Need info on a Stewart-Warner 160 Speedometer

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Need info on a Stewart-Warner 160 Speedometer

Post by jiminbartow » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:14 pm

Good afternoon. I am getting ready to list on eBay, a perfect Stewart-Warner 160 Speedometer, restored by Russ Furstow, complete with gears, cable and rebuilt speedometer head and dash adapter. The gear ratio is for cars with 21” wheels, like my 1926. I originally bought it to go on my Red 1926 Fordor I currently have listed on eBay, but decided to list it separately and I want to get the listing description correct and have a few questions:

1. What years Model T was the 160 speedometer setup designed to fit? I assume it was designed only for the Model T due to the length of the flexible steel cable.
2. Should this be referred to as a Stewart or Stewart-Warner?
3. Does it work only on cars with 21” wheels or can it be configured to work with larger or smaller wheels?
4. I believe that if it is used on a car with 30” wheels, the speedometer will read that that the car is going slower than it is and the odometer will read that it is covering less mileage than it is and if it is used on cars with wheels smaller than 21” it will read that the car is going faster than it is and the odometer will read that the car is covering more miles than it is.
5. If the above (#4) assumption is correct, is the only way for this setup to be used on other than 21” wheels is to get set of gears with a different ratio?
6. Can this be used on any vintage 1910’s, 1920’s and 1930’s car with 21” wheels and the correct distance between the front right wheel and the dash?
7. I purchased this from Russ Furstow about 15 years ago. I know how much I paid and how much I want to charge, but I want to be sure I am in line with what they currently sell for. I am aware that the price these will bring is only limited by what people will pay, or how bad they want it but, based upon what you have seen lately, what do you think is a fair market value for for a complete, restored, working 160 in this condition? The instruction/maintenance manual shown in the pictures will be included.

Thank you for your help.
Jim Patrick

PS. I will be listing a lot of Model T items in the coming weeks that I have collected in the last 30 years so if interested, please visit my auctions. I will be listing Items such as rear stop lights, horns, coil boxes, body parts, dash parts, accessories, etc. Without the Fordor to restore, I no longer need them. I am a slow lister and can only list one or two items every few days, so be patient. They will be listed on eBay eventually

2D871CAA-36D3-4FD3-80A8-6835C0FCB685.jpeg
EFEFAF04-C8BA-4070-BBAB-94A9FE6804BA.jpeg
ACEBA99E-7ED6-40FD-A434-16B845165C8E.jpeg

Will_Vanderburg
First Name: William
Last Name: Vanderburg
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 28382

Re: Need info on a Stewart-Warner 160 Speedometer

Post by Will_Vanderburg » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:21 pm

I have a Stewart 160 for my 1922 Centerdoor, because there was a square hole cut in the instrument panel for it, although the car wasn't equipped with one from the factory. I have it for display only, as I do not have the other items to connect it.
Attachments
IMG-0511.jpg
William L Vanderburg

1925 Touring
1922 Center Door Sedan

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411

Post by RajoRacer » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:37 pm

Why not list your extra parts through here ? Why pay Ebay fees ?

Topic author
jiminbartow

Post by jiminbartow » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:17 pm

With the MTFCA classified ads, one must determine a price and stick with it until the item sells. With EBay’s auction format, the bidders determine the price and the sky’s the limit if an item is rare and someone wants it really bad. This is the best way when a seller is not sure how much something is worth and is hesitant to affix a firm price to the item, so I set a beginning bid on what I would like to get and let bidders determine the worth instead of me coming up with a firm price which could be totally off. If I get no bids, I’ll know my price is too high. If I get a lot of bids that drive the price way higher than what I thought the item was worth, I’ll know that I undervalued it and let the bidders continue the bidding process. Take care. Jim Patrick

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:59 pm

List is on eBay in auction with what you have into it plus what the fees would to cover the sale price/shipping/tax + .30 as a starting price.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Topic author
jiminbartow

Post by jiminbartow » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:26 pm

Well, I’ve taken pictures and am ready to list. While I didn’t receive the answers I needed to ensure my description is correct, I’m going to describe it the best I can on what I think I know. It will show up tonight on ebay at 10:00pm EST. If you view it, and see anything that is incorrect, please let me know on this thread and I will change anything that is incorrect. Many thanks to all who took the time to respond. Jim Patrick

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic