Old Photo-Heat your house with coal oil

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Herb Iffrig
First Name: Herb
Last Name: Iffrig
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Torpedo, 1918 TT Hucksters

Old Photo-Heat your house with coal oil

Post by Herb Iffrig » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:41 pm

coal oil burner.jpg

Pep C Strebeck
First Name: Joseph
Last Name: M
MTFCA Number: 0

Re: Old Photo-Heat your house with coal oil

Post by Pep C Strebeck » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:25 pm

Is it just me or does the gentleman on the running board have his gaters on backwards?
"Remember son, there are two ways to do this: The right way, and your way” Thanks Dad, I love you too.

LOOKING FOR A LUFKIN No. 9A Height Gage Attachment.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:33 pm

I believe that is the correct way to wear that style of leather leggings. Research has shown that they were worn opening forward turned out. I have several pair like that and used to wear them in my speedster. Now my legs are too fat. It may not seem natural to today's sense of aesthetics, but many ear photographs and catalogs show them that way.

Hap_Tucker
First Name: Hap
Last Name: Tucker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 cut off touring; 1918 touring; 1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 100
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Hap_Tucker » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:52 pm

Herb,

Great photo. Any hints on where it might have been taken?

Note it is a Right Hand Drive runabout/roadster. Non-starter assuming the side lamps are original to the car. And the 5 lug aftermarket demountable rims For USA cars it has the unequal length windshield brackets and later mid 1917-1922 style windshield brackets.

The T style van on the right appears to have the USA "green visor" headlamp lense -- which was used for a short time during 1921 in the USA (ref: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/I-O.htm#lamps that says:

1921-1923 (USA)
HEADLAMPS
Catalog photos of the green- visored lens used for a short time in 1921 and the Ford “H” lens which became standard shortly after.
6511DX, 6511EX, and 6511HX (Battery)
6511KX (Magneto)
The 6511DX used a frosted “Tu-Lite” bulb with a clear lens. Early in 1921 the 6511DX clear lens was replaced with the 6511EX which had green “visor” and used a clear “Tu-Lite” bulb. The “Tu-Lite” bulb was 6-8 volt, 18 and 2-3/4 C.P. About June 1921 the 6511HX with the Ford “H” fluted lens became standard, and continued through 1925 in the passenger cars. The 6511KX used in non-starter cars used a double contact 6-8 volt, 21 C.P. bulb. The dimming inductance is mounted behind the area where the ammeter would have been.

Someone with good "photoshop" style skills might be able to make out what the license plate on the Van on the right side says or perhaps even what the license plate on the rear of the Runabout says?

I do NOT see a horn button. That would be a nice clue -- The Canadian cars never used the USA style combination horn/light switch on the steering column. But for 1916-early 1920 they did use the the USA 1915 early 1917 horn button that mounted flat on top of the steering column. And in 1920 they introduced the slant windshield, one-man-top, and horn button mounted on top of the steering wheel. But in the photo we can zoom in and see that the steering wheel is held on with a normal steering wheel nut.

I'm leaning towards a mid 1917-1919 Canadian runabout -- but that I would need additional details to tell for sure. For USA cars I would lean towards a 1918-1922 non-starter with the horn button missing or just not visible in the photo. Why -- rectangular top irons. Note in the USA, the runabout/roadster bodies continued in the earlier 1915-1920 style longer than the touring bodies.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off
Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

jaxenro
First Name: Joel
Last Name: Axenroth

Post by jaxenro » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:55 pm

Equestrian gaiters were worn like that and had the strap at the top

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic