Hello, new to the Model T world

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
memcdowell1s
First Name: Micah
Last Name: McDowell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 runabout
Board Member Since: 2021

Hello, new to the Model T world

Post by memcdowell1s » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:54 pm

Hello all!
My dad found this car being sold from an estate and we hope to have some fun with it. It was a runner when parked so far as we know, but has sat for at least five years. A complete spare chassis was included that appears to be in fairly good shape, so we have plenty to mess with.
T1.jpg
T2.jpg
T3.jpg
T4.jpg
T5.jpg
The engine serial dates to December 1923. Curious as to what we have here, and how much is original. First step is getting some tubes that hold air for a couple tires; what's a good source for 21" x 4.4 tubes? Next step is going through the usual deferred maintenance.

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Re: Hello, new to the Model T world

Post by CudaMan » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:59 pm

Welcome! Looks pretty original, I would say a 1925 roadster. If you can provide the engine number I can give you the date the engine was assembled. That engine number should be the VIN that matches the title (if you have one).

In the meantime, here is some light reading:

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG52.html
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Post by perry kete » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:08 pm

Welcome to the Model T world.

It looks like you have a nice car.

I noticed in your pictures that you have the car tied on to the trailer with a cable/ winch. If you tied it around the axle and not the frame please check to make sure you didn't pull the wishbone out of the ball socket on te oil pan.
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:22 pm

Welcome! I don't know how the fuel system would be on the car you bought. Two cars I have worked on for others which were parked here in California, had to have the fuel line replaced and one also the gas tank. The one I replaced the gas tank had been parked for 19 years. The gas became like epoxy and plugged up everything. I was able to get the carburetor cleaned up and running. Changed the oil and put in a new battery and it started right up. It had green anti freeze in the cooling system and believe it or not was up to the normal level and I did not even change it until I needed to replace the fan belt and noticed the crankcase pulley was very loose and worn out, so I removed the radiator and flushed it out and also flushed out the block. I am just putting the radiator back on today, so don't know how it runs right now, but it did have some "knocking" before I replaced the pulley and hope that fixes the problem. The owner had been on a tour and the car made a very loud noise so they parked it in a storage unit owned by a friend and at sat there from there on. He has since passed away and his wife wants me to get the car going again. I think I found out what made the "loud noise" because the exhaust pipe had come off the manifold. That was one of the first things I fixed.
Anyway, you need to find out why the car was parked, if you can, then maybe you can fix that problem and it will run fine again.
The left front tire on that chassis, looks like a INSA tire Hecho en Chili. If it is, you have one of the longest wearing tires ever made for a T. I have 4 of them on one of my T's and they have been on it for 30 years and the sidewalls have not even cracked. I have taken that car on quite a few week long tours.
Anyway, have fun with your car.
Norm

John Dow
First Name: John
Last Name: Dow
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32344
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by John Dow » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:13 pm

Welcome!! It looks like you have a very nice car. Let us know if we can be of help. Best of luck and have fun!!!

Topic author
memcdowell1s
First Name: Micah
Last Name: McDowell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 runabout
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by memcdowell1s » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:20 pm

CudaMan wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:59 pm
Welcome! Looks pretty original, I would say a 1925 roadster. If you can provide the engine number I can give you the date the engine was assembled. That engine number should be the VIN that matches the title (if you have one).
Thanks! Engine number is 8912386.
Norman Kling wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:22 pm
The left front tire on that chassis, looks like a INSA tire Hecho en Chili. If it is, you have one of the longest wearing tires ever made for a T. I have 4 of them on one of my T's and they have been on it for 30 years and the sidewalls have not even cracked. I have taken that car on quite a few week long tours.
Yes, tires on the chassis are marked INSA, and there's a full set plus spare. I think we'll swap those over; they look unused and have been in a dark garage for years. The tires on the car are Allstate, and have a fair amount of cracking.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:33 pm

Do not be overly hasty to spend $$ to replace your tires right away. A new set may very likely look like the old set in 18 months with "a fair amount of cracking".

Lots to learn.

Have fun.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Art M
First Name: Art
Last Name: Mirtes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32489
MTFCI Number: 24068
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Art M » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:48 pm

My 23 touring sat from 1993 to 2016 (23 years) with gasoline, antifreeze, and battery left in it. The gas evaporated leaving the tank fairly clean. The radiator was full. New battery was installed. Carb was cleaned and the coil points were cleaned and adjusted. After 2 hours, he engine was running on battery and mag but not real well. Ground the valves a few weeks later and it ran real well.

You just never know what it will take to get a stored car running.
Good luck. Art Mirtes

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:09 pm

According to the book "Model T Ford, the Car that Changed the World", engine number 8912386 was one of 8065 engines assembled on December 21, 1923. If it's the original engine to your car, that would make your car a 1924 model year.

1924 and 1925 cars look very similar. In 1925, 30 inch clincher tires were still standard, but 21" balloon tires were optional and the bodies had a little more metal in the understructure in place of wood.

Here is more info on 1924 model year cars: https://www.mtfca.com/model_t_encyclopedia/1924/
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

MichaelPawelek
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Pawelek
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Touring, 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by MichaelPawelek » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:12 pm

There are many great Model T parts businesses. I will start with my two favorites and assume others will chime in with theirs. Most are online and have great catalogs. I use mostly “Snyders” and “Lang’s”. Also on this club site are some of the best booklets ever to rebuild and upkeep a Model T. Have fun!

https://snydersantiqueauto.com/

https://www.modeltford.com/

https://modeltstore.myshopify.com/produ ... ce-manuals
Last edited by MichaelPawelek on Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

John kuehn
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:12 pm

Looks like a late 24 or 25 Roadster in pretty good shape. The lips on the front fenders just under the headlights make it a 24-25. Looks like it was repainted years ago and that’s OK. It’s close enough to be a 25 just giving it a general going over by your pics. The larger 21” tires came out in Late 24 to give a T a little smoother ride. I have a late 24 Coupe that has them and it does make the car ride a little smoother.

If the engine number is in the 23 range I wouldn’t worry about. Lots of T’s have earlier or later T engines in them that were replaced down through the years. Reason being is that they pretty much all interchange in that part of the T era. Good luck with you ‘new’ T!
I would get it to going like it is after checking the oil, water and brakes and see how it drives.

TFan
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Riedy
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 25079
MTFCI Number: 18732
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by TFan » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:30 pm

Micah, Welcome to the affliction, I hope you have as much fun with yours as I have with mine. It looks to me that your spare chassis is an Improved car meaning 1926-27 it has the coil box on the engine and the wide pedals for the clutch and brake plus the wider rear crossmember. Good start for a speedster! Jim
Back road kinda guy stuck on the freeway of life.

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:40 am

TFan wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:30 pm
Micah, Welcome to the affliction, I hope you have as much fun with yours as I have with mine. It looks to me that your spare chassis is an Improved car meaning 1926-27 it has the coil box on the engine and the wide pedals for the clutch and brake plus the wider rear crossmember. Good start for a speedster! Jim
You will discover soon, if not already that model T's multiply like rabbits in our garages. Nobody has just one.

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:05 am

speedytinc wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:40 am
Nobody has just one.
:o I only have one ! :shock:
"Get a horse !"

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:38 am

Rich Bingham wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:05 am
speedytinc wrote:
Nobody has just one.
You, sir an exceptional person. Perhaps there is a fertility issue in your garage. :D

John Codman
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:57 am

I second checking the ball joint on the wishbone. It needs to be fairly tight and the cap needs to be secured to the oil pan with studs and castellated nuts which must be safety-wired together. Do not use cotter pins. If you are going to winch the car I would recommend attaching the strap to the front frame crossmember and not the axle. As to the coils - If they buzz when the key is turned to Battery, they will probably provide enough spark for the engine to run. Be aware that the coils only buzz in certain crankshaft (timer) positions, so if at first they don't buzz, turn the crankshaft a bit with either the starter or the hand crank. Since the car has been sitting for a long time, at some point in the future I would recommend having the coils gone over. There are several businesses that do this that advertise in the MTFCA magazine. Welcome to the affliction!
Last edited by John Codman on Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:23 am

You need at least 3 Model T's. One to drive while you work on the other. One to work on. And one for spare parts! However, I got all 3 working, so now I just help others work on theirs, because I can only drive one at a time! :lol:
Norm

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:35 am

speedytinc wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:38 am
Rich Bingham wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:05 am
speedytinc wrote:
Nobody has just one.
You, sir an exceptional person. Perhaps there is a fertility issue in your garage. :D
:shock: Lizzie went menopausal in 1951 !! :lol: :lol:
"Get a horse !"

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:58 pm

I may have missed someone referencing this but it is a check list for getting a Model T out of mothballs
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/25 ... 1341112656
I'm sure many will take exception to this part of Engine Checks
"Drain the oil. Install four quarts of 20-50 weight oil. " Since you lack information about the engine, after draining the oil drop the inspection pan and check for slug. T's have no oil filters and used non-detergent oil. So this cleaning is necessary, because you are likely the first owner to do so since the car was built.

Since I mentioned "oil" and to avoid rehashing previous discussions on the subject I have provided a Google Link to the many responses to any question related to "oil". https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... =oil+MTFCA
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic