking here & there.

You have just adjusted & COORDINATED all 3 brake systems. Trans brake will engage with force, giving you decent braking as will parking brake engagement when going backwards.

Topic author
NU2theT
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Wendt
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 32419

Post by NU2theT » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:41 pm

Thanks for the tidbits fellas. John I read your post twice and looking @ my pictured instructions and laying under the car I can actually visualize your post/steps, thanks!

Will post some pictures with results when complete, this website is invaluable.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic