Permatex Right Stuff and paint

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
jab35
First Name: James
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Permatex Right Stuff and paint

Post by jab35 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:22 pm

What is a good product for cleaning away 'Right Stuff' from an assembly before painting? I believe it is silicone based and once it gets on a surface is extremely difficult to remove completely, either cured or uncured. I assume let it cure then scrape/sand and then what? I'm getting ready to paint a differential that I sealed (and smeared) with RS. Thanks, jb

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Re: Permatex Right Stuff and paint

Post by speedytinc » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:29 pm

jab35 wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:22 pm
What is a good product for cleaning away 'Right Stuff' from an assembly before painting? I believe it is silicone based and once it gets on a surface is extremely difficult to remove completely, either cured or uncured. I assume let it cure then scrape/sand and then what? I'm getting ready to paint a differential that I sealed (and smeared) with RS. Thanks, jb
When you assemble, dont smear it. Let the excess bead dry over night & razor blade off. Rub off any residual.
I have not felt the need to clean before painting. Its black paint over a small black silicone edge.

Topic author
jab35

Post by jab35 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:28 pm

Thanks, John;

You are a much more tidy mechanic than I am. Best, jb

speedytinc
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring

Post by speedytinc » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:06 pm

jab35 wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:28 pm
Thanks, John;

You are a much more tidy mechanic than I am. Best, jb
I stick my arm in it once in a while, especially when final rear end assembly.
The way I do it works for me.

George Mills
First Name: George
Last Name: Mills
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Roadster, 1919 Hack, 1925 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 29497
MTFCI Number: 10032
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George Mills » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:14 pm

It is said that vigorous rubbing with industrial vinegar makes it eventually pop its seal on whatever it is stuck on to. I have never had such luck no matter how much elbow grease I put into it and really have decided to not like the stuff mostly for other reasons!

The discision is mine, I'm too darned slow and what they say about open time is actually a bit of a stretch. Nothing ticks me off more than doing a hogshead, which I've done umpteen times but this time tried Right Stuff, and then finding the clutch yoke wishes to be difficult taking more precious seconds away from my open time...and then when I get it buttoned up and go for a test ride...I mark my route with oil dribbles where it decided to not bite...and when I retighten and go for another ride, same path...now have dual tracks!

I'm sure the stuff works provided you can get 'er all done in the open window time...It's a shame they don't make a product called RIGHT STUFF SLO' for old arthritic guys like me with only one leg that works. My son swears by HONDA SEAL which I think is really Right Stuff in a Honda label....so...to each their own.

speedytinc

Post by speedytinc » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:27 pm

George Mills wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:14 pm
It is said that vigorous rubbing with industrial vinegar makes it eventually pop its seal on whatever it is stuck on to. I have never had such luck no matter how much elbow grease I put into it and really have decided to not like the stuff mostly for other reasons!

The discision is mine, I'm too darned slow and what they say about open time is actually a bit of a stretch. Nothing ticks me off more than doing a hogshead, which I've done umpteen times but this time tried Right Stuff, and then finding the clutch yoke wishes to be difficult taking more precious seconds away from my open time...and then when I get it buttoned up and go for a test ride...I mark my route with oil dribbles where it decided to not bite...and when I retighten and go for another ride, same path...now have dual tracks!

I'm sure the stuff works provided you can get 'er all done in the open window time...It's a shame they don't make a product called RIGHT STUFF SLO' for old arthritic guys like me with only one leg that works. My son swears by HONDA SEAL which I think is really Right Stuff in a Honda label....so...to each their own.
Occasionally with a H/H install, there will be a little leak in a lower corner. I wait overnight for a full cure before starting the motor.(full cure)
If a leak appears, I hook up a shop vac & suck more sealer into the hole. Wait over night again. Works well to make a complete seal.

walber
First Name: Walt
Last Name: Berdan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '18 Speedster had 25 touring and 26 coupe
MTFCA Number: 16421

Post by walber » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:44 pm

I use Ultra Black - good silicon sealer and longer open time than Right Stuff. Ultra Black fits my pace of working, especially for the hogs head where it's not an "instant on" process in my world.

Sean Butler
First Name: Sean
Last Name: Butler
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring
MTFCA Number: 31557

Post by Sean Butler » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:24 pm

I've used Dupont's PrepSol on accidental smears of silicone sealant in the past but that was before Right Stuff and Ultra Black as I remember. Not sure if it would make a difference. John's approach on "trimming" works for me.
Sean Butler
Huntington Beach, CA

Topic author
jab35

Post by jab35 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:55 am

Thank you all for your suggestions. jb