Starter Drive Sleeve Installation

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Starter Drive Sleeve Installation

Post by George House » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:14 pm

I removed a T engine/tranny last weekend to take to Lilleker’s for rebuild. I first removed the starter to twist the engine around the steering column. But the starter drive sleeve T 5021 came out in 2 pieces. I went to my parts department and found a complete Starter Drive Assembly among a lot of incomplete starter drive assemblies - due to no sleeve. But they appear to be available. I need to buy about 4. They’re supposed to be non removable once installed. ...... How are they installed ?
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people.

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Re: Starter Drive Sleeve Installation

Post by speedytinc » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:32 pm

You are talking about the piece that is slotted & rotates freely on the Bendix drive? That piece is available. It has 2 slots cut in line where the Bendix body is slotted around. The center "rib" gets pushed in with a chisel or screwdriver to attach, retain & swivel freely. Look at part vendor pix. Langs shows it. Dont forget NEW tabbed lock washers.

Topic author
George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George House » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:11 pm

Thanks John but I thought I deleted that post. Foolishly after I posted it I did a google MTFCA search like I try and advise others to do. Dan Treace provided good instructions and pictures on this topic 10 years ago
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people.

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Post by Kerry » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:42 pm

Make sure that the tab that you bush down lines up with the groove correctly, the last several I have bought didn't and had to turned down on the lathe on the open end some before fitting to make it turn freely.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:30 pm

I found that the tab to be punched down was too wide for the groove into which it was supposed to be punched, after I had tried to punch it down. Needed some fine Dremel tool work to salvage the situation.

Allan from down under.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic