AC Brakes on my '16 Touring

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
rainer
First Name: Rainer
Last Name: Hantsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Lizzy: Model T Touring 1916, brass & black
Board Member Since: 2021

AC Brakes on my '16 Touring

Post by rainer » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:26 am

Hello.

My '16 Touring has installed AC brakes (so I was told), working on the outside of the parking drum. They are attached with metal rods to a simple mechanism below driver's feet. There is another shaft with three welded-on levers bolted to the frame (can rotate). One lever is connected to the brake pedal, others for left and right AC Brake. So four metal rods go to the back in total, two for parking brake, two for AC brakes.

I have to pull the engine and rework the High Speed Clutch. So this means removing the Hogshead and therefore finally readjusting all the bands. I will mount the Hogshead while the engine is on my motor stand and then slide in the entire motor. Though this will become a little challenge let the pedals pass the firewall, but this will allow me to better mount and seal the Hogshead.

Ok. Engine is back in, how do I adjust the right balance between Transmission Brake and AC Brakes?

What I could find out meanwhile is how to adjust the bands.
  1. Pedals should move until approx half way of the related cam attached to the Hogshead is done, then the band has to sit strongly on its drum.
  2. The low gear band has to be under tension when the pedal is approx 2" before deepest point of pedal way. So there is enough room for moving further when the band is wearing out a little bit.
  3. When the handbrake lever is in front most position, the external screw for high speed gear must be fully released (adjustment screw does not touch the cam on handbrake shaft any more)
  4. But I could not find anything about adjusting the Transmission Brake <--> AC brake balance.
My idea is as follows:
  • First I mark the pedal position when only transmission brake is fully pressed (without connected AC brakes).
  • Then I shorten (adjust) the rod to the AC actuator shaft until the pedal does not fully reach the marked position when almost same force is applied. This way I reduce force on internal transmission brake and apply it to AC brakes instead.
So far everything is clear, but is there a rule of thumb for quickly finding the right balance?

Any suggestion is welcome. I would like to know how you set this up (also the other bands).
Model T Touring 1916