Intake Manifold Leak

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Duckwing
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Wilson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Roadster Pickup

Intake Manifold Leak

Post by Duckwing » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:55 am

I am experiencing poor idling (26 T with Kingston L4 carb). When I spray carb cleaner on either intake port area, the engine stalls momentarily. I have ordered replacement glands/rings. I will inspect the block and manifold when I get things apart. Question is has anyone used "goop" of some sort on the gland to improve the seal?

(Note: Lang's advised that the three-in-one gaskets are on back order with no estimate on availability)

John Codman
First Name: John
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Re: Intake Manifold Leak

Post by John Codman » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:03 am

I have never used gasket sealer on a Model T intake manifold and I have never had any problems. When you take the manifold off use a good straightedge to check to see that it's not warped. If it is warped, any decent machine shop should be able to true it up for you.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:47 am

Never mind, I saw manifold sealing and mind went to exhaust. :lol:
Last edited by Mark Gregush on Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:07 am

I've never seen a warped intake manifold and cannot imagine what it would take to warp one sufficiently where a common gasket set (with the exception of the $2.50 paper set) did not seal it just fine without resorting to machining.

Leaking intake manifolds nearly always are a product of multiple failed attempts of wrassling both the exhaust manifold and intake manifold simultaneously, and a couple of failed torques of the clamps, followed by more fiddling and movement. Copper gaskets will NOT withstand dings or misaligned failed installations and still seal when everything finally falls together.

All of this screwing around is generally caused by a bent exhaust manifold refusing to line up properly and relying on the clamps to just mash it all together.

While I believe in saving or reusing all original parts possible, I readily make an exception on the exhaust manifold. The reproductions are excellent and will pop on easily. They can be steadied by the two outboard clamps set vertically and the intake manifold can be set in place once and secured by the two inboard clamps. Messing with a bent exhaust manifold can lead you to want to burn the car to the ground before the day is out. Save your matches and buy an exhaust manifold if you need it and make the job quick, easy, and painlessly.

With a good straight exhaust manifold, you can use the original style individual copper ring seals and make a very nice neat job of it.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:44 am

Adding to Scott's mounting description - I set my intake manifold FIRST using the method Scott stated above utilizing 2 clamps vertical thus verifying the intake is SET then I attach the exhaust being able to look down over the top of the exhaust manifold again verifying it's seating onto the rings & block.

Topic author
Duckwing

Post by Duckwing » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:58 am

The exhaust manifold is a new reproduction part. Best I can tell it fits fine. I drilled a piece of angle iron and bolted it to the two center studs to hold the exhaust manifold in place. That may be an over kill but don’t think it will now go anywhere when I remove the outer clamps and the intake manifold. The glands/rings should be here soon so I will see if that fixes things.

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:00 pm

I use a pair of manifold clamps with 1 ear removed. Clamp them on both far ends, snugly, horizontally on a STRAIGHT exhaust manifold.
Place intake (using ring & gland type). I can feel it snap into position & give a visual look behind exhaust. Add clamps from the intake out. Replace "tool" clamps one @ a time.

Topic author
Duckwing

Post by Duckwing » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:05 pm

As a backup, I bought what appears to be a very good intake manifold, no rust, clean carb interface and nice ports (all based on photos). It may go in the spare parts pile if not better than what I’ve got already.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:01 pm

One possible thing to look for is a gland which is too wide. When it is pressed into the groove in the block and the groove in the manifold it will not allow the gasket to compress. So check it out before you install the gasket and grind off a little if it is too wide. This often happens when the block and the manifold have been re-surfaced and the glands are then too wide to fit.
Norm

speedytinc
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring

Post by speedytinc » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:05 pm

Norman Kling wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:01 pm
One possible thing to look for is a gland which is too wide. When it is pressed into the groove in the block and the groove in the manifold it will not allow the gasket to compress. So check it out before you install the gasket and grind off a little if it is too wide. This often happens when the block and the manifold have been re-surfaced and the glands are then too wide to fit.
Norm
Once tightened up, make a visual check for consistent ring crush.

Topic author
Duckwing

Post by Duckwing » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:06 pm

Thanks for all the inputs

Hudson29
First Name: Paul
Last Name: O'Neil
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1923 Runabout
MTFCI Number: 18018

Post by Hudson29 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:17 pm

Do the repop exhaust manifolds have the same tendency to warp or sag that the old Ford ones do? I put one on the '23 years ago and while it fit fine & works well, it did not look quite the same as the stock one did.

Paul
The man with a watch always knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.

speedytinc

Post by speedytinc » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:34 pm

Hudson29 wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:17 pm
Do the repop exhaust manifolds have the same tendency to warp or sag that the old Ford ones do? I put one on the '23 years ago and while it fit fine & works well, it did not look quite the same as the stock one did.

Paul
If you dont use rings, it will warp. Repops? I would bet on it

tmodeldriver
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Hester
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 touring, 27 touring, 22 TT
MTFCA Number: 26459
MTFCI Number: 20813

Post by tmodeldriver » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:08 pm

I install manifolds the way Scott described with the two outer clamps set vertically with nuts run down finger tight. This holds the exhaust manifold in place while you install the intake, no cut-off clamps or other special tools required. The exhaust manifold on my '26 is slightly warped so I could only use two gland rings. I machined two solid rings from pipe and placed them in ports two and four. This left the manifold slightly low at number one port and slightly high at number three. Using the copper sandwich gaskets this has worked well for several years. I never liked those copper crush rings because they're so tiny. Your mileage may vary.

If the manifold is badly warped the above may not work. Bob

noelchico
First Name: Noel
Last Name: Chicoine
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 roadster, 1923 Touring, 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 25420
MTFCI Number: 22686

Post by noelchico » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:26 pm

I recently had an intake leak due to a new "high volume" intake manifold that lacked clearance with the exhaust manifold. The car idled well and did not change speed with LP or flammable fluid sprayed at the contact areas, but missed at cruising speed and the rear plugs were lean looking. Filing off less than 1/10 inch allowed the glands to "click in" on alignment testing. Make sure your glands are not so short they prevent the rings from engaging the ports, and not so long they prevent the rings from compressing. I have heard that the high volume intakes are prone to this problem.

Craig Leach
First Name: craig
Last Name: leach
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Firetruck/1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 26647

Post by Craig Leach » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:41 pm

If you have a vacuum leak shoudnt spraying carb cleaner on the manifold make the engine speed up? Is the carb cleaner non-flamable? Do you have the mixture that rich to start with?
Craig.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:04 pm

Just a few observations.
Repop big bore alloy intakes almost never fit as bought. Every one I have fitted has had to be worked on where it comes close to the exhaust manifold. A die grinder will remove enough material to allow a proper fit.
I use the suggested half clamp trick, mounted horizontally to hold the intake in place while wrestling the exhaust. These clamps can be tightened to actually hold the manifold there. When I tried the whole clamp mounted vertically, it cocked the manifold towards the block at the top, and the finger tight nuts allow it to move if it is bumped.
EVERY exhaust manifold must be fitted with 4 gland rings. If not, it is free to go walk-about during repeated heat cycles, and never return to its original straight condition.
Allan from down under.

speedytinc

Post by speedytinc » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:09 pm

Allan wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:04 pm
Just a few observations.
Repop big bore alloy intakes almost never fit as bought. Every one I have fitted has had to be worked on where it comes close to the exhaust manifold. A die grinder will remove enough material to allow a proper fit.
I use the suggested half clamp trick, mounted horizontally to hold the intake in place while wrestling the exhaust. These clamps can be tightened to actually hold the manifold there. When I tried the whole clamp mounted vertically, it cocked the manifold towards the block at the top, and the finger tight nuts allow it to move if it is bumped.
EVERY exhaust manifold must be fitted with 4 gland rings. If not, it is free to go walk-about during repeated heat cycles, and never return to its original straight condition.
Allan from down under.
I had used a stock clamp, But found the modified clams work way better as Allan explained.

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:25 pm

Running timing too late for operating conditions will overheat the exhaust manifold, which can lead to warping and other problems. It also strains the joints between the block and the manifolds. Running fast for extended times with the carburetor extremely lean can aslo cause the manifold to run hotter than normal.

RGould1910
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Gould
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 touring, 1912 roadster , 1927 roadster

Post by RGould1910 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:35 pm

It's been my experience that spraying carb cleaner around the intake ports will always cause a miss even though there is no other evidence of an intake leak. Agree is makes no sense but that's been my experience.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:33 pm

Beyond just running lean due to the vacuum leak, there is a discontinuity of air flow within the manifold due to differences in pressure drop in the fore and aft ports. Running richer to make the vacuum-leak cylinders fire at some speed cannot ever balance the disrupted flow within the manifold, so everything is screwed up more than you can imagine.

The spray cleaner acts more as a very temporary sealant in the gap and now the air flow through the carb becomes more normal, while the semi-constant flow within the manifold (as designed) begins to act more correctly. This in turn causes the previously lean cylinders to see a huge dump of fuel since the carb is far too rich and the engine isn't able to digest it quickly.

Applying raw propane to a leak will cause the opposite effect as the extraneous air flow (vacuum leak) will continue, but now not just air, but a mixture with a very potent combustible material freely flowing into the engine through the leak. Most of what would combust in the fluid application would have been the propellant, but the liquid as mentioned above pretty much occludes it's entry.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic