My T and A don’t want to be stored again

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
NHUSA
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Dimock
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 T with Mifflinburg Suburban body

My T and A don’t want to be stored again

Post by NHUSA » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:40 pm

We are in the process of moving from NH to North Carolina and I am putting the 19 T and 31 A into storage until we have a place for them in NC. When we have a place I’ll have freighter Jim handle the trip. It took me awhile to find a place because the T is 7 ft 2 inches tall and will not fit thru a standard door.
Last week started the T and removed it from the garage then I drove the A to the storage unit. I shut it off to spread a few tarps on the floor to collect the drippings and it would not start when I tried to start it. A guy on a dirt bike came by and helped me push it into the unit.
My wife picked me up and I tried to start the T. Nothing…. I checked everything. I used a voltmeter to check everything out seemed that the wires were ok and I bypassed the solenoid to check it out. The Led stoplights worked so I figured that it had to be the starter so I ordered one from Langs and used the lawn tractor to pull the T into the garage. I also ordered a new solenoid because the old one was balky at times.
A few days later the starter showed up and I when thru the painful process of removing the bendix, etc., replaced the solenoid, and putting the new starter in. The bendix is always a pinta.
When done I pressed the button on the solenoid and …… nothing. I got out the voltmeter and every thing looked good except for no 12 volts between the starter and block. I thought that it had to be the ground, so I ran a separate ground wire to the bolt on the starter.
Still nothing, so I went into the house and had a glass of wine.
The next morning I ripped out all the wires in the starter circuit and replaced them. It worked. The starter turned faster than ever before.
The best I can figure is that it was in the ground wire from the battery. It handled enough current for the LED stop lights but not enough for the starter. It most likely was messed up for years…
Bottom line. The T and A have minds of their own and tried to stop me from putting then into storage.
NH - Where I used to live - not the carburetor ! :lol:

MichaelPawelek
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Pawelek
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Touring, 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: My T and A don’t want to be stored again

Post by MichaelPawelek » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:05 pm

It’s usually something simple!

John Codman
First Name: John
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Re: My T and A don’t want to be stored again

Post by John Codman » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:32 am

No offense intended, but this is why you find the problem before you start throwing parts at it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic