Repair an innertube?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
NY John T
First Name: John
Last Name: Killelea
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926

Repair an innertube?

Post by NY John T » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:31 pm

Hi All,
I have acouple of 21 inch inner tubes from flat tires. I was wondering what people think about repairing the tubes. They have slow leaks and I haven't found where they leak from. I was thinking of using them only for spares, not for running tires. Repair or replace? Your thoughts?
Thanks,
John

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Re: Repair an innertube?

Post by speedytinc » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:44 pm

Slow leaks are typically stem delaminations or leaky cores. Easy fix with metal stems. Hot patches, if still available work well. Find the leak & fix accordingly. As long as the rubber is in tact,(no cracks) I fix em.

Russ T Fender
First Name: Val
Last Name: Soupios
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '10 touring, '12 touring, '13 hack, '14 runabout, '14 touring, '14 speedster, '22 centerdoor, '27 touring

Post by Russ T Fender » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:49 pm

I have old tubes with up to 6 patches each and they don't lose any air. The old tubes are much heavier quality and I keep them going as long as I can.

NealW
First Name: Neal
Last Name: Willford
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1915 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50256

Post by NealW » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:02 pm

What kind of tube patches do people use to repair their T inner tubes? I was curious if bike inner tube patch kits work ok or not

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:32 pm

I use this: https://www.amazon.com/BEST-Round-Unive ... 860&sr=8-4 along with proper cement and a rolling wheel.

Excellent success.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Dennis_Brown
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Roadster pickup
MTFCA Number: 21458

Post by Dennis_Brown » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:04 pm

You can go to an automotive supply store and get a can of cement and cold patches. Rough up the area around the leak and use the cement and patch.
I have a roller tool for replacing the rubber lock strip in window screens that I then roll over the patch to get any air pockets out.
To find a leak put air in the tube to inflate it and either put it in a container of water, you can do this a section at a time, or spray soapy water on it and it will bubble at the leak. Also be aware that valve stem cores can leak. to check for a leak there, spit on your finger and put the spit on the end of the valve stem and it will bubble if it leaks.
I had some old tubes that had rust attached from old wheels and that is where the leaks were.

R.V.Anderson
First Name: R.V.
Last Name: Anderson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914, 1920, 1923, 1923

Post by R.V.Anderson » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:19 am

Lots of good options here, but I take mine to the tire shop down the street. They do a great hot patch for a whopping 5 bucks. They probably do it more as a favor, since I buy all my tires for myself and also my wife's car there.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic