Head bolts: anti seize or no

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
NY John T
First Name: John
Last Name: Killelea
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926

Head bolts: anti seize or no

Post by NY John T » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:53 pm

Hi all,
I'm re installing the coil box on top of the engine for my 26/27. Should I use anti seize on the head bolts or not?
Thanks.
John

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Re: Head bolts: anti seize or no

Post by DanTreace » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:48 pm

Does help prevent a stuck bolt, just a small smear on the ends of the lowest threads.
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

JBog
First Name: Jason
Last Name: Bogstie
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50288
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by JBog » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:41 am

I was always told no. I was told it can throw off an accurate torque and you could over torque them.

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Post by Kerry » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:34 am

Some say yes and some no, I know which will screw out without grief years down the track. As a engine builder I've always used it and no issues for more that 50 years.

mtntee20
First Name: Terry & Sharon
Last Name: Miller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 Center Door, 1920 TTWood cab Farm Truck with cable dump grain bed, 1920 TT C-Cab with express bed, 1927 Wood body Dairy Delivery truck
MTFCA Number: 32583
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by mtntee20 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:25 am

Before anyone can accurately answer this question, we need to know if the torque specification is "wet" or "dry". To date, I have seen torque specs. quoted but never with the complete spec.

Did Ford, torque with lubricant on the threads (wet) OR without lubricant on the threads (dry)? Knowing this will prevent over/under torqueing of the fasteners.

I suggest using anti-seize on all fasteners that will be exposed to weather and/or torqued to a specification.

NOT FORD TORQUE SPECS: 7/16"-14 tpi, "grade 5", NOT PLATED = 50 ft-lbs, "grade 8", NOT PLATED = 70 ft-lbs Plated bolt torque specs are different. This information is from current industry standards and NOT FROM/FOR FORD specifically or originally.

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:40 am

No, not a head bolt. Almost anywhere else is fine.

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Post by Kerry » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:18 am

Now I know that the T engine is no racing engine but this applies to modern diesels and standard practice in high end preformance engines.
Quote.

The torque method is sometimes inaccurate because of the uncertainty in the coefficient of friction at the interface between bolt and thread, this inaccuracy can be minimized by using the lubricant supplied by ARP. The same considerations apply in the design of studs.

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:25 am

Cannot stress enough the importance of using a bottom tap to clean out the thread wells. Vacuum/blow out. I use anti-seize very light coat, never have any problems. Ré-torque head as your normal maintenance.

Hank

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:21 am

I would use it, sparingly. Most all Model T blocks are now well-used, and the head bolt threads in the block are very likely off-specification due to wear, heat cycling, stress cycling, having bolts run in dirty, over-torqued, run loose, unevenly torqued, etc, which likely would affect torque readings to some degree. Some judgement is required.

John Codman
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:58 am

As far as I know, Ford did not publish torque specs for the T. Most on this forum seem to think that about 50 ft.lbs is good. As a practical matter the actual torque depends on the coefficient of friction between the threads on the bolt and those in the block (as was previously stated in an earlier post). Since we cannot guarantee that that friction will be the same in all cases, we level the playing field by carefully cleaning the threads and placing a lubricant on them. I bolted the head onto my first engine in 1960; I have always used anti-seize on headbolt threads and have never had a problem.

Art M
First Name: Art
Last Name: Mirtes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32489
MTFCI Number: 24068
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Art M » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:15 am

The most accurate method of tightening a bolt is by the angle method, a high is the way modern car head bolts are tightened. This procedure can be used with model ts, but becomes complicated because the bolts must be retightened. If anyone is interested, I can describe it but would have to do a little digging.

With aluminum heads I very much recommend this method because the coefficient of friction is different.
Art Mirtes

Topic author
NY John T
Last Name: Killelea
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926

Post by NY John T » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:23 am

OK, so people are divided. One thing that many have stated is that I clean out the threads on the block. I don't have that size tap. What size are the head bolts? I do have some new head bolts but don't have a way of measuring the thread pitch. Can someone supply that info and I'll buy a thread tap for it. Thanks for all the suggestions.
John

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479

Post by Henry K. Lee » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:31 am

7/16” X 14 TPI.

Hank

BobShirleyAtlantaTx
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Shirley
MTFCA Number: 29135

Post by BobShirleyAtlantaTx » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:40 am

In aircraft maintenance they always emphasize that bolt torque is achieved with a clean, dry, thread.

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:41 am

..but many torque tables specify clean, lightly-lubricated threads...

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:01 pm

I have never used it. It might be good, however it could also cause the bolt to work loose. I don't know.
These things I do know, however: The threads must be good on both the bolt and the block. And there must be no crack nor thread extending into the water jacket. The main reason a bolt will seize up is rust. If the thread extends into the water jacket you will get rust which will freeze the threads. I have not tried this, but it might be possible to use some permatex sealer on the lower threads to seal out the water, but if you need to re-thread the block, try hard not to drill too deep. I have used helicoils on several engines without any problems. Most important to get the threads clean and blow or vacuum out all dirt in block. Also re-torque after the engine has been warmed up either hot for iron head or cool off again for aluminum.
Norm

Art M

Post by Art M » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:14 pm

The most accurate method of tightening a bolt is by the angle method, a high is the way modern car head bolts are tightened. This procedure can be used with model ts, but becomes complicated because the bolts must be retightened. If anyone is interested, I can describe it but would have to do a little digging.

With aluminum heads I very much recommend this method because the coefficient of friction is different.
Art Mirtes

George Mills
First Name: George
Last Name: Mills
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Roadster, 1919 Hack, 1925 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 29497
MTFCI Number: 10032
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George Mills » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:21 pm

I don't use it on head bolts and have had a devil of a time getting some off and thats on pre-23 where the bolt shank automatically rusted to the cylinder head drilled holes!

I'll also add to the chart tracers....the Ford system and the chart system have nothing in common...

When Ford changed from 3/8-24 to 7/16 - 14 they violated every rule in the book....simply because...they could...and proved their 'hack' in 15 million or so copies.

The thread engagement was LEFT at the 3/8 spec...too much work to modify to go by the rules for a 7/16-14.

So what's the torque? Depends on who you talk to. Some of us go 35-40 and are willing to do a bit of a pull down if something wicks after the first run. That does occur but less than half the time. Others go 50-55 because it also works...with only an occasional thread tear. Then we have the big guys who start at 55, may even go to 60 and beyond but will usually pull at least one thread in the process (Yeay Helicoils! I never understood why just one gets replaced though...they already proved their setting shears threads? Do they secretly Helicoil all?) There is an irony to a proper installed thread-set or Helicoil...just like magic, the head bolt torque now is good with the published tables!

As far as the wet and dry thing? I think we reached consensus a long time ago that normal cutting fluids and oil with bolts picked from a barrel was probably the definition of dry...just wipe them off.

To each his own...my O2....

Art M

Post by Art M » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:40 pm

I like George Mills definition of a dry bolt. Many torque charts that I have seen says dry threads.
The torque caused by the bolt head shoulder contributes a significant amount of the total torque. My past research shows about 40 percent goes to the shoulder torque. Consequently, don't forget to lube the shoulder if you are into thread lubrication.
Art Mirtes

jab35
First Name: James
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615

Post by jab35 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:47 pm

This is an interesting post. And what is recommended/personal experience regarding seldom-seize compounds and torque with Stainless Steel head bolts and Model T block? Aren't SS domed headbolts now being offered for the improved Fords? Thanks, jb

Charlie B in N.J.
First Name: CHARLIE
Last Name: BRANCA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: "27 Tudor / "23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 28967
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Charlie B in N.J. » Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:14 am

If anybody’s counting I’m with the clean the threads, in dry and 50lb. group. 1 retorque after a duty cycle.
Forget everything you thought you knew.

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:41 am

jab35 wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:47 pm
This is an interesting post. And what is recommended/personal experience regarding seldom-seize compounds and torque with Stainless Steel head bolts and Model T block? Aren't SS domed headbolts now being offered for the improved Fords? Thanks, jb
Have not seen SS offered. Langs shows nickle plated.
Stainless bolts are a whole nother kettle of fish.

John kuehn
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:35 am

Haven’t used anti seize on head bolts. I clean up the block holes, chase the threads all the way making sure the head bolts aren’t stretched, and apply a little grease, retighten and alls good every time. Issues happen when the bolt holes aren’t cleaned out all the way.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:12 am

Once again, you guys (and I) are responding to a 2 year old thread dredged-up by a Chatbot.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Rich P. Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Rich P. Bingham » Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:40 am

:lol: Apparently the chatbot doesn't know whether to use anti-seize either ! :lol:

Technicalities make for interesting speculation. A surfeit of knowledge can lead to paralysis ! Comparisons between a model T Ford and the requirements of a refined aircraft engine seem a wee bit strained. How many million times were Ford T cylinder heads removed and replaced successfully by mechanics and owners who had never heard of a torque wrench ?
Get a horse !

Craig Leach
First Name: craig
Last Name: leach
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Firetruck/1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 26647

Post by Craig Leach » Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:17 am

Hi Scott,
Good catch, thanks.
Craig.

Nv Bob