Since There Are No Cutouts With VR’s Inside Available….

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
MichaelPawelek
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Pawelek
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Touring, 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 1999

Since There Are No Cutouts With VR’s Inside Available….

Post by MichaelPawelek » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:00 pm

At this time would you feel safer running a repro cutout or a diode on your generator?

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Re: Since There Are No Cutouts With VR’s Inside Available….

Post by speedytinc » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:45 pm

MichaelPawelek wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:00 pm
At this time would you feel safer running a repro cutout or a diode on your generator?
Diode!. The cheap mechanical units (very light weight compared to original) commonly failed & killed generators. There is a potted tractor replacement diode unit as cheap as $14 on ebay. I have not used one yet. I have always made my own heavy duty diode units from bad original cutouts.
Any thing you run, keep an eye on the ammeter. If you are not showing a charge, stop immediately & ground out the gen output to save your generator. Keeping gen output @ its lower output adds some cushion. As an unnecessary safety, I have it wired to a ground switch in the cab as mentioned in previous posts.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:53 pm

Its really easy to update a cut-out with a diode. Some internal styles may make it a little harder. While the solenoid and diode both prevent the generator from motoring when the engine is turned off there is a difference in continuity testing. The solenoid is an electronic switch that opens or closes based on voltage output from the generator. So when the switch is open there is no continuity across the cut-out contacts.
A diode operates as a voltage check valve, so when the engine is turned off battery current can't pass back into the generator and spin it like a motor. However, it will always show continuity across the cut-out contacts because its designed to allow current to flow in that direction.
This may sound weird, but since there is continuity but no current across the diode the negative battery cable will spark when you reconnect it. Not to worry
Attachments
Diode  update.jpg
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Dave Young
First Name: David
Last Name: Young
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Touring, 26 RPU, 24 Coupe, 26 Speedster, 28 Chandler, 29 Chandler, 29 A

Post by Dave Young » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:43 pm

I’d like to see some more on this topic, as I am also needing a VR or cutout. I do have a few old cutouts that I can do this to. Like to see a few more pictures or drawings. Thanks

speedytinc
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring

Post by speedytinc » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:53 pm

TRDxB2 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:53 pm
Its really easy to update a cut-out with a diode. Some internal styles may make it a little harder. While the solenoid and diode both prevent the generator from motoring when the engine is turned off there is a difference in continuity testing. The solenoid is an electronic switch that opens or closes based on voltage output from the generator. So when the switch is open there is no continuity across the cut-out contacts.
A diode operates as a voltage check valve, so when the engine is turned off battery current can't pass back into the generator and spin it like a motor. However, it will always show continuity across the cut-out contacts because its designed to allow current to flow in that direction.
This may sound weird, but since there is continuity but no current across the diode the negative battery cable will spark when you reconnect it. Not to worry
The diode shown here is a bit weak for my taste. I use one with a 10/32 stud. A very recent post showed it on a sample unit. I dont recall the value ratings off the top. The heavier diode does create more heat, but I vent the back side of the cover. Not had a problem yet. Also, the wire connections are physically set before solder. I have seen other units come unsoldered.
If I reverse the probes with my meter, is shows continuity in 1 direction. The flow of current thru it.

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:17 pm

This must be the recent post 24OCT21
https://mtfca.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php? ... ge#p188663
Attachments
diode x.png
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

speedytinc

Post by speedytinc » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:43 am

Yes, thats it.

paddy1998
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Delaney
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922/23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50356

Post by paddy1998 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:08 am

I don't trust myself with these kinds of electrical projects, mostly because I don't have a firm grasp of what's going on.

So I just bought the Nurex semi-conductor cut out. A little spendy but it works great.

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:10 pm

The NUREX semiconductor cut-out is just another diode version with what they say is a larger heat sink. While they claim "allowing" the maximum of 20amp output from your generator, you best limit the generator to 5-10amps as most are. Filament headlights + tail lights + coils are less than 10amps. https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/prod ... &cat=41710
Attachments
nurex.png
Mick Jagger

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:39 pm

The diode makes a cutout electronic rather than mechanical. It doesn't make it a VR.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

MKossor
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Kossor
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Touring
MTFCI Number: 22706

Post by MKossor » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:06 pm

Anyone within 100 miles of NJ with a functioning generator test stand I could buy or borrow?

I have the VR circuit modeled and simulated but need to build a few and bench test Before making a production run. These would be just the circuit board and components only that would fit into the standard cutout housing OR could be mounted into a separate housing of your choice and wired up.

Thoughts?, suggestions?
I-Timer + ECCT Adjusted Coils = Best Model T Engine Performance Possible!
www.modeltitimer.com www.modeltecct.com

speedytinc

Post by speedytinc » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:15 pm

MKossor wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:06 pm
Anyone within 100 miles of NJ with a functioning generator test stand I could buy or borrow?

I have the VR circuit modeled and simulated but need to build a few and bench test Before making a production run. These would be just the circuit board and components only that would fit into the standard cutout housing OR could be mounted into a separate housing of your choice and wired up.

Thoughts?, suggestions?

HELP THIS GUY OUT.

The hobby is on the verge of a reliable supply of voltage regulators once again!! YAY!

paddy1998

Post by paddy1998 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:29 pm

MKossor wrote:

Thoughts?, suggestions?
Off point, but why not design a generator test stand to manufacture and sell?

I couldn't be happier with my ECCT and I-Timer, so I'd buy one. ;)

speedytinc

Post by speedytinc » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:23 pm

paddy1998 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:29 pm
MKossor wrote:

Thoughts?, suggestions?
Off point, but why not design a generator test stand to manufacture and sell?

I couldn't be happier with my ECCT and I-Timer, so I'd buy one. ;)
A test stand is a neat luxury. Not necessary for non re builders. When done right, it would be used once in the lifetime of the T owner. The service manual instructs adjusting in car. A guy regularly rebuilding T generators is handy enough to cheaply built their own. Or has & uses a lathe in the process, which can be easily adapted as the motor source. As such there couldnt be a large enough customer base to be feasible. Or, I am too pessimistic & am loosing out on my first million $$.

I missed the boat with the FP VR. Didnt realize the brilliance/magic of em till it was too late.
New VR's from M.K. will be a home run. I am soon going to be out of the cutout diode conversion business & into the cutout VR conversion business.
Can smell it coming.

Scott_Conger
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:33 pm

Scott

in answer to your question: it is a matter of (what I view as) demand...which would be lacking.

Putting together a test stand like I posted on another thread would cost ME around $250 in materials (quality meters, enclosure, motor, coupling, wiring, bar stock). After assembly time, welding time, etc., it would be around $400. Before shipping. And, it isn't really a production-producible thing...it would take more design to be a finished product.

I think I am the King of trying to hawk something no one wants. Every time I make something, I make 1/2 dozen or so. Sometimes they sell...sometimes they sell like gangbusters...more frequently though, they collect dust or at least sell too slowly to invest the time. A lot of this stuff DOES have a buyer (who is typically THRILLED to buy the product) but one sale does not constitute an income stream. This would not be a project that I for one, would undertake and I've been making stuff for the hobby for 15+ years.

Yes, a tester can be put together cheaper...anyone could do it. I could do it...but I would not wish to build a cobbled-together or otherwise substandard product and offer it for sale. It's one thing to be tickled with what someone can do for themself in their own workshop and another thing to spend hard-earned bucks for something junky.

Now watch someone successfully market such a thing and prove me wrong...if so, KUDOS to them.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:36 pm

MKossor wrote:
Thoughts?, suggestions?
Sent you this via email it describes the Fun Projects Voltage regulator. https://www.cool386.com/regulator/regulator.html
As far as design...
A separate unit would easier to install at the battery or wherever. Doesn't require replacing the existing cut-out (diode or solenoid)
Less expensive to make (doesn't require a cut-out container & can use available circuit boxes), can still contain a cutout function for extra protection
Might incorporate a fuse as well since one is needed and placement is always questioned.
Voltage output variable for 6,8,12 volt battery
Mick Jagger

paddy1998

Post by paddy1998 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:40 pm

Scott_Conger wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:33 pm
Scott

in answer to your question: it is a matter of (what I view as) demand...which would be lacking.

Putting together a test stand like I posted on another thread would cost ME around $250 in materials (quality meters, enclosure, motor, coupling, wiring, bar stock). After assembly time, welding time, etc., it would be around $400. Before shipping. And, it isn't really a production-producible thing...it would take more design to be a finished product.

I think I am the King of trying to hawk something no one wants. Every time I make something, I make 1/2 dozen or so. Sometimes they sell...sometimes they sell like gangbusters...more frequently though, they collect dust or at least sell too slowly to invest the time. A lot of this stuff DOES have a buyer (who is typically THRILLED to buy the product) but one sale does not constitute an income stream. This would not be a project that I for one, would undertake and I've been making stuff for the hobby for 15+ years.

Yes, a tester can be put together cheaper...anyone could do it. I could do it...but I would not wish to build a cobbled-together or otherwise substandard product and offer it for sale. It's one thing to be tickled with what someone can do for themself in their own workshop and another thing to spend hard-earned bucks for something junky.

Now watch someone successfully market such a thing and prove me wrong...if so, KUDOS to them.
I'm a sucker for expensive tools that I'll only use once or twice. :lol:

Scott_Conger
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:58 pm

You 'n me, both, brother! :lol:
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Andy Loso
First Name: Andy
Last Name: Loso
MTFCA Number: 346
MTFCI Number: 119

Post by Andy Loso » Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:59 pm

Mike

I have one. But you'll have to add a 0 to the end of your 100 miles and probably change the 1 to a 2.

MKossor
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Kossor
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Touring
MTFCI Number: 22706

Post by MKossor » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:22 pm

Hey Andy, great news! How about meeting me half way? ;)
I-Timer + ECCT Adjusted Coils = Best Model T Engine Performance Possible!
www.modeltitimer.com www.modeltecct.com

Andy Loso
First Name: Andy
Last Name: Loso
MTFCA Number: 346
MTFCI Number: 119

Post by Andy Loso » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:40 pm

Mike,

The tester is on a stand with wheels, but I don't think they'd hold up to highway speeds....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic