Tires and Tubes on the Cut-Down Touring

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Retro54
First Name: Andrew
Last Name: Blaydon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Cut-down touring
Board Member Since: 2018

Tires and Tubes on the Cut-Down Touring

Post by Retro54 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:27 pm

Dad and I hit a HUGE milestone in the Model T project today! The new tires and tubes I bought back in March are now mounted on my newly painted rims and are back on the car! Dad and I are very pleased! Due to the shortage of new brass stem tubes, we used a method popularized by folks such as Steve Jelf and cut the stems off brand new Hartford rubber tubes to install old metal Schrader valve stems. It turned out to be pretty simple once we got thru the first one! Can't wait to see how they stay up. We like the benefit of a brass stem that gets fastened to the rim, keeping the tube from rotating within the tire and ruining the valve stem. I totally understand others have different viewpoints. I am mostly posting this as a thank you to Steve and others who have championed the effort and provided clear instruction through their website and posts on the forum. Also as a testimonial to amateurs like us who have never done this retrofit procedures before. See the photos for a partial description of the process. I'm sure there may be one or two things we did wrong or different than seasoned T'ers.. but hey, that's how you learn. See the link to Dauntless Geezer below for a better step by step instruction. Might have this puppy on the road soon!

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG110.html

Thank you, Andy
Attachments
The tools of the tire shop trade.. vintage brass valve stems are in the bottom right..
The tools of the tire shop trade.. vintage brass valve stems are in the bottom right..
Using an Exacto knife, we cut the sub-par rubber valve stem off the brand new tube! After this photo, we took the tube to the grinder wheel to smooth out the cut, before mounting the valve stem. Makes the tube nice and smooth. Boy i hope this works!
Using an Exacto knife, we cut the sub-par rubber valve stem off the brand new tube! After this photo, we took the tube to the grinder wheel to smooth out the cut, before mounting the valve stem. Makes the tube nice and smooth. Boy i hope this works!
The new valve stems we removed. They are vulcanized to the tube. If you notice, there is hardly a flange at the bottom to reinforce the attachment to the tube. On the other hand, the flange on the brass stems is about the size of a quarter and ribbed for sealing to the new rubber tube when the tube is crimped between the flange and the ribbed bridge washer.
The new valve stems we removed. They are vulcanized to the tube. If you notice, there is hardly a flange at the bottom to reinforce the attachment to the tube. On the other hand, the flange on the brass stems is about the size of a quarter and ribbed for sealing to the new rubber tube when the tube is crimped between the flange and the ribbed bridge washer.
New valve stem placed into the tube. Fits like a glove!
New valve stem placed into the tube. Fits like a glove!
Bridge washer goes on next. The tabs get tightened against the rim once the outer nut gets installed. Notice the dimple ring in the washer, this rib mates with the flange on the inside, squeezing the tube in between creating an air tight seal.
Bridge washer goes on next. The tabs get tightened against the rim once the outer nut gets installed. Notice the dimple ring in the washer, this rib mates with the flange on the inside, squeezing the tube in between creating an air tight seal.
Last edited by Retro54 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
Retro54

Re: Tires and Tubes on the Cut-Down Touring using the JELF method

Post by Retro54 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:29 pm

The next steps!
Attachments
Inner retainer nut gets righted against the bridge washer and the stem flange inside the tube, creating an air tight fit.
Inner retainer nut gets righted against the bridge washer and the stem flange inside the tube, creating an air tight fit.
Rim and tube...
Rim and tube...
Newer clincher tires get a little close inside the rim, so a relief cut is made for the brass stem.
Newer clincher tires get a little close inside the rim, so a relief cut is made for the brass stem.
Relief cuts complete.
Relief cuts complete.
Tube and flap inside a new Universal T driver tire!
Tube and flap inside a new Universal T driver tire!

Topic author
Retro54

Post by Retro54 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:30 pm

Next Steps!
Attachments
The schrader valve tool is placed on the stem temporarily to keep it in place.
The schrader valve tool is placed on the stem temporarily to keep it in place.
Starting to mount the tire. Dad uses tire irons while I hold the tire down
Starting to mount the tire. Dad uses tire irons while I hold the tire down
Tire mounted! I prematurely installed the outer retainer nut. This actually goes on the outside of the steel feloe of the wooden spoke wheel.
Tire mounted! I prematurely installed the outer retainer nut. This actually goes on the outside of the steel feloe of the wooden spoke wheel.
Checking the clincher bead seated in the rim.
Checking the clincher bead seated in the rim.
You eyes are not fooling you! 60 PSI is needed to hold the clincher tire against the rim. These are high pressure tubes and tires!
You eyes are not fooling you! 60 PSI is needed to hold the clincher tire against the rim. These are high pressure tubes and tires!

Topic author
Retro54

Post by Retro54 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:31 pm

Next Steps... lots of Steps!
Attachments
Again, the wrong location. Goes inside the steel feloe, but showing close up of it anyways.
Again, the wrong location. Goes inside the steel feloe, but showing close up of it anyways.
Front two tires mounted! Sure looks good. Hopefully our tubes hold!
Front two tires mounted! Sure looks good. Hopefully our tubes hold!
Rear tire mounted! I'm proud of my painted rims.. I think the color and sheen turned out good.
Rear tire mounted! I'm proud of my painted rims.. I think the color and sheen turned out good.
All four wheels.... ready to go!
All four wheels.... ready to go!

Topic author
Retro54

Post by Retro54 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:32 pm

SOME MORE SHOTS OF THE FINISHED PROJET... CYA IN HERSHEY???
Attachments
Would you just look at that!
Would you just look at that!
Sweet rubber tired perfection.... or imperfection that only a true patina can show.
Sweet rubber tired perfection.... or imperfection that only a true patina can show.
Me and my T... let's go for a ride! Stay tuned!
Me and my T... let's go for a ride! Stay tuned!

Dan B
First Name: Dan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring

Re: Tires and Tubes on the Cut-Down Touring

Post by Dan B » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:01 pm

Looks great! Photos will for sure help someone in the future. I think Royce was also a proponent of this method and had a similar post years ago. Sure wish he was still on the forum.
1923 Touring

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:17 pm

Looks like both beads @ the same time. Right on. The V notches are fine for your metal stems. A bit light if using the rubber stem. Looks good.
The more you do, the easier they get.

Topic author
Retro54

Post by Retro54 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:55 am

Dan B wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:01 pm
Looks great! Photos will for sure help someone in the future. I think Royce was also a proponent of this method and had a similar post years ago. Sure wish he was still on the forum.
I think you are right. Us younger guys in our 30s are nothing without he experience of the 'oldr guys' posting photos and sharing secrets.

Topic author
Retro54

Post by Retro54 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:57 am

speedytinc wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:17 pm
Looks like both beads @ the same time. Right on. The V notches are fine for your metal stems. A bit light if using the rubber stem. Looks good.
The more you do, the easier they get.
It does get easier! Ha.. dad and I did these in about 3 hours. Fresh pliable rubber helps too, as does a work surface at hip height. No bending over. Although my father has done several sets by himself, I think two sets of hands makes the project much more managable..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic