Shipping Options for Heavy Parts?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
kfazenbaker
First Name: Katie
Last Name: Fazenbaker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Touring

Post by kfazenbaker » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:43 pm

I wasn’t sure if this better belonged in parts or here, but it’s a general question, so here goes.

We’re looking to get 2 cast iron Warfords plus radius rods, torque tube, and drive shaft shipped from AZ to WV. Has anyone shipped heavy parts like this to have advice on how to arrange it?

We are fully capable of dealing with a pallet, and have a business address it could ship to. We’ve received plenty of pallets, but have never arranged to have one shipped.

We’ve tried calling both FedEx and UPS freight divisions, but keep getting transferred and can’t get through to anyone that actually knows what they’re doing.

UShip? I’ve never used it to know how legit it is.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Mark Osterman
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Osterman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 runabout

Re: Shipping Options for Heavy Parts?

Post by Mark Osterman » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:44 pm

Greyhound Bus

ModelTWoods
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Woods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan
MTFCI Number: 20180

Post by ModelTWoods » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:06 pm

Mark Osterman wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:44 pm
Greyhound Bus
Or Fastenal, IF they are doing third party shipping like they did before the Covid pandemic got so bad in 2020 that they discontinued it.

Topic author
kfazenbaker

Post by kfazenbaker » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:14 pm

ModelTWoods wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:06 pm
Mark Osterman wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:44 pm
Greyhound Bus
Or Fastenal, IF they are doing third party shipping like they did before the Covid pandemic got so bad in 2020 that they discontinued it.
Unhappily Fastenal draws a line and won’t ship east from beyond NM.

Will take a look at greyhound. Hadn’t thought of that one.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:23 pm

This happened about 10 years ago. A visitor from Switzerland came to our national tour. He ordered a transmission and had it delivered to my house. Then he came by and picked it up and stowed it with his checked luggage and flew it to Switzerland. It must haven gotten there because I haven't heard from him since! Anyway, if you find someone who is going there, you might ask them to deliver it for you.
Norm

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:26 pm

Even if you know someone who is going part way, maybe they can take it there and meet the purchaser. Like maybe Missouri which would be in between.
Norm

FreighTer Jim
First Name: James
Last Name: Jarzabek
MTFCA Number: 29562
MTFCI Number: 24398
Board Member Since: 2008

Post by FreighTer Jim » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:30 pm

A Relay Thread Is Needed 💡

So members headed places with room can
haul things for other members 🚛

So members needing things hauled
can post their hauling needs 🤔

I will start one 🕰

FJ
Google “ Model T Transport “
MTFCA - MTFCI - MAFCA Member

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:03 pm

I used greyhound once and a freight hauler a couple of times. Both were difficult to hook up with. My best experience was fastenal, but that does not sound like an option for you. Try an internet search for freight in your area and if something comes up give them a call. Tough nut to crack for a lawman outside the industry.

QGolden
First Name: Quinn
Last Name: Golden
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 51795

Post by QGolden » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:19 pm

I have had good luck with UShip. A massive network of mostly independent haulers. There are brokers there as well, but I usually just filter them out. It’s amazing how many people are traveling around the country and transport items to offset expenses. It is a bid process as well. The last car I shipped started out with a bid of $625 dollars, by the time I closed the bidding and contracted a hauler, it was $335.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:27 pm

Getting a hauler is one thing but getting the heavy parts packed or crated is another.
And yes I already know UPS is a big no no for some people. I was one of those folks that had a guitar amplifier dropped that was in a heavy box that was the wrong type to ship it in. It was insured so in time I got the value covered by UPS.

I would have the parts banded down securely on a pallet of some sort. Whoever you use to ship, heavy parts have a way of getting dropped or getting loose on a pallet, or getting dropped. Have your items insured for sure. Just some advice that might help you.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:36 pm

kfazenbaker wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:43 pm
I wasn’t sure if this better belonged in parts or here, but it’s a general question, so here goes.

We’re looking to get 2 cast iron Warfords plus radius rods, torque tube, and drive shaft shipped from AZ to WV. Has anyone shipped heavy parts like this to have advice on how to arrange it?
Any advice would be much appreciated! Thank you!
Shipping costs are based on weight & volume. Your mix is a terrible combination - the radius rods, torque tube, and drive shaft will push the volume up and the Warfords shipping weight per TEXAS T is 75lbs each. So you might consider shipping each Warford separately and all the long items together. I recently shipped a set of 4 Model A wheels in two' packages 2 wheels each via FedEx Home Delivery. Was a simple solution - no pallet, less cost, insured, tracked and arrived at the destination in a few days.
FedEx Packages up to 150 lbs.; up to 119" in length and 165" in length and girt
UPS Packages can be up to 150 lbs. · Packages can be up to 165 inches in length and girth combined. I guessed at Warford packaging and weight you can give it a shot https://www.fedex.com/en-us/online/rating.html# $307 for both Warfords
I did a similar calculation for 70 inch package - varied weight 60-70lbs and girth - basically all were $135-$140 cost.
UPS about the same https://wwwapps.ups.com/ctc/request?loc=en_US
warf.png
----
Note the effect of shipping the two Warfords together via FedEx
warf2.png
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

ahovey
First Name: Austin
Last Name: Hovey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘11 Torpedo
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by ahovey » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:21 pm

Try UniShippers.com

We use it regularly at work for arranging LTL shipping (less than truckload). It’s fairly intuitive to use and provides you with a variety of rates and service providers to choose from. We use it nearly on a daily basis for all sorts of freight.

Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Post by Dan McEachern » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:31 am

If you can put everything on a pallet and strap it down or build a crate on the pallet, try Freight quote. You can arrange to drop the pallet at a freight terminal and have the person on the other end pick it up at the terminal. Too bad about Fastenal- they were very competitive rate wise with LTL shipping.

Topic author
kfazenbaker

Post by kfazenbaker » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:02 am

Unhappily the seller decided shipping would be too difficult, but we’re still looking for a transmission so this information may yet be useful. Thanks everyone!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic