Priority mail shipping cost increase

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Tbird
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Bird
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Delivery Car

Priority mail shipping cost increase

Post by Tbird » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:31 am

Just a FYI
Was notified by my post office that the cost of priority shipping will be increasing in October.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Priority mail shipping cost increase

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:39 am

FWIW, it is supposed to be temporary until the end of the year
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:23 pm

This has to do with shipping, not priority mail. In the past I have had occasion to send a wheel to Stutzman's to be re-spoked. I've tried the USPS (around $40) and taken it to a local business that accepts UPS (around $40.) Recently I decided to take the latest wheel to an actual UPS customer service center at one of their shipping hubs (around $27.) I re-use my shipping box so the only difference is where I choose to ship it.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Dropacent
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Post by Dropacent » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:22 pm

The post office refused a package to Australia this morning. Connie couldn’t print a label last night, so made the trip uptown. I know temporary but what a PIA ! I guess we just need to just take another patient pill.

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Post by perry kete » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:08 pm

The USPS announced that they are slowing down the first class mail ! They can't get much slower then they are now. Just last week I tied a letter to my homing turtle two states away and let him go ... he arrived two days before the the letter I posted ffrom the same location!

Nothing is temporary with the government .. if they raise the postal rates they will stay that way!
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

TWrenn
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:45 am

Scott_Conger wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:39 am
FWIW, it is supposed to be temporary until the end of the year

Yeah, RIGHT!! I agree with Perry....nothing temporary with the Gummint. I"m sure you're being facetious Scott!! :lol:

Been Here Before
First Name: George John
Last Name: Drobnock
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe

Post by Been Here Before » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:18 am

It is unfortunate that the postmaster general has interest in alternate mail delivery etal. For him, he is there to eliminate the USPS. And make more money by being a fabled robber baron.

His job is to make the USPS the same as self check out at a box store. Why pay any one else to deliver the mail. Eliminate the competition.

It is not political. These days nothing is political.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisondurk ... 116fe85a60

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)

Post by TRDxB2 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:40 am

Dropacent wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:22 pm
The post office refused a package to Australia this morning. Connie couldn’t print a label last night, so made the trip uptown. I know temporary but what a PIA ! I guess we just need to just take another patient pill.
Not sure what service, stamps,com or click n' ship, you use but "The U.S. Postal Service has TEMPORARILY suspended First Class Package International Service (as of September 3, 2021) and Priority Mail International (as of September 17, 2021) delivery to Australia due to carrier issues related to the COVID-19 pandemic. Priority Mail Express International delivery is not being impacted and mailpieces will continue to be delivered"
https://blog.stamps.com/2021/09/02/usps ... australia/
Attachments
stamps com.png
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Jay In Northern Ca.
First Name: Jay
Last Name: Buscio
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 speedster 1915 roadster pickup 1915 touring, 1927 speedster
MTFCA Number: 49997

Post by Jay In Northern Ca. » Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:08 am

Australia has once again become a Penal colony! Can't wait for the same to happen here..........NOT!

Been Here Before

Post by Been Here Before » Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:29 am

Oh dear... a new postal penal colony has been established called the United States.. A this is not political situation created by a former past president appointing a large donor now wanting to break up an institution - the USPS... Why ship US Postal when you can ship for more at a robber baron's business. ! October 2021 a new way to mail mail...

https://abc7ny.com/usps-slowing-down-ma ... /11064322/

https://www.govexec.com/management/2021 ... an/172859/

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:32 pm

He's not a real robber baron unless he builds railroads, canals, and steamships.

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:31 pm

Jay In Northern Ca. wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:08 am
Australia has once again become a Penal colony! Can't wait for the same to happen here..........NOT!
The mail restriction was made by Australia not the USA. There are many other countries having done/doing the same. It is not the virus per se but the worker shortage that has caused all the issues globally/
Latest information on International Mail issues (Covid, Weather etc) https://www.mailint.com/covid-19-coronavirus-updates/
Attachments
auss 2.png
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Been Here Before

Post by Been Here Before » Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:13 pm

TXGOAT2 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:32 pm
He's not a real robber baron unless he builds railroads, canals, and steamships.

SORRY FOR THE INTERRUPTION, BUT A ROBBER BARRON IS DEFINED AS:
Robber-Barons-cartoon-3000-3x2gty-56a489295f9b58b7d0d77008.jpg
(Some place in the cartoon is the post office and the current robber baron postmaster general. :lol: )

Robber Baron was a term applied to a businessman in the 19th century who engaged in unethical and monopolistic practices, utilized corrupt political influence, faced almost no business regulation, and amassed enormous wealth.

The term itself was not coined in the 1800s, but actually dated back centuries. It was originally applied to noblemen in the Middle Ages who functioned as feudal warlords and were literally “robber barons.”

In the 1870s the term began to be used to describe business tycoons, and the usage persisted throughout the rest of the 19th century. The late 1800s and the first decade of the 20th century are sometimes referred to as an age of robber barons.

https://www.thoughtco.com/robber-baron- ... on-1773342

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:34 pm

...and to this very day, we are being oppressed and exploited by these railroads, steamships, and even a canal or two, though we did finally get free of that Panama Canal! ....

perry kete

Post by perry kete » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:52 pm

parcels.jpg
parcels.jpg (27.82 KiB) Viewed 5005 times

annalonco
First Name: anna
Last Name: lonco

Post by annalonco » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:03 am

as far as I know, this is only until the end of the year, but due to the pandemic, prices are likely to remain high

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:19 am

Frank, the Australia post pause was applied to mail posted in Australia for delivery to an Australian address, and only in some states. Australia Post cannot make decisions for USPS.
I am not familiar with the various levels of service offered by USPS. Might this decision of theirs be an attempt to shift mail into a more expensive category?

Allan from down under.

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:14 am

Henry Ford... perhaps the most brutal robber baron! O! The SPEW!

Novice
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring. 1923/26 Open Express. 1920 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 49832
MTFCI Number: 24686
Board Member Since: 2017

KILLING THE GOLDEN GOOSE

Post by Novice » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:40 pm

I have no problems with FedX. UPS and Amazon deliveries. The post office is shooting them selves in the BUTT! killing the golden goose which is priority mail. We only get mail deliver about four days a week now and when we do its usually in the wee hours of the morning. Priority mail has been a USPS marketing success for many years. But that can change over night. once consumers switch to a alternate carrier they seldom switch back. It's much easier to mail a package at the UPS store than the post office now and they want to make it worse. Go Figure!

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:45 pm

Service shrinks ... but the pension plan survives.

annalonco
First Name: anna
Last Name: lonco

Post by annalonco » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:20 pm

Many post offices have increased the prices of their services, as the demand among people has also increased. During the pandemic, people began to order many things online, so many decided to cash in on this problem and raise prices for their services, although, in fact, they do the same job. The greater the demand, the cheaper the costs should be, but unfortunately, this is not always the case. I order things only through tracking number epacket, as this is a very convenient and proven service by my friends and me. They did not raise prices during the pandemic, which confirmed their good faith

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:38 am

The USPS is a member of the Universal Postal Union. That organization is intended to for each countries postal service to operate as one unit and share in the delivery of mail across boarders https://www.usglobalmail.com/usps-shipp ... sruptions/
This what they have to say about mail delivery to Australia
Why Is COVID 19 Causing Shipping Disruptions?
It might seem that the virus should not have had a big impact upon shipping services, but unfortunately, it has done so in a number of ways, including sicknesses and absences. It also led to a surge in demand, with more people shopping online and more people sending packages to friends and family in lieu of visits.
Global shipping margins tend to be tight and many packages are only just delivered on time, so putting strain on the system caused an already stressed infrastructure to crumble in places.
Customs clearance backlogs, border closures, government mandates, and flight restrictions have all had a negative impact on USPS’s ability to deliver mail to certain countries, including Australia. It’s likely that other more minor effects of the pandemic have also contributed to the overall problem.
USPS does not state any specific reason for the restriction, besides the impact of the COVID 19 pandemic, so it’s likely that there are multiple contributing factors that need to be resolved.
--
Will My Mail Still Arrive On Time?
Most couriers are currently warning their customers to expect delays with shipping, regardless of which service is chosen. The multiple issues that can occur during the shipping process and the speed with which the situation changes can have unexpected impacts.
Many countries are going into and out of national lockdowns with very little warning, and this makes it difficult for couriers to predict when mail will arrive. Although mail may still travel during lockdowns, a lot of international mail is likely to be delayed, and may even be returned to the sender if the restrictions increase.
Mick Jagger

perry kete

Post by perry kete » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:52 am

Frank,

The above recent posts are a scammer who just recently signed in . They are promoting a postal site in their message. They should be ignored and deleted. They claim to have Member #1

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic