Installing a hand wiper

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Nunsio1
First Name: John
Last Name: Monticciolo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 C Cab truck
MTFCA Number: 21108

Installing a hand wiper

Post by Nunsio1 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:37 pm

Thinking about installing a hand wiper, already have the hole in the upper windshield frame. Is it worth the bother.. how’s the quality and fit of the repop parts available. Thanks for any opinion’s
John
Oscoda Michigan

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Installing a hand wiper

Post by Mark Gregush » Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:40 pm

They are ok. You may have to add a sleeve to the hole, depending on how the shaft fits through it.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

rickg
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Goelz
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Fordor, 1926 Coupe, 1923 popcorn Truck
MTFCA Number: 24965

Post by rickg » Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:53 pm

The wipers are different for the closed and open cars, i have closed cars so i have sent a couple back as they are for open cars.

Rick

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:01 pm

They work very well, however, the blade does not last 20 years! We very seldom drive our T's in the rain, and since it rarely rains in the late spring, summer or early fall, it is only by chance that we might get caught in the rain here. And in winter when it does rain, we just don't tour on rainy days. Also you might find a rattle. I tie a cord around the windshield post and hook it over the handle to keep the wiper in place when not in use.
Norm

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:09 pm

When they drilled the hole through Henrietta's windscreen frame it was not square with the screen, so the wiper did not contact the glass as it should. That is where a sleeve comes in handy. I made a brass one to fit and soldered it in place so the rusty patina on the original screen frame was least disturbed. A small spring around the shaft on the inside of the car keeps gentle pressure on the blade.

Allan from down under.

tom_strickling
First Name: Tom
Last Name: Strickling
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 11 Torpedo, 18 Touring, 21 TT Huckster, 24 snowmpbile Staude and Shaw tractor conversions, Model T powered sickel bar mower

Post by tom_strickling » Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:35 pm

Be sure to somehow use 2 jam nuts, or lock tite or peen over the bolt. Model T vibrations and just using the wiper will sometimes cause the nut to loosen and fall off
“The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off.” – Abe Lemons.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic