Interacting with Model Ts with disability

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
mknox21
First Name: Micaela
Last Name: Knox
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Model T Museum, 309 N 8th St, Richmond IN 47374
MTFCA Number: 12345

Interacting with Model Ts with disability

Post by mknox21 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:52 pm

Hi everyone!

I wanted to start a conversation about accessibility and different abilities involving the hobby of Model Ts. I would like to reference this conversation when considering accessibility within the Model T Museum, so it would be greatly appreciated!

Do you experience life with divergent physical or mental ability? Do you have a friend or family member who has limited visibility, limited mobility, autism, etc? How does this aspect of life impact how you/they interact with a vehicle, especially a Model T? How about within a museum? What social accessibility efforts would help increase your appreciation of the Model T, the MTFCA community or museums in general?

As always, feel free to reply to this thread or email me at micaela@mtfca.com. Thanks!
Micaela Knox
Associate Museum Director
Model T Museum
309 N 8th St, Richmond, IN 47374
mtfca.com/museum
facebook.com/ModelTMuseum
instagram.com/modeltmuseum

Will_Vanderburg
First Name: William
Last Name: Vanderburg
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 28382

Re: Interacting with Model Ts with disability

Post by Will_Vanderburg » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:08 pm

I was born with a congenital birth defect as well as club feet, with one ankle pinned in a permanent position. I've had reconstructive surgery over the years, and I drive a Model T without any assistance or problems.

I'm 54 and have owned my car for 25 years.
William L Vanderburg

1925 Touring
1922 Center Door Sedan

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:31 pm

We have had over the years many people with disabilities. Some able to drive and others not. It is not hard to carry a wheel chair on the running board. Sometimes the person must sit in the back seat because of limitations in entering the front seat for the driver, but many do so and continue to attend tours and other outings.
Norm

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:49 pm

There was a man in MN, Michael J Dowling, who lost parts of both legs and his left arm to frostbite. I believe there are stories about him driving a Model T. Contact the www.yellowstonetrail.org and they might have some info for you.

John Heaman
First Name: John
Last Name: Heaman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Canadian 1912 Ford Model T Touring

Post by John Heaman » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:20 pm

I have pituitary dwarfism and had the T's 3 pedals extended. We saved the originals and modified later smooth pedals and then glued the 'CRB' rubber pads to them. This allows me sit on the seat pillow free. Before I always had a 5" pillow at my back. In modern iron I sit on a 4" foam cushion.

8C5C5D1A-21E5-4250-85EC-AC5D39F75C91.jpeg
302DB2FB-5246-44F1-8C9B-F5C55E1A3F7A_1_201_a.jpeg

My first car! Mom folded a big blanket up and stuffed it at my back.
She was so good to me!

ED729168-E80E-4BE9-B5A1-EB253CF1A851.jpeg
I’m reading a book about anti-gravity. I just can’t put it down. :lol:

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:10 pm

And who would not be proud of such a great ride and a caring mother?! That's a great picture...made my day.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Michael Peternell
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Peternell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT gas truck, T tractor conversions, '15 touring, '17 speedster, '26 16 valve speedster

Post by Michael Peternell » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:51 pm

Scott_Conger wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:10 pm
And who would not be proud of such a great ride and a caring mother?! That's a great picture...made my day.
Mine too! Still got the pedal car?

John Heaman
Last Name: Heaman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Canadian 1912 Ford Model T Touring

Post by John Heaman » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:09 pm

Michael Peternell wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:51 pm
Still got the pedal car?

Unfortunately I no longer have the car. I probably wouldn't need the blanket at my back anymore!
I’m reading a book about anti-gravity. I just can’t put it down. :lol:

otrcman
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Fischer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring

Post by otrcman » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:50 pm

Not specifically Model T, but driving with a disability just the same.

My late uncle, George Berrington, Jr. (b. 1922) was born with club feet. When WWII broke out, he wanted badly to serve but was rejected as 4F. One day he read an article in the newspaper saying that the Army needed experienced truck drivers and that some disabilities would be waived providing they could pass a skill test.

Uncle Geordie was one of four sons, raised on a citrus ranch. He was the designated driver for any and all of the farming equipment. Driving a brand new tractor truck was a walk in the park for him.

He was immensely proud of having done his part.

Luxford
First Name: Peter
Last Name: Kable
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Town Car 1913 Speedster 1915 kampcar
MTFCA Number: 4
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Luxford » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:24 am

Here is a conversion for someone who had lost his legs back in 1922. It's from a Popular Mechanics magazine.
Attachments
1922 Nov#798.JPG

Rob
First Name: Rob
Last Name: Heyen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Models B, F, K, N, Ford racer and 3 Model T

Post by Rob » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:29 am

Ford's with planetary transmissions may have been among simplest (and affordable) cars to drive for those with disabilities. Two examples below "in the day." The first example takes place in Warwick, RI, where, coincidently, our Model K was sold new:

This first, is probably a Model R (cost $750). With the high, low and neutral on a lever, this man without use of his legs would have needed a brake and reverse lever added to have use of all controls:
3DB2659B-79E3-4CC9-9746-25B4ABA9C967.jpeg

This 1910 article must apply to a Model T owner in Bakersfield:

0F6A29E4-ED79-4E76-B3C3-F4239884A631.jpeg

varmint
First Name: Vernon
Last Name: Worley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: October 26, 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 49462

Post by varmint » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:26 am

Before COVID shut us down, I was working with 50-120 special needs adults a week. They seems to always enjoy seeing an old vehicle that I drove up there, as it was an experience. I could not give rides for liability reasons but it was not necessary. During COVID I was asked to do a special needs birthday drive-by at a park with firetrucks, police and others. That said and having seen the museum again just last month, I recommend reaching out to any special needs group in that Indiana area and offering a free Special Needs Day for people (including the supporting staff and case workers) to see the museum. We crossed the street just fine between the two buildings and there is the parking lot driveway as an alternative to the stairs. I did not notice any safety concerns within the buildings but I wasn't looking for them.
Vern (Vieux Carre)

modeltbarn
First Name: Gary
Last Name: London
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring
MTFCA Number: 16592

Post by modeltbarn » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:47 pm

My father's '15 Roadster was modified with hand controls and a starter in the late 1980's. I've posted pictures of them before on this forum, and there was a write up in the HCCA Gazette. I've still got them. He had MS and needed 2 canes to walk. They extended the time he could drive the T by a number of years.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:15 pm

While mine was not from birth; In 1985 I was in a motorcycle accident. My left ankle now has limited mobility and that leg is about 1+ inches shorter. Has not stopped me from driving my T or for that matter any car with clutch. Using the low pedal on a long uphill does put a strain on it.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

John Codman
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:12 am

My observation has been that a person with physical challenges who really wants to do something, will usually find a way to do it. A very good friend of mine contracted Polio in the pre-Salk vaccine days of the mid-50s. He has used crutches braces on his legs all of his adult life. When he passed his driver's test he was restricted to an automatic transmission, hand brake, and hand headlight dimmer switch. He hated the restrictions and refused to put "Handicapped Person" license plates on his car, thus forfeiting the use of handicapped parking spaces. Over the next couple of years he worked intensely at getting the restrictions removed from his license. He now has a non-restricted license, and can and does drive anything that he wants to. He does not consider himself to be handicapped, and has changed engines and even automatic transmissions on pre-emission cars solo. His day job was as a mechanical engineer. He is now retired.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic