Knocks At Idle

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
J Sundstrom
First Name: John
Last Name: Sundstrom
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 Touring

Knocks At Idle

Post by J Sundstrom » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:24 pm

I have noticed my engine has developed a knock at idle. I shorted out each plug one at a time to see if noise would subside but stayed the same. I pulled the crankcase cover and checked the connecting rod caps. Nothing looked out of place but all rods moved side to side easily. I could hit them against the crank journal with no effort. The engine has less than a thousand miles on it. Runs great except for this issue. I did assemble this engine and used plastic gage at the time for clearance. Is this movement acceptable? I am thinking this is the source of the noise. Tried posting video of rods but could not load it. Had to settle for a screen shot of it.
Attachments
FC24E1E7-F7B4-4B68-B7F6-E73AAEC8AEAD.png

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Re: Knocks At Idle

Post by speedytinc » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:41 pm

What plastigauge did you use? green @ .0015 reading? Sounds a bit loose on the side play. If @ .0015 Possibly a slightly bent rod is the cause. Rotate & see if the rod slides back to front while turning. If you have electric start, turn over listening.

Topic author
J Sundstrom

Post by J Sundstrom » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:06 pm

Thanks SpeedyInc, I don’t recall the size plastic gage I used but had followed advice of rebuilder at the time. I tried moving all the rods up and down and found no discernible movement. But they do all clatter when moved side to side. Today I do not have anyone around to crank engine while I observe the rods but I will do that. Perhaps it is a bent rod that may oscillate sideways. Rods and caps were purchased from a Reputable Supplier so I just installed as is. They have X oil grooves and dippers. I am trying to avoid pulling caps at this point and get thoughts & advice from forum members. John

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:23 pm

John

when checking for knocks and there is no discernable difference in knocking when each plug is shorted, always short #2 and #3 simultaneously as the last check.

If the knock ceases, it is a center main bearing. If that is the case, with such low mileage, I'd suspect a misaligned 4th main at the back of the transmission has caused the crank to be under stress and has worn the babbit some. Let's hope that's not the case, as simply tightening the cap is definitely not the correct solution.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
J Sundstrom

Post by J Sundstrom » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:39 pm

Scott, I will have to try shorting 2 & 3 when I button her back up.
For what it’s worth the oil is very clean no sign of metallic fragments or flecks. Bad main bearing would definitely be a bummer! Thanks

Topic author
J Sundstrom

Post by J Sundstrom » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:33 pm

Update, I pulled the rod caps and plastic gaged and got about .001”. Re Torqued caps and closed it up. Ran the heck out of her and then let it run at idle for a few minutes. No knocks detected at all just purred at idle. Now if I can get my steering squared away.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:53 pm

When you say side play, do you mean front to back or right to left? The right to left should be the same as up and down, however front to back should not cause a knock unless the rod is bent or the piston cocked.
From your story, it appears to me, that one or more of the bolts might not have been tightened all the way and now is.
Norm

Topic author
J Sundstrom

Post by J Sundstrom » Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:27 pm

Norman, The looseness seemed to be excessive to me front to back, you could really clack them back in forth by hand. When I torqued down with the plastic gage all seemed to spec. I think you were right in that the rod cap nuts weren’t tight enough. I also had put on those oil dippers. They are soft metal stamping and they may have relaxed a bit over time. They looked deformed from the lock nut. Assembly error … me

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic