Exact Manufacturing date of Model T

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
bdtutton
First Name: Bryan
Last Name: Tutton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Model T

Exact Manufacturing date of Model T

Post by bdtutton » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:08 pm

Hello...I know the manufacturing date of the engine in my car because it is cast into the side of the block, but I am not sure what the exact date the car was manufactured. Does anyone know a good website to look on?
My VIN is 362045.
It seems a lot of different things were going on at the Ford factory at that time. They were testing the idea of an assembly line, speedometers were being discontinued, processes were being changed...etc... I find conflicting dates on some of the articles I read. Where would I find the most accurate information?
Thank you....Bryan

Fire_chief
First Name: Charlie
Last Name: Gagel
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 12 Tourings(2),14 Tourings(2),15 Touring,22Touring,22 TT,21 Fire Truck,14 Chief Car
MTFCA Number: 8377
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 22437

Re: Exact Manufacturing date of Model T

Post by Fire_chief » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:16 pm

October 28, 1913

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:21 pm

Here is what has been discussed before. Assumption: you are referring to your 1914 Model T. The experts may require more information.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/59 ... 1461808340
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/270020.html
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/292831.html
Lots of "IF's"
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:55 pm

The engine assembly date Charlie gave you is as close as you'll get. There are no records of when a particular engine was put into a car. It might be the same day or the next day, but if the engine was sent to a branch assembly plant it might be several days later.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
bdtutton
First Name: Bryan
Last Name: Tutton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Model T

Post by bdtutton » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:06 pm

One of the reasons I was curious about the assembly date was to determine if the car came with a speedometer and the second was to figure out if it was made by hand or on an assembly line. According to the date provided it should have a speedometer. As for how it was built, I am not sure because there are a couple of different dates given for the start of assembly line production. Maybe it was one of those built on a test assembly line where the cars had a rope tied to them and it was pulled along by hand. Anyone have an answer?

Been Here Before
First Name: George John
Last Name: Drobnock
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe

Post by Been Here Before » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:26 pm

As old owners of the T's die off, the history or their particular T dies with them. The new owners want to know a bit about the provenance of their new acquisition. And all that can be given is, the build date if the motor? Granted the Henry Ford Can provide information up to the late teens. After that records are destroyed, and no new data base established. So if you have a 1920 Fordor good luck on getting any information from the company.

Those that have a British vehicle know about the records available from The British Motor Museum.

Oh well.

https://www.britishmotormuseum.co.uk/ar ... rtificates

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:42 pm

bdtutton wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:08 pm
Hello...I know the manufacturing date of the engine in my car because it is cast into the side of the block, but I am not sure what the exact date the car was manufactured. Does anyone know a good website to look on?
My VIN is 362045.
It seems a lot of different things were going on at the Ford factory at that time. They were testing the idea of an assembly line, speedometers were being discontinued, processes were being changed...etc... I find conflicting dates on some of the articles I read. Where would I find the most accurate information?
Thank you....Bryan
First the engine serial number was not cast into the block but stamped, the date the block was cast was cast into the block.
Since there is always the possibility of a rebuilt/replaced engine, you should see if the engine block casting date is in agreement with the engine serial number. As stated earlier, expected to be withing days.
Decided to do some math - no one needs to agree.. Looking at the range of engines built by month, it would appear that the average production was about 17,000 a month, this would imply that they had to turn over 4,250 week (storage space limitation). It is reasonable to assume that engines built in late October and the first 2 weeks of November 1913 were used to build Model T's prior to the first generation of the new assembly line going into went production on December 1, 1913. Given the date of your engine (and assumptions) it would reasonable to believe that it was used to built a T in the first week of November 1913.
builds.jpg
Attachments
early block casting date.jpg
late block casting date.png
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic