Do you use a sealant with your gaskets

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Myxr6turbo
First Name: Shawn
Last Name: Barnard
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 coupe

Do you use a sealant with your gaskets

Post by Myxr6turbo » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:42 pm

Do you use and sealants with your gaskets when putting the engine back together?

KWTownsend
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Townsend
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: late 1911 touring, 1915 runabout, 1919 touring, brass speedster
MTFCA Number: 14778
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16305
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Do you use a sealant with your gaskets

Post by KWTownsend » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:13 pm

Permatex #2

Topic author
Myxr6turbo

Post by Myxr6turbo » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:30 pm

Perfect. Thank you.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:29 am

Some folks brag on The Right Stuff, but it's the wrong stuff for me. I'm slow, and it begins to set up before I'm ready. I prefer Ultra Black. In places where I may need to undo the installation (inspection covers, oil screen, water inlet & outlet, valve covers) I grease the stationary metal (hogshead, engine block) so that when I remove the movable part the gasket will remain intact so I don't have to scrape it off and replace it.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
Myxr6turbo

Post by Myxr6turbo » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:28 am

So there is no real need to use a sealant to "help" the gasket not leak its more about using the gaskets again?

Topic author
Myxr6turbo

Post by Myxr6turbo » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:29 am

So there is no real need to use a sealant to "help" the gasket not leak its more about using the gaskets again?

BE_ZERO_BE
First Name: BOB
Last Name: CASCISA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 TOURING
MTFCA Number: 16897
MTFCI Number: 16628

Post by BE_ZERO_BE » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:21 am

+1 for Keith (Permatex #2)
Respectfully Submitted,
Be_Zero_Be

I drive a Model T ... Microseconds don't matter :D

For every Absolute Model T Fact there are at least three exceptions.

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:15 am

#2 non hardening, gaskets, radiator hoses, everything but a head gasket.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:34 am

Of course the sealant is to help the gasket seal. You can use it with or without greasing one surface. You can make it a permanent reusable gasket, or you can spend time and money scraping off the old gasket and replacing it every time, whichever you prefer.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:19 am

It depends on the application, the condition of the surfaces, the need for periodic disassembly, and the material the gasket is made of. Some original equipment gasket joints are known to be troublesome, and use of modern gasket sealers can improve the performance of such problem areas.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:01 am

I like to use sealant on all the oil or water containg surfaces except the head gasket. And even on the head in small areas where there is a known leak. If the leak is very great, I have the head re-surfaced and then do not use any sealer. On crankcase or inspection plates, I use sealer on one side of the gasket just to fill in areas which might be bent slightly between the bolts. It will also hold the gasket in place so that I can reuse if necessary. I like Ultra Black.
Norm

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Re: Do you use a sealant with your gaskets.

Post by jiminbartow » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:00 pm

Over many years, the bolts and nuts holding pressed steel flanges to cast iron part have been over tightened, causing the pressed steel flanges to distort, such as the oil pan and transmission cover, valve cover, bottom oil pan cover and bendix cover. This results in the holes fitting tightly against eachother while the areas between the holes are like shallow ditches that a gasket cannot completely seal. If you do not have your pan trued up on a pan jig, you will need sealant to seal the flanges between the holes. Even with a trued pan, sealant is a good idea in case you overtighten the bolts and nuts and recreate the conditions mentioned above.

I’m one of those that prefers “The Right Stuff”. I just feel it is the best. I’m not fast… as a matter of fact, I am verrrryyyy slow and methodical, but I discovered that doing one side of each gasket at a time and bolting it tight against the opposing dry flange (protected by wax paper) and allowing the one side to cure overnight before unbolting and doing the other side, gets around the problem of the sealant curing before the application and aligning process is completed. Also, the one dry side with wax paper allows you to easily slide the one side around to quickly align it without distorting, wrinkling, folding up or ripping the delicate gasket as often happens when both sides are slathered with sealant. When done, I get an almost perfect, leak free seal. I use the “Permatex”spray-on copper seal for both sides of the head gasket. Several have mentioned that they do not apply sealant to the machined side which is okay, if the surface was just resurfaced, but one does not always choose to have their block resurfaced and I have never heard of anyone resurfacing the underside surfaces if the block of hogshead where it meets the pan. I believe it is always a good idea to do both sides of all gaskets, even if the one surface is machined because as old as the Model T is, even a machined surface is often pock marked with rust pits which, if not sealed, can eventually be an avenue of escape for oil or, water, in the case of the block and head. Jim Patrick

PS. Also pictured is also is 90 Minute “Right Stuff”…

A5C984BE-D813-4CEF-8C99-F328DCACF4A7.jpeg
4F56CBBD-E438-455B-8CF7-11134C01E449.jpeg
FBFBA54F-D054-472B-A31B-2555E0861323.jpeg
Last edited by jiminbartow on Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:27 pm, edited 7 times in total.

TonyB
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Bowker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring
MTFCA Number: 32
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by TonyB » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:03 pm

It depends on the surface being sealed. Very often I don’t use sealant on a machined surface. So the gasket between the pan and block I will only use sealant on the pan side. It’s a judgement call, if both surfaces are in poor condition, then goop on both side. But if the conditions are good, then only on the none machined side. Usually the two water connection on the block are in what I call poor condition so both sides get goop
I mention goop as a generic term, normally I use black silicon seal.
On the copper asbestos gasket between the head and block, I use the copper spray.
Last edited by TonyB on Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Bowker
La Mesa, California
1914 Touring, 1915 Speedster, 1924 Coupe.

SurfCityGene
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Carrothers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Torpedo Roadster
MTFCA Number: 22905
MTFCI Number: 23068
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by SurfCityGene » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:02 pm

I don't like oil or coolant leaks.
Permatex makes some excellent products. One I prefer is the Ultra Black because of it's longer working before setting up. Many places I use it without any gaskets except if needed for alignment.

Over time I have found Ultra Black to be useful for many other applications like to mend a tear on a leather seat or top material. Great for sealing a water freeze leak on the block. Perfect adhesive when installing a modern oil seal to the front crank shaft preventing that troublesome drip that then blows back under the rest of the car coating it with oil. Seems like I discover a new one everyday when a strong flexible adhesive is needed.

Beware, not all Black silicone type sealants are the same.
1912 Torpedo Roadster

Topic author
Myxr6turbo

Post by Myxr6turbo » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:30 pm

Thank you so much everyone. That was so much help. I have looked in our local store. We don't have "the right stuff" we do have #2 and the ultra black. Do I need both or will 1 be ok for all surfaces? This a 1920 engine and nothing has or will been machined and at the moment it's totally stripped. I may need to pull it apart later but I'm hoping not 🤞

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:47 pm

Ultra black's 95% of the time. 5% hi tack for hogs head gaskets to pan. (gaskets wont slip during maneuvering)
Have not used #2.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic