Help identifying rim

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
NY John T
First Name: John
Last Name: Killelea
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926

Help identifying rim

Post by NY John T » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:03 pm

Hi all,
I need help identifying a rim I just purchased. It is a split rim Hayes, advertised as a 21 inch. However, it is different from other split rims that I have. The overall size from outer edge to outer edge of the new rim (on the right) is 21 and 3/8ths and the width is 3 3/4 inches. My other rims are 22 1/4 outer edge to outer edge and only 3 1/2 wide. Also the rim weighs about 11 pounds as opposed to one of my other rims which is about 7 pounds. The Hayes rim has a bolt for the rim lock and my others have the flat lip which slides sideways. Can somebody educate me on the rim? Is it for a truck or a different (non-model T) car? Why is there a cut in the lug? Will my 4:50x21 tires fit this rim? The lugs of the new rim do NOT line up with the other lugs when I place the rims on top of each other. Will this rim bolt fit on to my other non-Hayes felloes? Here are a couple of pictures. I'm planning on using this new rim for a spare. Thanks so much,
John
End to end.jpg
Hayes lug.jpg

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Re: Help identifying rim

Post by Ruxstel24 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:07 pm

Probably a Chevy rim.
If the lugs are in a different position the valve stem won’t line up with the wheel.

D Stroud
First Name: David
Last Name: Stroud
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by D Stroud » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:35 am

Most likely a Chevy rim. They can be identified by the cut out lug as shown. As was said, the valve stem hole wont line up on a Model T wheel, but the hole can be relocated to fit a Hayes T wheel. The Model T Hayes rims have one of the lug holes just reamed out a bit so they will fit on the wheel. Some think that lug has been worn from being run loose. Not so. Dave
1925 mostly original coupe.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:21 am

The "worn" lug hole is in the lug nearest to the valve stem hole. It is slightly elongated, towards the valve. This allows the rim to e fitted Valve stem first, then lowered down, keeping the rim at an angle to the wheel, and when lowered, it can be pushed back over the felloe, the oblong lug hole allowing the lug to pass over the mounting bolt.

Because the Chev rims have the valve stems much closer to the lug, that nearest lug needs to be slotted to lower the rim and stem over the felloe

Allan from down under.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic