Neat idea when using Timesaver

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
TonyB
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Bowker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring
MTFCA Number: 32
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2005

Neat idea when using Timesaver

Post by TonyB » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:34 pm

At breakfast this morning I mentioned I was honing in the rods using Time saver but running into minor problems as I couldn’t get a full circle on the bearing as the crank was still in the block. I tried to rotate the crank but the rod bolts were awfully close to the oil line.
Jay had a solution. Using insulating pipe foam on the rod. This way the rod can mount in the natural position yet not hit the bores when rotating the crank.
Foam on rod
Foam on rod
Rod and foam in block
Rod and foam in block
When do it next time I’m going to make the foam tube longer to assist in placing on the crank and help hold the bolts in place.
Tony Bowker
La Mesa, California
1914 Touring, 1915 Speedster, 1924 Coupe.

Jim Sims
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Sims
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 17 touring 20 roadster 21coupe 25tudor 25 pickup 27 coupe
MTFCI Number: 13377

Re: Neat idea when using Timesaver

Post by Jim Sims » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:09 pm

I would think you should have the pistons on the rods with no rings to keep the honing square.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:58 pm

I thought that I had posted the same thing that Jim said, but apparently it did not stick! I have never tried to fit the rod bearing without the piston on the rod, but I can see where it could be high on one side unless perfectly centered in the cylinder. The idea seems like a good one if it works, Perhaps if someone could find a foam piece the same size as the cylinder with a center small enough to fit the upper end of the rod, it would work.
Tony, please let us know the results after you have the pistons installed.
Norm

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:46 pm

As a user an proponent of the product, I'd say that while the foam is very clever, everyone is overthinking this

Used to fit a .002" mismatch between rod and crank, you really can't get into trouble with this stuff unless you really work at it and I think a cursory look at a trig chart will show that.

If you're trying to remove .005" from the babbit, then you have the wrong rod in the first place. If you're rotating the crank 360 then you must be worried about fitting a bearing to an oval crank or are misunderstanding that as designed, the material will give a .0015 clearance and if your crank is 1/2 thou out of round, the rod will accommodate it in a split second of running if simply fitted by swinging the rod back/forth under the engine.

I don't think either of these issues is going on in the original posting, but I do think that excessive caution where not warranted IS going on. As an aside, I think this is the very first time I've ever heard of a rod being fitted on a crank turned 360. Bare crank in mains, yes; rods, no.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

AndyClary
First Name: Andrew
Last Name: Clary
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout 1926 Coupe. Mercury Speedster #1249
MTFCA Number: 24057

Post by AndyClary » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:10 pm

Timesaver’s most appropriate use is a new rod on a crank that hasn’t been machined. Say, the oil line plugged and you starved the #1 rod and you want to replace it in the car. After clearing the tube, times saver can be used on the new rod. With a ground crank and a properly babbited rod it shouldn’t be necessary.

Andy

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:47 pm

AndyClary wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:10 pm
Timesaver’s most appropriate use is a new rod on a crank that hasn’t been machined. Say, the oil line plugged and you starved the #1 rod and you want to replace it in the car. After clearing the tube, times saver can be used on the new rod. With a ground crank and a properly babbited rod it shouldn’t be necessary.

Andy
Shouldnd be but... The last short block I got was set too tight. When I started time savering , I found about 75% contact. Pulled one shim & worked it to 98% contact. Timesaver automatically makes the proper clearance. Shouldnt need any readjustment for a long time.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic