How to shift a ruckstell

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Bob Broihahn-S.W. Wi
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Broihahn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 15 touring,27coupe,23fordor
MTFCA Number: 15833
MTFCI Number: 21988

How to shift a ruckstell

Post by Bob Broihahn-S.W. Wi » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:13 pm

I have a 15 and 27 so I know how to drive and shift a T. I’m looking at TT truck with a ruckstell (24) Keep this simple guys ,how do I make them work together

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: How to shift a ruckstell

Post by Mark Gregush » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:05 pm

You have posted in the vehicles for sale classifieds, I will flag one of the moderators to move it.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Novice
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring. 1923/26 Open Express. 1920 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 49832
MTFCI Number: 24686
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Novice » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:50 pm

Just delete it. and repost on discussion board.

Mark Gregush
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:11 am

You can edit it but after a post has been replied to, can not be deleted.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

ChrisB
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Brancaccio
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 Roadster 1915 Coupelet 1923 Coupe 1926 Touring
MTFCA Number: 443
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 23136
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by ChrisB » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:32 am

Moved from Vehicles for Sale

Chris
Chris Brancaccio
MTFCA Webmaster
MTFCA Forum Admin

CudaMan
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:08 pm

Regarding the original question, how to shift a Ruckstell, you push the clutch pedal into the neutral position, then move the Ruckstell shift lever into the desired position, then release the clutch pedal.

Here are some brief words in the MTFCA Ruckstell booklet:

"Shifting the Ruckstell is easy provided you remember two things: (1) shift into the lower gear when the engine is pulling the car (not when the car is pushing the engine), and (2) shift into high when the engine load is at a minimum (the engine speed is synchronized with the car speed, neither pulling or pushing).

The booklet talks about using your left hand to reach over and adjust the throttle while using your right hand to shift the lever into high, but I have never been in a big enough hurry to find that necessary.

I strongly suggest you purchase or borrow the MTFCA Ruckstell booklet, it has some great stuff in it. Here is a demonstration video I found on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCowXCHg1T4
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:31 pm

It shifts easily with the car moving. Don't try when it is not moving. Even get it moving a little bit before you try to shift. When you shift down to a lower gear, leave the throttle open, but when you shift to a higher gear as you go through neutral, quickly push the throttle up then when you get into gear, adjust the throttle to the speed you desire. If you are trying to shift down before you descend a hill, be sure to slow down the car first, then pull the throttle down and quickly shift to low ruckstell and then push the throttle up. It is important to make this shift, BEFORE you descend the hill. If you don't have time to shift first, just use low pedal to hold you back, because it is possible to get stuck between gears with the Ruckstell and then you will be in freewheeling on the hill. That's why it is always wise to have auxiliary brakes and a good parking brake, just in case.
Norm

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:42 pm

Most Ruckstells ha e the shift lever to the right of the driver. FWIW if you can get one on the left it's a lot easier to shift. Or change an existing one to the left side of it isn't.

Bill Coyle
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Coyle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Roadster
MTFCI Number: 24067

Post by Bill Coyle » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:11 pm

With a TT truck's final drive gear, you might not need the ruckstell as much unless you're carrying a load.
One trick I've been taught for climbing a long grade in a car: high gear till you drop under 20, then Ruckstell. Still dropping speed you want FORD low... and HERE'S THE TRICK to get it while still climbing: throttle reduced, clutch left foot, tap Reverse with right foot while shifting Ruckstell to High then low pedal and throttle as needed. The Reverse tap unloads the rear axle allowing the Ruckstell to shift back to high. Makes you really appreciate the automatic transmission!
Credit goes to my friend Jim Greene of West Virginia.
Bill Coyle

NU2theT
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Wendt
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 32419

Post by NU2theT » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:56 pm

Thanks Mark for posting that video from Milo Farms on shifting and driving with a Ruckstell, had some time today to work on those "skills" and going up inclines are a lot better now.

I usually just drove in ruckstell high as getting used to just plain driving a T and keeping an eye on the surrounding traffic and road is enough.

bobt
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Thompson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 touring 1926 roadster

Post by bobt » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:34 am

I have a 1915 and a 1926 and both have Ruckstels. I was very confused on how to shift until a member told me " remember that ruckstell is just a two speed rear end and has nothing to do with the transmission" I clunk it into Ruckstell at a slow speed while the engine is under load and shift out of ruckstell when the engine is not. Make your shifts with a little force and don't try to gently engage the rear end gears. bobt

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic