Straightening a started shaft?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Model-T&A
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Ressijac
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Straightening a started shaft?

Post by Model-T&A » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:33 pm

I have been helping a older gentleman getting his T back on the road. It was put away 1 1/2+ years ago following a loud "Clunk" while backing it out of his garage, then pushed back into the garage, and due to health issues there it has sat. While we were attempting to get it going with the electric started the "Clunk" repeated, the starter bound-up, so the effort was stopped. On to the Bendex.

With the Bendex cover removed the issue was clear, a broken Bendex drive gear. Fortunately all the pieces appear to be there.
IMG_1075.jpg

With the Bendex off the starter turned freely but not turning true, bent, and on close examination of the hogshead a shinny surface was see between 9-12 o'clock where the Bendex would rub in passing. (sorry about the out of focus picture).
IMG_1097.jpg

Looked into replacing the started with a rebuild unit but none locally available for several months.

Is it possible to straighten the starting shaft, and if so how? Or should we just wait for a started to become available. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated as I am hoping to get this gentleman back on the road with his grandchildren for some fall touring.

Thanks,
Rick

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Straightening a started shaft?

Post by George House » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:06 pm

Yes it is..... google: MTFCA straighten bent starter shaft
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:08 pm

Rick

yes they can be straightened...in fact virtually every one needs it.

be aware that the bend can often be a dog leg, so be patient in the press and work it out.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Bill Coyle
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Coyle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Roadster
MTFCI Number: 24067

Post by Bill Coyle » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:16 pm

There is a small pin and a spring on the ring that came off the starter gear. Make sure you put them back, and the pin moves easily before you weld the ring on. You can purchase them from the vendors.

The purpose is to keep the gear back away from the ring gear after it starts.
Good luck,
Bill Coyle

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:19 pm

I doubt all the pieces are there. There is a pin & spring under the counterweight that keeps the gear disengaged back. Obviously it blew apart. You need a rebuilt unit. Its repairable, but is a bit more involved than for here.

Starter shaft . Best way is to remove the armature. put the shaft in a lathe & straighten @ the bend. Be careful not to bend back in a different spot.
Get it as straight as possible & reassemble. Hook it up on the bench. Run the motor barely touching the shaft end with a felt tip pan. It will witness the high side. Tap with a brass hammer. repeat until the pen makes a nice even line.
You may be able to do your rough straightening with the complete bendix reassembled on the starter. Remove for the fine tune straightening. Be careful not to let the bendix bite you when running.

Topic author
Model-T&A
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Ressijac
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring

Post by Model-T&A » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:22 pm

Thank you all for the information. I did Google MTFCA straighten bent starter shaft and found a wealth of information. We will give straightening a try.

As for the Bendex gear, a new was obtained and installed with the help of Steve at Lang's. All the other parts of the Bendex appears in good condition.
IMG_1081.jpg

On closer inspection there appears to be one tab, of four, missing from the Bendex gear balance ring and here is hoping it will be picked up in the transmission oil screen.
IMG_1085.jpg

Like I always say: "When in doubt ask the Forum".

Thanks again,
Rick

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:37 pm

Bendix ;)

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:26 pm

Once you have the armature shaft straight, you may well find that the snout on the end casting is also bent. This is somewhat difficult to negotiate a cure. If it is left bent the likely result is a severely worn whitemetal bush in the snout. I have had some success fitting a bronze bushing and then machining its inside diameter, which is a little off-set to accommodate the bend in the snout.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:49 am

Allan wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:26 pm
Once you have the armature shaft straight, you may well find that the snout on the end casting is also bent. This is somewhat difficult to negotiate a cure. If it is left bent the likely result is a severely worn whitemetal bush in the snout. I have had some success fitting a bronze bushing and then machining its inside diameter, which is a little off-set to accommodate the bend in the snout.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.
Once the shaft is straight, slide in the bendix. If it hits on one side, smack it with a brass/copper/lead hammer.
It will typically straighten that snout. I slide an extra, loose bendix end cap in to prevent egging the bushing.
Thats one of the steps in a "complete" rebuild.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic