Skirts: do they go to the edge?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
ivaldes1
First Name: Ignacio
Last Name: Valdes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50406
Board Member Since: 2016

Skirts: do they go to the edge?

Post by ivaldes1 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:23 pm

I am fitting the skirts for Hay wagon to Speedster project. It is a 26-27 frame, I do not know what year the skirts are. Do the skirts go to the edge of the frame or more than over the frame? If more over the frame than not, how much? I am going to have to cut out a notch for the brake quadrant right? Is the passenger side skirt supposed to be straight? It seems to deflect some. What size bolt and nut do the body hangers/mounts take?
Attachments
IMG_0760.jpg
IMG_0759.jpg
IMG_0758.jpg

kmatt2
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Matthiesen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 T Coupe, 16 T Open Express, 21 TT Flatbed. 15 T Roadster, 13 & 25 T Speedster , 51 Mercury 4 door sport sedan, 67 Mercury Cougar
MTFCA Number: 11598

Re: Skirts: do they go to the edge?

Post by kmatt2 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:04 pm

Ignacio, If you had a pre 1926 frame the large round holes in your aprons would line up with the body mount brackets. On the running board side of the aprons the metal channel would go under the inside edge of the stock running board. Did you put a groove in your wood running boards for the apron or bend the apron channel down to use wood screws into your running boards ?
In any case you can mark a line threw the center of the large apron holes and then mark where the center of the 1926 body brackets cross that line, this should position your aprons ok to drill the body / apron mount holes.
Now you can place the wood running boards at the edge of the apron and if all looks ok you can mark the boards for the running board cross frame bracketl to running board mounting holes. Make sure to check the fore / aft fit of the running boards and aprons with the fenders. You will have to do some fitting and adjusting to get it all to come together the way you want.
Your speedster is looking good and you have come a long way from that hay wagon.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:45 pm

The edge of the splash panel is usually in line with the outside edge of the frame. Is that the finish coat on the paintwork? It seems a shame to cut and drill them to make them fit now. The holes at the body/frame mountings are oversized as shown, to allow the panels to fit in position as they want to sit rather than putting them under tension with neat holes. This also helps greatly when assembly time comes around.

Allan from down under.

Topic author
ivaldes1
First Name: Ignacio
Last Name: Valdes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50406
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by ivaldes1 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:54 pm

Kevin the aprons came to me with a flat tongue where it goes under the wood which is pretty much exactly what is needed so I didn't have to do anything to them on that score. You answered my next question as to if/how to attach them to the wood using wood screws. I was wondering what to do about that. :-) Great idea to just draw a line on the existing big holes and why those holes exist. It is finally coming together!
kmatt2 wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:04 pm
Ignacio, If you had a pre 1926 frame the large round holes in your aprons would line up with the body mount brackets. On the running board side of the aprons the metal channel would go under the inside edge of the stock running board. Did you put a groove in your wood running boards for the apron or bend the apron channel down to use wood screws into your running boards ?
In any case you can mark a line threw the center of the large apron holes and then mark where the center of the 1926 body brackets cross that line, this should position your aprons ok to drill the body / apron mount holes.
Now you can place the wood running boards at the edge of the apron and if all looks ok you can mark the boards for the running board cross frame bracketl to running board mounting holes. Make sure to check the fore / aft fit of the running boards and aprons with the fenders. You will have to do some fitting and adjusting to get it all to come together the way you want.
Your speedster is looking good and you have come a long way from that hay wagon.

fordt
First Name: Rob
Last Name: Trippet
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Ames bodied Cloverleaf, 27 Roadster PU (in progress)
MTFCA Number: 19169

Post by fordt » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:10 pm

I’m at basically the same point with re-assembly….looking at this thread I’m assuming I should de-mount my cab and cowl and start with splash aprons and fenders??? Mine is a 26-27 roadster pickup and I was wondering what the re assembly order would be after paint work…?? I’ll keep searching threads as well over the next few days…

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:28 pm

Just reached this point on my assembly

Using Rootlieb aprons...1923 runabout...I took front and middle bolts out of body/frame points, set the aprons in place and leaned against the body while applying pressure with my shin...they slid right under the body...align one hole at the front mount point and then lean/nudge rear of apron onto the middle body bolt.

Ultimately, I had to move two of the 3 holes in each of my aprons and weld the Rootlieb holes closed in order to get things to really fit correctly.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

fordt
First Name: Rob
Last Name: Trippet
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Ames bodied Cloverleaf, 27 Roadster PU (in progress)
MTFCA Number: 19169

Post by fordt » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:31 pm

Front and middle bolts-as in front-under/in the cowl area and middle-directly in front of the seat pan in the crossmember? I reckon I might have to run over to the T Party at the end of the month and snap a few picts over/under/around a few 26-27 roadsters to get this in my head correctly. Such is the conundrum of the 15 year long restoration and when your other running T has an Ames body! But then again, I may have to call on Mr. House, I believe he has a 26 Roadster!

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:40 pm

Rob

your 26-27 is a different deal regarding mounting. Though Ignacio has a late frame, he is fitting a custom body and has aprons punched to fit over the mounting brackets...being late, and stock, yours is different...
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic