I finally installed my I-timer

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

I finally installed my I-timer

Post by DHort » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:12 pm

For me it was a two man job. I could not crank and hold my finger over #1 hole to check for TDC.
I-timer.jpg

The first step was to measure the pulley on the crankshaft. I have a modern pulley and I measured it by wrapping a string around it. 11 inches divided by 3.14 = 3.5 inches. I know I have a 3.5 inch pulley and that dimension is needed later in setting up the timer.

Next step was to find TDC. We kept cranking too far around so we pulled out my nifty TW components Accurate Timing Indicator
ruler (2).JPG
It made life easier and also measures degrees past TDC. Turns out my pulley also had a seam when the engine was at TDC, so everything was being double checked as we did the installation.

The roller (Vane Actuator Assembly) is installed first. To measure and make sure it was installed correctly I borrowed a plastic ruler from my kids.
ruler (1).JPG
I cut it so I had a 3 inch ruler. I wonder if they will want it back. The vane actuator fit well, so now to the timer. It fit well, also. That was expected.

The timer rod gave us the most trouble. Even though the engine ran well, we definitely had to adjust the timer rod. We made at least 6 trips to the basement to bend the rod. A timer rod needs to be twisted as you bend it. You cannot just straighten it.

The #1 spark plug should fire at 15 degrees past TDC. We measured it with the timing indicator, the seam in the pulley, and the pin holding the pulley on the crankshaft. Once we were satisfied it was correct, it was time to start the car.

My engine was rebuilt 3 years ago and had been driven from Milwaukee to Detroit 2 years ago, so we know it was in good shape. The coils were adjusted with my ECCT. So coils, timer, and engine all ready to go. We took it for a ride around the neighborhood and she sounded better than ever. Much smoother than she ran with the Anderson timer. But the real test would be on a tour.

A week later I joined the Dairyland Tin Lizzies group on their Carousel Tour of about 130 miles. She ran better than ever. Nice and smooth. Started right up every time, but I figured the real test was going up a hill. Every time we reached a hill I upped the throttle, and she rode the hill like I had turned on the cruise control. Amazing. I did not have to adjust the throttle or the timing.

The old Anderson timer has been relegated to the trunk. You never know if something will happen and you will need it, or maybe someone else will . Never hurts to carry a spare.

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Re: I finally installed my I-timer

Post by CudaMan » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:29 pm

Regarding finding TDC when alone, crumple up a piece of tissue paper and lightly stuff it into the #1 spark plug hole. Leave enough out so that it doesn't accidently fall inside the cylinder! When the piston is coming up on the compression stroke, the tissue paper wad will be shot up out of the hole. :)
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

Cap
First Name: Cap
Last Name: Weir
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 & 25 C Cab

Post by Cap » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:55 pm

I used these tools to bend and adjust for my E-Timer

https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/Prod ... el-t/tools

Love 'em

Cap

SurfCityGene
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Carrothers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Torpedo Roadster
MTFCA Number: 22905
MTFCI Number: 23068
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by SurfCityGene » Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:50 pm

David, Don't forget to follow those Extensive Maintenance Requirements. It's easy to forget about the frequent cleaning, sanding and lubing with that red grease that we had all grown to love. Enjoy
1912 Torpedo Roadster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic