OCF Trip Report—The Geezer Returns

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

OCF Trip Report—The Geezer Returns

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:31 am

First, an explanation of why there were no reports from the road this time: websites will no longer accept the obsolete browsers on my laptop. I've resisted updating the operating system and browsers because that would mean losing some useful applications I like and use. But it appears that I will have to lose them if I am to post from that computer again. The rather distasteful icing on that cake is that my camera, along with all the photos on it, was stolen at the OCF. That means I have no photos to post.

It's now late and I am pooped, so I will post some highlights and lowlights of this year's trip later.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Re: OCF Trip Report—The Geezer Returns

Post by DHort » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:19 am

Steve

You have my permission to download my pictures on FB with me and Keith, and the picture of the MTFCA group by the fire engine. I did not take a lot of photos, but if you send me your phone number I will send you what I have.

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:14 am

Stole your camera ... I would like to think a crowd like that is above
such scummy behavior, but once again I am proven wrong in my desire
to believe that humans aren't scum unless trained to be otherwise.

While deployed to a small Forward Operating Base in AFG, a Marine
somehow lost track of all training and Ooh-RAH ! and stole my watch,
while I was in the shower. Time coordination was critical, and I reported
my situation to Command, as I was suddenly made unreliable for coordinated
linkups and ops. It was a pretty stupid move, as there was only about
50 of us in camp, and Gunny got to the bottom of things pretty quick.
The watch was returned and much pain was issued to the thief, amidst
a long and rousing volley of inspirational thoughts on what it means to
be a Marine.

Sorry you had this experience.
More people are doing it today than ever before !

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:00 am

I guess I will have to be more careful at OCF. I have a Photo that I will let Steve explain.
20210919_065958.jpg

ThreePedalTapDancer
First Name: Ed
Last Name: Martin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1909 Touring

Post by ThreePedalTapDancer » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:37 am

I would put out an APB on the camera on all the model t forums. It may have been “found” or possibly someone found their conscience when they got home with the camera. It’s worth a shot I guess.

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:44 am

Hard to believe that a digital camera would have enough value to be stolen these days, most folks use their phones to take pictures. Anyway, hope it turns up.
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

WayneJ
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Jorgensen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout, 1918 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 31697
MTFCI Number: 23399
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by WayneJ » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:41 am

If you haven't already, you may wish to contact the Henry Ford Museum "Lost & Found".
Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL
1915 Runabout
1918 Runabout

Topic author
Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:48 pm

If you haven't already, you may wish to contact the Henry Ford Museum "Lost & Found".

That's the first thing I did when I realized that the camera was gone. On Sunday afternoon about two I was feeling woozy, as my Aunt Mary used to say, probably from dehydration, and went to buy a drink. I set the camera on the counter while I got change out of my pocket, went and sat down while I had my cold drink and recovered, then returned to my car. At that point I realized what I had done. When I returned to the concession stand the camera was gone, of course. Immediately I went to the customer services office and filed the lost & found report. Then I went and listened to Taslimah Bey, a highlight of the OCF for me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF3IvroFkaA She ended her concert with a New Orleans style rendition of The Entertainer, with a slow dirge followed by a joyful return. What she does with the slow first part is so beautiful and soulful that it makes this old man cry. The video doesn't do it justice. The concert ended at 4:30. That was plenty of time for the camera to be turned in and for customer service to phone me. That it hadn't and they didn't confirmed that the camera was stolen, and I headed for home.

The original plan for this trip was to head for Salina on Thursday, September 2, and be there to see the Union Pacific Big Boy arrive and perhaps get a photo of the car beside the monster locomotive, then head east for Michigan on Friday morning. That would afford time for sight seeing and picture taking along the way, with a stop in Jefferson City to see friend Garrett, who graduated from college this year and is working for the newspaper there. But fate put a stop to that. As the planned departure date approached I felt like crap. Lethargy, ennui, and malaise prevailed. I constantly felt that I was not quite knocking on the the door of the barfitorium, but was in the neighborhood. Testing at the clinic determined that I was anemic, and I was prescribed iron tablets and vitamin C. I decided that if I felt well enough in time to get to Dearborn by Friday afternoon I would still make the trip. By the morning of Monday September 6, I was feeling fine and left home at 9:30 AM. But those several days of feeling too sick to make proper preparations would come back to haunt me.

To be continued...
Last edited by Steve Jelf on Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Dropacent
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Post by Dropacent » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:36 am

Maybe FJ snagged it. Stand by, if he did , he will be bragging about it soon. Glad you made an overall safe trip, Steve. I couldn’t drive one that far, even in my dreams.

KeithG
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Gumbinger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '14 Touring, '26 RPU, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
MTFCA Number: 4661
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 6866
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by KeithG » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:47 pm

Steve, It's sad that someone at a well regarded activity like the OCF would steal a camera, even though it was forgotten where it was laid.
That said, I have several pictures I'll send to you that you can use if you like. Send your contact information to me. My contact information is inside the front cover of The Vintage Ford.
Keith
'14 Touring, '26 Roadster Pickup, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
Motto: It's hard to build a garage that's tooooo big! :D

Topic author
Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:49 pm

Yes, for Keith and anybody else who wants to send pictures for me to post here:
j e l f 1 @ c o x . n e t with the spaces removed.

I should also explain the photo Dallas posted. I'm lying on the floor of the runabout trying to fix the phone charger I installed in the car. I got it working, but it failed again on the way home and I got here with the battery charge down to 3%. That's one of the things I'll be changing on the car before I make any more trips.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

DHort

Post by DHort » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:09 pm

I think next year we should all drive to Steve's house. We will put Dallas in the lead. I think it will only take us 2 weeks to get there.

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:23 pm

30 mph is pretty comfotable fot the TT Dave in Chicago High. I would need to get the seat finished or take my chiropractor along with us. If I could get about 12 of you to ride in the back, it would ride like a dream.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564

Post by Mark Gregush » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:25 pm

At a national Model A show/tour, a friend of mine; someone took his carburetor off and swapped it with a more common Zenith. So yes, stuff does happen. Still a bummer when stuff like this happens! (at least they did put another one back on, so he could tour!)
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:16 pm

Mark Gregush wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:25 pm
At a national Model A show/tour, a friend of mine; someone took his carburetor off and swapped it with a more common Zenith. So yes, stuff does happen. Still a bummer when stuff like this happens! (at least they did put another one back on, so he could tour!)
Reminds me of how you steal a new car battery.
1. Swipe a battery.
2. Come back a few days later, then swipe the new, replacement battery.
3. Reinstall the first, used battery.

Very wrong of course, but clever nonetheless.

Steve,

I'm very sorry this happened to you. Someone recently swiped a digital camera I keep at work. It was a crappy Kodak that I paid $80 for, 10 years ago. It meant little to me, yet it was very maddening, but worse still, a very disappointing commentary on fellow "human beings". :(

Topic author
Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:39 pm

So Dallas will lead the convoy here and we'll all follow the big green TT to OCF. Sounds like a project for old retired folks who can spend the time. :)
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:10 am

As mentioned before, I got a late start on Day One, leaving home at 9:30 AM. The Kansas part of this trip is on back roads. While I often travel on US highways, US 166 is different. There is no interstate nearby to lure away the fast traffic. There are just too many big trucks rolling along at or above the 65 mph speed limit on this two lane highway to suit my taste, so I take the county and township roads, many of them unpaved. They take me through the old towns of Cedar Vale, Hewins, Elgin, Chautauqua, Caney, Coffeyville, Chetopa, and on to Baxter Springs, where I catch old US 66 for Joplin and the other Missouri towns farther east. Elgin is an old cattle trail head with a local literary connection. It is spang on the state line, with the southern boundary of the town being the Oklahoma border. Texas cattle drives came up through Indian Territory to catch the railroad at Elgin. C.M. Scott, first editor of the Arkansas City Traveler from its founding in 1870, gave an account of a horse thief caught near Elgin:

He found a rope, and picked it up, and walked with it away.
It chanced that to the other end a horse was hitched, they say.
They took a rope and tied it up onto a swinging limb;
It happened tat the other end was somehow hitched to him.

Coffeyville, of course, is the home and burial place of Bob Dalton and his gang, who ultimately failed as robbers but were a great success as targets.

Dalton Gang dead.ng.png

From Baxter Springs, old 66 takes us through Riverton and Galena and across the state line to the Missouri towns of Joplin, Carthage, Halltown, and Springfield.

When Sam Walton was alive, and for years after, Walmarts were happy to have travelers park overnight in their lots and buy stuff. But now corporate Richards are in charge, and they will run you off. So in Springfield I parked in the lot at an Applebee's, which does not open early, and bedded down beside the car. Some folks are appalled by the notion of sleeping on the ground with a tarp, a foam mat, and a sleeping bag, but I have been camping since 1946 that I remember, and probably before that that I don't, so it's normal for me.

Tomorrow: No, it's not a geyser.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

ivaldes1
First Name: Ignacio
Last Name: Valdes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50406
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by ivaldes1 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:41 am

When RV'ing and settling down for the night, Catholic church campus public streets usually have quiet spots with trees away enough from the main buildings. I park on the public road around the campus for the night. No one has ever bothered me. Nearly every large enough town has one and they are much easier to find now with mapping software. Divine protection too maybe. -- IV

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:30 am

Uncivil people and predatory lawyers have done a lot to destroy WalMart's soul. Getting rid of friendly, competent checkout people and replacing the greeter with a covid mask cop have just about finished off the Arkansas general store atmosphere Wal Mart stores once had.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:42 am

It seems to depend what part of the country the Walmart is in...near where I live, in the summer it seems as 1/2 of the tourists stay in Yellowstone and the other 1/2 spend the night in the Cody Walmart parking lot.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:33 am

On Day Two, Tuesday September 7, I left Springfield MO at 7:00 AM on old US 66. Proceeding northeast and surviving a couple of unmarked intersections at Marshfield, I caught MO 5 at Lebanon and headed north, arriving in Camdenton about 10:00 AM. There I filled up, added a quart of oil, and continued north on US 54. I stopped for a short visit with Model T buddy George Clipner and his sister and Steve the cat at Lake Ozark after wasting some time because the road across the dam was closed for resurfacing. George helped me reattach the phone charger which had come loose, then I hit the road again. After crossing the Missouri River on US 54 at Jefferson City, I turned east on MO 94, which follows the river. Most of the way this road is on the flood plain, but for a few miles it goes into a stretch of hills and sharp turns, with a couple of hills so steep I had to low pedal them near the top. Just past Rhineland, with its picturesque old church, I caught MO 19 north, winding through the hills to New Florence, where I gassed up again. The atlas and the calculator tell me that from Camdenton to New Florence my mileage averaged about 20 mpg. I consider that pretty good, considering the amount of hilly driving it included. A few miles north of New Florence, at Montgomery City, I turned onto MO 161, which goes northeast toward Bowling Green. It was on this bucolic byway that I had the first big adventure of the trip. The car began struggling on hills, and before long the struggle ended with a dead T in the road just short of the top of a hill, with the cooling system at full boil. This was not just minor over heating. It was a scalding boil, with steam shooting out of the overflow tube and billowing out of the filler when I removed the cap. Along with the overheating, I found one spark plug so loose that there had to be little or no compression in that cylinder, and a couple of other plugs not much better than finger tight. A local man stopped to see if he could help, and fortunately he had a large cooler full of water to add to the gallon I had with me. While he waved traffic around, I retightened the plugs and refilled the radiator. I got the car started and headed on up the road, stopping at every little town to put in another gallon or two of water. I got to Bowling Green late in the afternoon, where I bought groceries at the Walmart, dined off the running board as usual, and turned in nearby for a good night's sleep.

IMG_1573 copy.JPG
Rhinelad,MO, on my 2018 trip.

Tomorrow: Find me an old guy.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:33 pm

Day Three, Wednesday, September 8: This car is shedding unpinned fasteners like a cat sheds hair. That's a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the idea. First thing after breakfast I bought another 10-32 nut to replace a coil box terminal nut, plus a couple of extras. Another means I already replaced another lost one yesterday at Camdenton. When I get home I'll put on correct replacements and put star washers behind all the coil box terminal nuts. With that done and the radiator filled, I drove from Bowling Green to Louisiana, crossed the Mississippi into Illinois and proceeded through Pittsfield, Detroit, Florence, and Riggston to Jacksonville. I was still putting in a gallon or more pf water at every stop. At Jacksonville I stopped at the auto shop at the local Walmart and asked for a tire pressure check. When I told the guy at the counter what kind of car it was he didn't bat an eye, giving the impression that this was nothing out of the ordinary, something they did every day. He and a guy from the shop went out to fetch the car. I stayed there and waited. After five minutes they hadn't brought the car into the shop, so I went out to the lot and found the two of them standing there looking at it. I showed them how to start it, and they had me drive it into the shop.

With tires all properly inflated and a full radiator, I continued east. At New Berlin I put the last gallon of water into the radiator and phoned George. He looked up radiator shops in Springfield and called me back with two numbers. The first one never answered the phone, but the second shop answered and gave me directions how to get there. When I arrived at Ellenburg's Radiator I was happy to find that Dan, who worked on my radiator, is no green kid. He has worked on lots of old time radiators and knew exactly what to do. The leak was at the top of the radiator where the overflow tube comes out of the tank. Dan removed the tube, cleaned it up, and soldered it back in. It has been fine ever since. By then it was quitting time, and I drove to the Walmart on Dirksen Parkway and bought my evening groceries. When I returned to the car, which I had parked on the adjoining Lowe's parking lot, I found coolant leaking out of the car. The problem had nothing to do with the radiator. The middle casting plug was loose. Using a breaker bar as a drift, I bashed the nickel back in the hole and, like the radiator, it has been fine ever since. Through the evening several people stopped to take pictures of the car and ask questions. By ten the parade of visitors was over and I bedded down under the trees for a good night's rest.

IMG_1581 copy.JPG
Pike County courthouse, Pittsfield, IL, 9-4-18

Tomorrow: Herb Shriner country.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Novice
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring. 1923/26 Open Express. 1920 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 49832
MTFCI Number: 24686
Board Member Since: 2017

Thieves every where!

Post by Novice » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:42 am

Steve. Might check social networks to see if any of Your pictures have been posted. I wouldn't be surprised if the worm that stole Your camera posted the pictures on their face book page. or else where. Did You have date time stamp turned on. would help identify pictures. Might want to invest in a camera strap and hang it around Your neck next time. Thieves every where.

Topic author
Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:08 am

The strap is a good idea. I have one on my film camera, and will do the same with the digital.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

George N Lake Ozark
First Name: George P
Last Name: Clipner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '26 Touring
MTFCI Number: 18665

Post by George N Lake Ozark » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:22 am

7D9F3753-AC16-4C07-92DE-3BD4A4C1426F.jpeg
Funny thing about Steve when he’d for me to look something up for him, he always referred to it as an “assignment “. Retired teachers 🤦‍♂️ Oh and this is Steve the cat AKA Bull Kitty.

Novice
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring. 1923/26 Open Express. 1920 depot hack

Post by Novice » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:09 pm

Steve another great trip to OCF a little more problematic than last year. Sorry You couldn't rendezvous with Big Boy 4014. Bob Shirley did and there may be photos in December T mags. George that's a big boy. need to feed Him. Pictures of two of mine. Misty and her brother Frosty who is now 21 yrs old. King and Queen. Seems like we are running a kitty Hospice.
Attachments
JT &Auto show n motion. 2005 Flordia trip with Bruce & more 004.JPG
JT &Auto show n motion. 2005 Flordia trip with Bruce & more 001.JPG

Topic author
Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:34 pm

Day Four, Thursday, September 9: In yesterday's thrilling episode I misremembered the adventure of the leaking casting plug. It was actually this morning. I was driving down Dirksen Parkway on my way to McDonald's when the guy in the car next to me informed me that I had a lot of water leaking out. It was in the McDonald's parking lot that I pounded the plug back in. It was also at this McDonald's I learned that I had been banished from the internet because of my obsolete browsers. With the leak fixed and no internet to post an update, I headed east on old US 36. In Decatur I stopped at a bank and bought two rolls of dollars, which I much prefer over paper singles. If our Congress had any sense, we would stop wasting millions printing new paper singles that wear out and have to be replaced in a year and a half, and just use the coins that will last half a century or more.

At Decatur US 36 leaves the interstate and goes directly east into Indiana. I covered this without incident and proceeded through Indiana by way of Montezuma, Rockville, Crawfordsville, Lebanon, Noblesville, Elwood, and Marion to Huntington, where I ran out of daylight and camped for the night. Part of that route was through covered bridge country, but the radiator incident had put me on a very tight schedule and I needed to just cover miles. The bridges will have to wait for another time.

IMG_97-98.jpg
Indiana has some lovely old courthouses. 9-6-2018.
Last edited by Steve Jelf on Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Wayne Sheldon
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:22 am

Wonderful reading Steve J ! I enjoy riding along, hoping I can do this myself some day soon.

"In Decatur I stopped at a bank and bought two rolls of dollars, which I much prefer over paper singles. If our Congress had any sense, we would stop wasting millions printing new paper singles that wear out and have to be replaced in a year and a half, and just use the coins that will last half a century or more."

I have been arguing that for nearly fifty years.
In recent decades, I sometimes elaborate that forty years ago, I would almost always have at least three dollars in change in my pocket (a habit I still can't seem to break?). This was because I often needed to make 'out of zone' pay phone calls, that often cost forty cents to sometimes over a dollar! I needed to have change to make those calls. (People today just don't remember what it was like before cell phone plans that allowed unlimited calls halfway around the world!) And sometimes I needed to make two or three such calls a day.
More than a few times though, I would end up needing a bit more gasoline than I had planned on. More than a few times, that three dollars would buy the gas I needed, or my lunch? At sixty cents a gallon, that three dollars change would buy five gallons of gas, plenty to get me home.
Today, a pocket full of change might not even get you one gallon of gas.
Pennies (in spite of my Scottish heritage) for decades now have been pointless. Today, nickels are as well pointless. Both should be eliminated from circulation, the dimes and quarters moved into their till slots, and the vacated dime and quarter slots filled with larger value coins.
One dollar bills should have been eliminated decades ago, replaced by twos or even threes.
Unfortunately, in this instance? It may not be the government's failure to act (or maybe it is?)? The government has tried, a little bit, and in at least a couple coinage decisions, badly, to make this change. However, the public has fought it. John Q Public likes to complain about the government wasting billions of dollars, but when asked to adapt to different coinage and bill denominations, it has been the public that has resisted it. Then again, THIS is where we need good leadership! And THAT is where the government has failed on this issue.

My apologies for the drift.

Now, BACK to our regularly scheduled program! Tune in tomorrow, for the further (or is it farther?) adventures of Steve J and his intrepid T !

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:47 am

How about abandoning the policy of relentless inflation?

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:04 am

I don't even carry coins! I use them for tips, rounding off everything to even dollars or leaving them in a tip jar. I can remember when a dollar's worth of gas would last for a while and about 2.50 would fill a tank. We filled a grocery cart for about $10 and a dinner in a restaurant which cost over $1 was an expensive dinner and 10c tip was all that was expected.
But today, many, if not most people use credit or debit cards and don't even use cash anymore.
The problem with most of this is that when the computers crash permanently, and the electric grid goes down, our civilization will come to an end and no one will even know what happened during the last century, because records will all be on line and history available will be ancient.
Anyway, enjoy what we have while we can. Things will and always change, not always for the better, however they will change
Norm

Topic author
Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:14 am

Day Five: Friday, September 10, 2021. Getting an early start before 7:00 AM, from Huntington I proceeded north through Fort Wayne. This old town is not laid out in neat rectangles. It's more complicated. But I found an easier way through it than the way I went two years ago. From there the route continued through Auburn, Waterloo, and Angola, crossed into Michgan, and on through Kinderhook to Coldwater, where I caught US 12. The bad parts of this road had made such an impression on me during previous trips that I had forgotten that the western part of it is actually pretty good. It's from Saline on into Detroit that it becomes WHUMP-rattle-rattle-rattle, WHUMP-rattle-rattle, WHUMP-Whump-rattle-rattle-rattle-rattle, etc., etc. But I went along without any untoward adventures and pulled into the parking lot at THF at 3:00 PM CDT. I had forgotten that Michigan is on Eastern Time and it was 4:00 PM EDT. This was of no practical importance to me, and I didn't bother to reset my watch. I went to the information desk at THF and asked if it would be a problem that I forgot to bring my mailed packet, and the answer was no. Just come to the check-in at 5:30 and they would have my window placard and other handouts. So I drove the few miles back out to Wayne, where I was to stay with Jason's family. They were gone for the evening to Riley's football game, but I phoned Jason and asked about local dining. He told me about Los Amigos, north on Wayne Road, and I went there and had very good carnitas for my one restaurant meal of the trip. I used my own Yucateco verde. Especially here in Anglo white bread country, many restaurants have no bottled salsa picante to add a little bite to the good eats. So I travel prepared, with my own bottle in the car. With an after-dinner Diet Pepsi refill from the Marathon at Wayne & Glenwood, I was done for the evening.
el-yucateco-hot-sauce-1.jpg
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:07 am

Days 6 & 7, September 11 & 12: The Event. Friday night I had carnitas on my plate and on in my mind, and I forgot all about check-in at 5:30. Apparently the staff at THF had prepared for this, and I had no trouble checking in Saturday morning. The event was somewhat reduced from previous years (about 250 entries, I believe, and a limit on walk-ins), but this made driving-around easier. As usual, there was much driving-around, walking around seeing the cars and exhibits, and riding around in other folks' cars. It seems every time I saw Dave Hjortnaes he was riding in or driving a different car. The musicians playing ragtime piano and twenties jazz were excellent. My favorite is Taslimah Bey, whose special arrangement of The Entertainer is so soulful and beautiful that it makes me cry. The Saturday evening headlight parade was lovely as usual. Jeron Takacs and family, Seamus, and others were camping on the grounds, and Jeron's dad fed me goulash, so I didn't have to leave for dinner. Sunday afternoon I was feeling dehydrated and went to the concession stand for a cold soda. That's where I took the camera out of my pocket and set it on the counter while I got change out of my pocket, and forgot it there when I sat down to have my drink. When I realized it was gone, I went to the customer service office immediately and filed a lost & found report. That was about 2:30. I wandered about some more, went to my car and prepared to leave, and went to hear Ms Bey again. She ended her concert at 4:30. I knew that if the camera hadn't been turned in by then it wouldn't be, and I headed west. By sundown I was at Clinton, and just west of town I found the perfect camping spot. On the north side of the road was a field access with big trees on both sides of it. I could drive in the access, park behind the trees, and be invisible from the road.

Keith Gumbinger sent me some OCF photos to share, but the website won't accept them. Maybe I can figure out a way later. So far they are the "wrong format", whatever that means.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:08 am

How many miles do you calculate you drive each way (+/-) ?

What is a comfortable day's mileage for you ?
More people are doing it today than ever before !

dykker5502
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Deichmann
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1921 Roadster P/U, 1922 Fordor (danish custom body)
MTFCA Number: 29116

Post by dykker5502 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:04 am

Steve Jelf wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:07 am
Keith Gumbinger sent me some OCF photos to share, but the website won't accept them. Maybe I can figure out a way later. So far they are the "wrong format", whatever that means.
Steve, they are most likely to big! In Windows we have "Paint" which can make pictures smaller. I'm certain MAC iOS have a similar utility. Remember to save them under another name so you keep the original HiRes versions.
Ford Model T 1914 Touring
Ford Model T 1921 Roadster Pick-up
Ford Model T 1922 Fordor (danish build body)
ECCT, Strobospark, HCCT(Sold), Rebuilding coils

Bills Auto Works
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Squires
MTFCA Number: 49996
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by Bills Auto Works » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:16 am

dykker5502 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:04 am
Steve Jelf wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:07 am
Steve, they are most likely to big! In Windows we have "Paint" which can make pictures smaller. I'm certain MAC iOS have a similar utility. Remember to save them under another name so you keep the original HiRes versions.

I use Paint to convert my pictures from a JPEG. to a GIF. & then they post fine. They are generally 800x600. Others might do it differently, but this works for me.

God Bless
Bill
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thr ... ed.614419/
Your QUALITY Model T Transporter in Business Since 1983 & Still Going Strong

57,64,66 Pont
(2)66 Amb
67 Marlin
67 Toro
73 Nova
(2)92 XJS
07 XLR-V

Topic author
Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:04 am

No, they weren't too big. It was some other weird thing about a "wrong format". I found that I could import them into GIMP 2.10 and export them back, still in jpeg, and they would post.

G 1.JPG
The Gumbinger 1914 arriving at THF.

G 2.jpg
G 3.jpg
G 4.JPG
G 5.JPG
Recognize the place? This is where visitors can take a ride in the Greenfield Village Model T's. It was closed and the Village Fords were grounded.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:06 am

G 6.JPG
Ask the man who owns one.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

John Codman
First Name: John
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:21 pm

Steve Jelf wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:10 am
As mentioned before, I got a late start on Day One, leaving home at 9:30 AM. The Kansas part of this trip is on back roads. While I often travel on US highways, US 166 is different. There is no interstate nearby to lure away the fast traffic. There are just too many big trucks rolling along at or above the 65 mph speed limit on this two lane highway to suit my taste, so I take the county and township roads, many of them unpaved. They take me through the old towns of Cedar Vale, Hewins, Elgin, Chautauqua, Caney, Coffeyville, Chetopa, and on to Baxter Springs, where I catch old US 66 for Joplin and the other Missouri towns farther east. Elgin is an old cattle trail head with a local literary connection. It is spang on the state line, with the southern boundary of the town being the Oklahoma border. Texas cattle drives came up through Indian Territory to catch the railroad at Elgin. C.M. Scott, first editor of the Arkansas City Traveler from its founding in 1870, gave an account of a horse thief caught near Elgin:

He found a rope, and picked it up, and walked with it away.
It chanced that to the other end a horse was hitched, they say.
They took a rope and tied it up onto a swinging limb;
It happened tat the other end was somehow hitched to him.

Coffeyville, of course, is the home and burial place of Bob Dalton and his gang, who ultimately failed as robbers but were a great success as targets.

Dalton Gang dead.ng.png

From Baxter Springs, old 66 takes us through Riverton and Galena and across the state line to the Missouri towns of Joplin, Carthage, Halltown, and Springfield.

When Sam Walton was alive, and for years after, Walmarts were happy to have travelers park overnight in their lots and buy stuff. But now corporate Richards are in charge, and they will run you off. So in Springfield I parked in the lot at an Applebee's, which does not open early, and bedded down beside the car. Some folks are appalled by the notion of sleeping on the ground with a tarp, a foam mat, and a sleeping bag, but I have been camping since 1946 that I remember, and probably before that that I don't, so it's normal for me.

Tomorrow: No, it's not a geyser.
Just don't bed down on the ground here in sunny SW Florida Steve. Once you have your first encounter with Fire Ants, you will know why.

Jerry VanOoteghem

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:16 pm

Steve Jelf wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:04 am
Recognize the place? This is where visitors can take a ride in the Greenfield Village Model T's. It was closed and the Village Fords were grounded.[/size]
Steve,

The Model T rides were in fact shut down I believe. However, the pavillion that you show is a new addition to the village and not the Model T livery. It's a public produce market that was in the City of Detroit in the 1800's. It was later moved to Belle Isle, an island park on the Detroit River, where it decayed for many decades. I remember seeing its decline when I was a kid and feeling bad that nobody cared to save it. When it disappeared, I thought it had finally been scrapped. Low & behold, it comes to life at THF! It will once again be an active produce market, within the village. Very pleased to see it entering a new phase of life!! :)

I'm very much enjoying your updates by the way!

Topic author
Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:02 pm

Yes, of course it's the vegetable market. I should have recognized the construction fence, at least. The second and third cars are in the former 1915 parking area.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Wayne Sheldon

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:09 am

Those photos look great!
I am wondering who the Pope Hartford and the Stanley Mountain Wagon belong to? I know a couple people with Pope Hartfords, but do not recognize that one.

Chris Paulsen
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Paulsen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 Touring, 1914 Pickup
MTFCA Number: 29356

Post by Chris Paulsen » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:19 am

Wayne- the Pope-Hartford belongs to Eldon Eby. It was a part of Don Boulton’s collection for many years. I imagine many folks here will recognize it from there, and the Chickasha visits.

Dan Haynes
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Haynes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: several

Post by Dan Haynes » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:54 am

That's Mike May's Stanley Mountain Wagon
Michael-May-Morris-Lubricants.jpg
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Topic author
Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:27 am

Aaarrrgh!!! I just spent a couple of hours writing an update, then accidentally closed the window and lost everything I had written. I'll try again tomorrow. :( :oops:
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

jab35
First Name: James
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615

Post by jab35 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:34 pm

Bummer, Steve! I hate it when that happens but I find the re-write is shorter, faster and more to the point than the original. Looking forward to your next installment. jb

Topic author
Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:42 am

Day Eight, September 13: From Clinton I continued west on US 12 to Coldwater, then south on old US 27/Angola Road through Kinderhook and then the Indiana towns of Angola, Waterloo, Auburn, Fort Wayne, Huntington, Marion, Elwood, Noblesville, Lebanon, and Crawfordsville. At Huntington I took the time to hunt up a hardware store and buy some fastener to replace a missing one. I don't remember what I had to replace that time because on this trip the car was shedding parts like a cat sheds hair. That's an exaggeration, of course, but I did have to make a few hardware store visits this time to replace missing fasteners. At Crawfordsville I caught IN 47 south and west through beautiful forested hills until sundown found me at Turkey Run State Park where I spent the night.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Wayne Sheldon

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:53 am

"Aaarrrgh!!! I just spent a couple of hours writing an update, then accidentally closed the window and lost everything I had written."

Oh, I so dislike when that happens. My computer has done that to me too many times over the years. A simple drop the finger-sweep and somehow the magical command "erase all" has snuck in!
I don't think the rewrite attempt has ever been as good as the first draft was.

Thank you Dan H and Chris P! Beautiful cars, both of them.

Novice

OOPS! *$#%#$* Saving Your work

Post by Novice » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:13 pm

You may be able to save it as a draft every few paragraphs while writing. So if You fat finger the keys You still have most all You have written and it is easier to rewrite the part You lost. automatic back up programs might work depending on how often they save Your work and if they save it while being composed. I an sure the computer Gurus here on the forum can show You how to do it.
Good Luck

Topic author
Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:26 pm

Day Nine, September 14: From Turkey Run it's a few miles down to Rockville and US 36 where I headed west. At Montezuma the old steel truss bridge across the Wabash was half closed for painting. The south lane, already finished, was open, and the north lane was closed. The delay was just a few minutes, and soon I was in Illinois. Eastern Illinois is pretty flat, with many miles of open farm fields and a few little towns scattered along the road. The crops seen most are field corn and soybeans. I suppose some would find this drive boring, but I very much enjoyed the purr of my Mike Bender engine rebuild pulling me down the road on a beautiful day as the lovely world rolled by at a leisurely 35-38 mph. The green and brown of the fields, the farm houses in the distance, and the puffy little white clouds against a brilliant blue sky made for a pleasant few hours. At Decatur US 36 joins I-72, and Model T traffic takes Old 36 west. The intersection is not well marked, and for several miles west of Decatur I wasn't sure I had the right road until I crossed into Sangamon county and saw signs confirming that I had guessed right. Just east of Sringfield Old 36 merges into freeway, but fortunately that lasts only about a mile and you're soon in city traffic where a Model T can keep up. The question here was whether I should keep driving and try to make Jacksonville before dark. Remembering that everything takes longer than you think it will, and seeing the sun getting rather low in the sky, I took the conservative position and decided to stay in Springfield. I proceeded to my usual stopping spot in the corner of the Lowe's parking lot, walked over to the adjoining Walmart and bought dinner and breakfast, dined off the running board, and turned in for a good snooze. Before I turned in a few people stopped to take pictures and ask about the car, but not as many as when I stopped here a week earlier headed east.

Screen Shot 2021-09-29 at 8.35.42 PM.png
A 2008 view of the Wabash River bridge at Montezuma.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:45 pm

Day Ten, September 15: Heading down Old 66 from Lebanon the trip through Phillipsburg, Conway, Marshfield, and Strafford was normal. Navigating through Springfield the car seemed to be running a little rough. It didn't seem to be in any danger of stalling, but there was a bit of a hitch in its get-along. West of Springfield it seemed to run progressively rougher and began to struggle on hills. Stopping to check the timer I found that the New Day, which is supposed to run dry, was full of oil from a leaking cam seal. I wiped out the oil, first with a dry paper towel and then with a paper towel and gasoline. While I was at it I cleaned up the contacts with a bit of emery board. Heading west from there the car was running better, but not back to normal. Through Halltown, Spencer and Albatross, Phelps, Rescue, Plew, and Avila, the car ran worse and worse. By the time I struggled into Carthage and pulled into a Casey's for gas, it was sounding pretty bad. I left the engine running and phoned Mike Bender, and asked him, "Can you hear this?" The answer was yes, he could, and it sounded to him like the car was running on two or three cylinders. Luckily for me, Mike is kind to foolish old people who leave home with insufficient spare parts. He drove up from Tulsa, almost two hours away, with a box of stuff that included just what I needed. It didn't take long to find that oil wasn't the only trouble in my timer. I had adapted a piece of carbon generator brush to fit in place of the standard bronze brush, and it was worn to the point of floppiness. I'm not referring to wear on the face of the brush, where it rides on the timer cover, but on the sides where it's supposed to fit in the holder with just enough space to slide. It was worn all around, and loose in the holder. I'd say unstable is a good word for it. We cleaned out the oil, installed a stock brush and started the car. It ran fine. Mike headed back to Tulsa, and I had dinner and settled down for the night in a dark and grassy spot behind the store.

IMG_0168 copy.JPG
This was OK until it wasn't. It's too easily worn out. Back to the stock brush for me.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:22 pm

Day Eleven, September 16: On the road early, I should be home this afternoon. It's only abut 175 miles. After that stop west of Springfield yesterday to clean out the timer, I left my home made atlas of county maps sitting on a rear fender when I hit the road again. I didn't realize it until I was far down the road, so it is decorating the roadside somewhere east of Halltown. Fortunately I've been over this part of the route enough times that I remember most of it. Through Joplin, Galena, Riverton, Baxter Springs, and Chetopa, the drive was routine. Many times a US highway is perfectly fine for Model T travel, but US 166 is another story. It's two lanes with little or no shoulder in many places. There's no interstate alternative nearby, so there are lots of big trucks sailing along at the 65 mph speed limit, or more. So except for about a mile east of Chetopa the entire Kansas part of my route is on county and township roads. By the time I stopped in Caney to fill the tank one last time for the final leg home, the timer was telling me it was time for another oil removal. I pulled off in an abandoned gas station to work in the shade, and set about cleaning the timer. Uh-oh. The brush popped out of its holder and fell on the concrete. The little pin that keeps the brush in the holder had fallen out and was nowhere to be found. On top of that, the pin which keeps the holder on the cam shaft fell down under the crank pulley, and multiple attempts to bring it up with a magnet came up empty. It's probably still there. A couple of guys had stopped to look at the car, and one of them had a little shop/museum just a couple of blocks away. He was able to come up with a paper clip and a little nail to replace my missing parts. The loss of parts combined with geriatric clumsiness to turn a twenty minute job into a two hour struggle, but at last I was on my way again. Maybe I should check my tire pressure, but I want to get home before sundown, and they're probably fine. The run through Chautauqua, Elgin, and Hewins, familiar territory, was unremarkable except for a couple of steep hills I had to low-pedal west of Elgin. I turned off Dalton Road and headed up Eagle Road toward Cedar Vale. A mile or two up the road I rounded a corner and suddenly heard an awful clattering sound. My first thought was transmission trouble, but it took me just a second or two to recognize the sound of a bare rim running on a gravel road. I had thrown a tire. Fortunately I had a spare front tube with me. Unfortunately the missing tire had rolled off into that Other Dimension where lost tools and other items go to hide. I phoned my cousin Pete to come and fetch me, and while she was on the way I walked up and down the road several times looking for that right front tire. I never found it or the tube. But I did find that the left rear tire was flat. What are the odds of having two exciting tire adventures simultaneously? So I phoned 911 to let the Sheriff's Department know that the car was present, off the road, and not abandoned. In the morning I would bring two spare wheels and drive the car home.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

DHort

Post by DHort » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:10 am

Less than 30 miles from home and all hell breaks loose. You could almost push the car the rest of the way. You would think that car was getting old. Glad to hear you made it. Maybe next year I can follow you part of the way.

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:42 am

Tire problems sometimes run in packs. I once saw an ad somewhere for Galena Motor Oil.

dykker5502
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1921 Roadster P/U, 1922 Fordor (danish custom body)

Post by dykker5502 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:56 pm

Why does a tire run off? To little air?

Jerry VanOoteghem

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:07 pm

dykker5502 wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:56 pm
Clincher tires very often do that when they go flat. The odd thing being, that when you want to change a clincher, you sometimes have to struggle with it for a while. We've all been there... ;)

Topic author
Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:29 am

Yes, many times that's it. I figure low pressure let this one come loose as I was turning a corner. I once lost another tire I blame on one of those splitting Custom Classic tubes.

Day Twelve, September 17: Pete and I returned to the car with a spare front wheel and a spare rear wheel. I had no trouble installing the front wheel, but the left rear wheel with the flat was another story. The taper was stuck so tight that the puller wouldn't break it loose. I gave up fighting it and decided to bring a trailer.

Day Thirteen, September 18: Pete recruited a friend who has a big truck and a fancy trailer with ramps and all. I drove the T, flat rear tire and all, onto the trailer, and we had it home and unloaded by noon. Thus ended my third drive to the OCF. Failures suffered on the trip or immediately before: the Velo Cat Eye bike speedometer worked for about ten miles and quit; the magneto battery charger died; the phone charger quit working; two coil box terminal nuts and two windshield hinge bolts fell off; rear axle oil seals leaked; cam shaft seal leaked; two timer rotors went bad; I lost my oil filler cap.

I'm giving up on the bike speedometers. None has ever lasted a whole trip. I'll repair and install an original speedometer and back it up with some kind of GPS device.

After corresponding with John Regan, I believe the battery charger was toasted by a wire touching or being too close to a spark plug wire, allowing high voltage to wreck the diode. Current flowing back through the field coil is probably the reason my mag is now too weak to start the car. I'll install a new diode, reroute the wiring with great care, and try an in-car magnet charge.

The phone charger was badly wired and badly located. I'll change both.

I'll put star washers behind the coil box terminal nuts and the windshield hinge nuts. That may not be "correct", but I want them to stay.

Stephen Heatherly told me of Permatex Gear Oil RTV, which cured the rear axle leak problem for him. I'll give it a try there, and perhaps on the cam seal too.

I'll install a timer rotor I know is good, and pack a couple of extras in the car, along with extra pins and nuts. I'll also plug one end of the cam shaft hole with a bit of JB Weld to make installing the rotor 180º off impossible.

I'll fasten the filler cap to the car with a chain. Again, it's not correct, but...

I've added up numbers from the atlas for approximate mileage. Running around in the Detroit area, Springfield, Bowling Green, Lake Ozark, etc., probably added another hundred miles or so.

First Day: Home to the state line, 146 miles; on to Springfield another 89; total for the day, 235. Not bad for a late start at 9:30 AM.
Second Day: Springfield MO to Bowling Green, 223 miles (time out for a short visit with George at Lake Ozark, plus the later radiator leak).
Third Day: Bowling Green to Springfield IL, only 100 miles, with a couple of hours at Engburg's Radiator in Springfield.
Fourth day: Springfield to Huntington IN, 279 miles.
Fifth Day: Huntington to Dearborn, 191 miles, arriving at THF about 3 PM Central.

I estimate the total around 1100 miles, and about the same coming home. I'm looking forward to doing it again next year, better prepared.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

DHort

Post by DHort » Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:03 am

You will need a new set of maps if you are heading to Grantsburg on your way home. It will be a nice change of scenery from the last couple of trips.

ThreePedalTapDancer
First Name: Ed
Last Name: Martin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1909 Touring

Post by ThreePedalTapDancer » Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:18 am

Get the newest and best cell phone you can afford. You will have gps, map guidance, as well as a quality camera and internet access all in one.

Topic author
Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:16 am

You will need a new set of maps if you are heading to Grantsburg on your way home.

Get the newest and best cell phone you can afford.

I have resisted the latest technology, sticking with a flip phone and paper maps, because I am not a fan of touch screens. But my experiences on this trip have me reconsidering. The prospect of having internet access everywhere and not depending on finding a store with free wifi is very attractive. Having GPS, Google satellite view, and some states' county maps in the car would be very nice.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:26 am

I don't have a "device", but everyone except you and me does have. I amazed at the quality of the pictures the things can take, indoors, outdoors, anywhere. They can store vast amounts of information, too, if you can remember what's in there and how to access it. With GPS functions, you and everyone else on earth will always know exactly where you are. As for cost of service, that seems to be like trying to find out what an airline seat costs ... endless games, and everyone seems to think they have the best "plan".

jab35
First Name: James
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615

Post by jab35 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:28 am

Steve: Thanks for sharing a most excellent adventure! A little Loctite Blue on some of those fasteners would do no harm, but for overall advice, Ed has nailed it. Respectfully, jb

aDave
First Name: David
Last Name: Dufault
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915
MTFCA Number: 303

Post by aDave » Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:33 pm

In addition to great pictures, you excel in the prose department.

Many thanks for your stories.

Dave

dykker5502

Post by dykker5502 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:59 pm

Steve,
on my trip today to a swapmeet (150 km = 93 Miles) I stopped at first opportunity to check pressure in my tires. They where all 3,5 Bar (50 PSI) so I gave them .5 bar to 4 (58 PSI). They where last checked at a hot summerday (27 C = 80 F) and today was a warn autumn (17C = 62F) so the pressure was of course lower). So no tires lost today :-)

That "Permatex® Gear Oil RTV Gasket Maker" sounds interesting. My '14 rearend "sweats" at the rivets - I believe it is a standard feature showing that there is oil in the rearend :-) Reading their website it just looks as something you put on when the rearend is apart? So the rearend will have to go of and taken apart?

I can only recommend a proper Smartphone - as you are an "Apple man" iPhone will be the obvious choise as it will work with you Mac. You can get fixtures with a suction cup that can sit in the bottom of the windshield and then with a proper charger it can run all day on GPS (GPS mode use a lot of juice). You can even get Google Maps for iPhone now and that has a little speedometer in the lower corner. If you telephonesubscription have limited GB/Month, you may download the maps at home before you leave, so you do not need to use GBytes along the road. As you often take the backroads, the coverage may also be a problem, but if the maps are loaded from home, thats not an issue.

Topic author
Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:02 pm

Reading their website it just looks as something you put on when the rearend is apart? So the rearend will have to go of and taken apart?

No, just remove the wheel, Hyatt bearing and sleeve, and pull out the seal. Get the inside of the tube clean with lacquer thinner, smear the sealant on the seal, and install. If the old seal is no good use a new one. Put the sleeve and bearing back in with plenty of grease, put the wheel back on, and drive.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

DLodge
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Lodge
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 19659

Post by DLodge » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:55 pm

dykker5502 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:59 pm
I can only recommend a proper Smartphone - as you are an "Apple man" iPhone will be the obvious choice as it will work with your Mac. You can get fixtures with a suction cup that can sit in the bottom of the windshield and then with a proper charger it can run all day on GPS (GPS mode use a lot of juice). You can even get Google Maps for iPhone now and that has a little speedometer in the lower corner. If you telephone subscription have limited GB/Month, you may download the maps at home before you leave, so you do not need to use GBytes along the road. As you often take the back roads, the coverage may also be a problem, but if the maps are loaded from home, that's not an issue.
Steve, I have a certain degree of sympathy with your stand on technology issues (e.g. your flip phone). As I type, there is about six feet from my right shoulder a Victor Talking Machine Company Victrola with a supply of records. (I like "I'd Like To See the Kaiser with a Lily in His Hand.") At the same time, we are communicating by means of technology that wasn't even a dream when our cars were new. You drove to Dearborn and back in a Model T because it would have taken too long and been too impractical in a horse and buggy. We have the luxury of picking and choosing our technology. Get the iPhone that Michael recommended. (He may not be Dutch, but Danes can be pretty smart about things too.) Two years ago, I went on a family visit in Illinois (i.e. a cemetery tour) and my Garmin GPS couldn't find any of the cemeteries I needed in Scott County. My iPhone with Google Maps found them all. Today I was heading for a picnic here in town and I disagreed with the route Google Maps was telling me to follow. It turned out that I would have been right if it hadn't been for a detour for road construction that I didn't know about. Google Maps did. When standing on principle inconveniences me in a major way, it's time to revisit the principle.

dykker5502

Post by dykker5502 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:03 am

FWIW - all Android telephones somehow tells Google where they are and how fast they move by default (I think it can be switched off). That way Google knows of traffic jam because all the Android telephones moves at 15 mph on a road where the speed limit is 55 mph. The road are then made red on the map indicating "troubles".
So "Yes" - Big Brother Watching you!
If such "hot spots" emerge on your route, it offers you the choice of a new alternative route as the conditions for the original route has changed.
I do not know if iPhones does the same (send location data to Google) - it may do when using Google Maps (Android does it all the time), but the iPhone version of Google maps exploit the info harvested from the Android phones just as well.

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:48 am

If principled people were behind Google, et al, I would consider using some of their services, but that's not the case. I avoid the squirming mob of vipers to the extent that I can.

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:50 am

"We want .... INFORMATION.... and by hook or by crook, WE WILL GET IT!" (Up yours, matey.)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic