Pitman Arm Ok?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
J Sundstrom
First Name: John
Last Name: Sundstrom
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 Touring

Pitman Arm Ok?

Post by J Sundstrom » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:54 pm

I was going to change out my original pitman arm with a repo to eliminate some slop. Placing side by side the new one is 1/2” closer to center of shaft and 1/2” out further to front of car. Ordered one for my year 1920 should I use?
Attachments
2EDF8CA5-CADA-4008-BF57-6E7A267AEDA9.jpeg

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Re: Pitman Arm Ok?

Post by Norman Kling » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:01 pm

I think the new one you got is correct. The one you took off looks like maybe for a 26-27 because the steering column is on a different year on the lower bodies, the pitman arm would be shorter and on a different angle.
Norm

Topic author
J Sundstrom

Post by J Sundstrom » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:21 pm

Norman, The new one is actually at a steeper angle and shorter.
I installed new one to see if there were any issues and it seems like it ok. Guess I will with new one. Thanks

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:31 pm

In your picture, the one closest to the camera looks like the correct one. The other one to me looks like there is wear on the ball joint, so I thought it was the old one.
Norm

TonyB
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Bowker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring
MTFCA Number: 32
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by TonyB » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:40 pm

The pitman arm changed over the years I have a picture showing several from when restored the 1909 Touring
Selection of T pitman arms
Selection of T pitman arms
So when someone that “that’s” the correct one, you really should state the year 😊
Somewhere I have a picture with the dimensions of several models but I can’t find it right now.
Tony Bowker
La Mesa, California
1914 Touring, 1915 Speedster, 1924 Coupe.

Topic author
J Sundstrom

Post by J Sundstrom » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:16 pm

Yes the old one is in the rear with wear on ball.
I did a test run with new pitman arm. It’s tighter but to me the steering seems more touchy or sensitive to wheel. I am going to check wheel alignment. Geez how many different pitman arm style were made!

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:28 pm

Refer to June 4, 9:41 AM and 6:08PM for your answer: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/82 ... 1527895999

Also, your drag link may be wrong...they, too, came in different lengths, and may be found here: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/17 ... 1322077087
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:30 pm

I believe the shorter pitman will give a slower feel to the steering. The longer pitman will move the wheels farther left or right for any given movement of the steering wheel, and will require a little more effort. If you have slack or loose parts elsewhere in the system, the short pitman may make it feel worse. Everything on the running gear needs to be tightened properly, as well as being free from excess wear.

ewdysar
First Name: Eric
Last Name: Dysart
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1916 Touring, 1927 Runabout

Post by ewdysar » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:21 pm

TXGOAT2 wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:30 pm
I believe the shorter pitman will give a slower feel to the steering. The longer pitman will move the wheels farther left or right for any given movement of the steering wheel, and will require a little more effort. If you have slack or loose parts elsewhere in the system, the short pitman may make it feel worse. Everything on the running gear needs to be tightened properly, as well as being free from excess wear.
In theory, yes. But in real life, the difference would be barely noticeable, if perceptible at all. Any differences would probably be lost in all the other steering “noise” that you mention, even in a freshly rebuilt rig. I can’t believe that the change would be as significant as the change from 4:1 steering gears to 5:1 steering gears, which I found to be less noticeable than I expected. The original poster did notice in the steering “feel”, which I would attribute more to the better fitting pitman ball than the small geometry change.

Eric

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:02 pm

Here are the two common steering ball arms. Factory #'s are on the forgings.

Pitman arms.jpg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:18 pm

If things work or you need to salvage a known early part, it is not that difficult to replace the ball on the pitman arm. I grind two flats on the ball opposite one another until they are 1/2" apart, then do the same to make a square with 1/2" sides. It's not a big step to knock the corners off the square and then hand file/linnish the stub into a 1/2" round . This is then threaded.

The new ball comes from a vendor supplied straight shank tie rod end ball. Chuck it in the lathe and bore so that it an be tapped with the same thread. When it is screwed on to the pitman arm I make sure it stays there with a dab of weld.

The 1/2" stub is still larger than the neck at the back of the ball, so the strength of the arm is not compromised. This allows you to retain for use an early original part rather than fit a generally heavier looking replacement. The new ones are excellent items for general use, but they do not fit the bill if you are striving for originality.

Hope this helps,
Allan from down under.

Topic author
J Sundstrom

Post by J Sundstrom » Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:15 pm

Thank You all for great advice. Well, I ended up putting my old pitman arm back on the car. The car steered fine with the new pitman however had to realign to get toe in to 1/4”(May not had anything to do with new pitman). I discovered when I cranked the steering wheel to the left or right the pitman went over center or over 180 degree total travel until it hit the stops in the gear head of the steering column. When I turned hard right the tie rod was hitting the nose of the engine pan. For my steering the pitman is a No Go.
Allan, I have used refurbished steering balls on my A and have been very pleased. Perhaps I will do this pitman, it’s around .010” under so not that bad. John

Photo shows the new pitman allows tie rod to hit engine.
Attachments
B4CA810E-ED56-4D5B-9C1E-724D22723ADA.jpeg

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:27 pm

Your opinion of it not affecting toe-in is correct. If you had to adjust it now, you had to adjust it before.

Purchase an APCO draglink cap and you will have ZERO slop at the ball and steering will be exceedingly responsive: https://www.modeltford.com/item/2728APCO.aspx
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
J Sundstrom

Post by J Sundstrom » Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:31 pm

Hmm, that’s a new one on me, allows for wear. Thanks for the info