Tom Zimmer was right. "How do I remove clear coat from brass?"

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
NorthSouth
First Name: Steve
Last Name: California
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1912 Warren Speedster
MTFCA Number: 50392

Tom Zimmer was right. "How do I remove clear coat from brass?"

Post by NorthSouth » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:04 pm

-
Tom Zimmer, HCCSC and MTFCA, was right.

Tom advised me to submerge my failing clear coated 1911 brass in a pot of heated vinegar and, just as he said, the clear coat fell off like a cellophane wrapper. His brilliant solution turned a full day using solvent over and over again on only one cowl lamp into stripping completely clean three lamps in only 2 hours. Thank you Tom Zimmer.

As you can see in the pictures, I used a large frying pan full of water to double-boil a lobster pot full of vinegar. Upon reaching temperature the clear coat delaminated in only 1 or two minutes. I helped it off with a soft brass wire brush and small tongs. This was way easier that I ever expected. However, I should have added to the process some thick dishwashing gloves and full coverage lab goggles.

-
image2.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image0.jpeg
-

Previous Post:

Hello fellow Model T-ers,

I am frustrated. Almost all of the brass on this 1911 Touring was coated with clear coat. Then, the car was left in the sun for 3-1/2 years, so an unnatural tarnish formed under the clear coat (picture #2).

Im using this chemical (picture #1). It is the strongest stripper I can find here in Northern California. However, it takes a minimum of 6 separate ‘applications and removals’ (15 min soaking each time) to get even close to removing the clear coat.

Would any of you know of an easier way to accomplished this?
-
Attachments
3F212011-9FC5-4CE5-94D8-965F5726E84B.jpg
Last edited by NorthSouth on Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Re: How do I remove clear coat from brass?

Post by TXGOAT2 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:24 pm

You might try Berryman B-12 Chemtool... it's a powerful and flammable solvent. Use outdoors only and avoid skin contact or breathing fumes. I would treat small areas at a time. It will attack most finishes and plastics and probably rubber. Acetone is another powerful solvent, with similar caveats. If the clear coat is genuine lacquer, isopropyl alcohol might dissolve it. I'd try that first. Wal Mart usually has 90+% isopropyl alcohol for about 2.50 a quart.
Last edited by TXGOAT2 on Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:25 pm

Google solutions
Lacquer Finish
hot water and Baking Soda https://www.hunker.com/12000865/how-to- ... from-brass
lacquer thinner https://homeguides.sfgate.com/remove-la ... 99024.html
3 different ways https://www.wikihow.com/De-Lacquer-Brass
Some of the above use Acetone (they have to have to allow nail polish remover in Cal)
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:28 pm

My favorite stripper for small parts is a 5 gal bucket of berry man carburetor cleaner. Over night soaking.

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:56 pm

Lacquer thinner!!

TWrenn

Post by TWrenn » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:57 pm

Seems like I saw this car for sale not long ago on the forum? Just curious. Looks good!

Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Post by Dan McEachern » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:54 pm

Find a shop that rebuilds brass musical instruments. they can strip old coatings. IF you gotta do it yourself, place your lamp/horn in a closed plastic bag overnight with the paint remover applied. The closed bag will allow the fumes to work better on the coating.

W Austen
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Austen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915

Post by W Austen » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:17 pm

I have had success using CRC gasket remover from a local auto parts store. It is great for stripping old finishes. I used it to strip the old clear coat on my brass lamps that paint remover wouldn't touch. It is in a spray can and easy to use. CRC is the brand I used, but I'm sure there are other brands that will do the same.

Terry_007
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Bond
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1915 Chassis
MTFCI Number: 15718

Post by Terry_007 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:30 pm

As has already been suggested, lacquer thinner will do. Don't mess with those silly strippers. It's lacquer on the brass, so lacquer thinner should be fine. However, that alone won't remove the tarnish. From what I see in the photos it's corrosion in the brass itself. Professional buffing might be necessary.
Terry

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:55 am

This is why clear coating is a BAD idea ! :roll:
More people are doing it today than ever before !

Luxford
First Name: Peter
Last Name: Kable
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Town Car 1913 Speedster 1915 kampcar
MTFCA Number: 4
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Luxford » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:57 am

This clear is obviously not lacquer, the California replacement stripper ( Methylene Chloride has always been the top paint stripper) is going to not be as effective as others available elsewhere.
The clear would be a two part clear with a hardener, probably an auto paint clear, a stronger paint stripper as well as was suggested to seal it off in a bag as Dan has mentioned would be preferable. A good stripper will soften the clear and washing off with water would be the way to go. Avoid using any type of hard scraper.

Clear stops a need to constantly polish but should only be used on parts not subject to heat such as brass gas lamps, radiator etc. My E&J headlights/side lights have been polished so often over the last 100 plus years the manufacturers markings have diminished a lot. I avoid polishing them now as much as possible. All the brass fittings on my Town Car I clear finish and about every 10 years it is easy to remove & strip them off and buff and polish and recoat, far better than trying to polish especially when they are next to leather or cloth headlining.

Topic author
NorthSouth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1912 Warren Speedster

Post by NorthSouth » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:39 am

-
I heard that there is an illicit load coming in from Nevada with 30 round AR15 magazines, 180 proof Everclear whiskey, French foie gras, and oil base enamel paint. Maybe I can get them to throw a quart of Methylene Chloride onboard.
-

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:36 am

NorthSouth wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:39 am
-
I heard that there is an illicit load coming in from Nevada with 30 round AR15 magazines, 180 proof Everclear whiskey, French foie gras, and oil base enamel paint. Maybe I can get them to throw a quart of Methylene Chloride onboard.
-
If the clear finish is not Lacquer then it may be a urethane. Have you tried using Acetone? If that's not available as such, then buy some nail polish remover , is Acetone and available without showing an ID at CVS :o (was an age requirement) :lol: At least try it to see if it does the job.
Another possibility is https://www.cps-parts.com/catalog/cspages/surestrip.php
This company is manufacturing strippers, paint dope and is located at 225 Airport Circle Dr, Corona, CA 92880
In their Q&A Q: Does Certified Coatings Sure Strip contain Methylene Chloride? Yes it does.
The website appears to have been updated in 2021
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

TRZim
First Name: Tom
Last Name: Zimmer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 touring 1914 touring 1915 speedster
MTFCA Number: 15920

Post by TRZim » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:01 am

Steve, I had the same issue with my 11 t. I went to Costco bought a couple jugs of their vinegar. Use a plastic bucket, totally submerged. 1st time I heated the vinegar up prior to using, but I found leaving bucket in the hot California sun provided enough heat. Need to leave it most of the day, but you need to check it occasionally. What happens is the old baked on clear coat begins to break down and eventually it comes off in sheets of old clear coating. I did all my original brass. Hope this works for you. I also used a buffer at the end to get at hard to reach areas.

Topic author
NorthSouth

Re: Tom Zimmer was right. "How do I remove clear coat from brass?"

Post by NorthSouth » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:10 pm

-
Previous (pre-vinegar) photos.
-
Attachments
image2-2.jpeg
image1-2.jpeg
image0-2.jpeg

It's Bill
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Hoffer
MTFCA Number: 32571
MTFCI Number: 24364
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by It's Bill » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:49 am

Brake fluid eats paint. Has anybody tried it? Cheers, Bill

VowellArt
First Name: Martynn
Last Name: Vowell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Touring, th "Lady"
MTFCA Number: 9908
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by VowellArt » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:02 am

Lacquer Thinner or some MEK if you can get it you don't even have to boil it a big container of MEK will dissolve that clear coat in about a minute. Then wipe it down with Lacquer Thinner to remove any trace elements of the dissolved clear coat that might cling to the part as you remove it.
Fun never quits!

SurfCityGene
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Carrothers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Torpedo Roadster
MTFCA Number: 22905
MTFCI Number: 23068
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by SurfCityGene » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:43 pm

Steve, Thanks for your post!! That's sure good to know. Looks like your coming along nicely on the '11. Have you any ideas about the seat cushion repair?
1912 Torpedo Roadster

TWrenn

Post by TWrenn » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:10 pm

Much as I love and swear by lacquer thinner for a host of things, I will admit vinegar is right up there. Glad to hear it did a quick job. And, it probly smelled like French fries!! :lol:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic