Universal ball cap gasket

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Russ T Fender
First Name: Val
Last Name: Soupios
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '10 touring, '12 touring, '13 hack, '14 runabout, '14 touring, '14 speedster, '22 centerdoor, '27 touring

Universal ball cap gasket

Post by Russ T Fender » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:35 pm

I have rebuilt over a dozen rear axle/drive shafts over the years but for the life of me I can't remember if a gasket goes on both or only one side of the ball cap. Can someone refresh my recollection? Thanks.

MichaelPawelek
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Pawelek
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Touring, 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Universal ball cap gasket

Post by MichaelPawelek » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:57 pm

Welcome to my world…..😊

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:04 pm

One side only.

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:06 pm

Russ T Fender wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:35 pm
I have rebuilt over a dozen rear axle/drive shafts over the years but for the life of me I can't remember if a gasket goes on both or only one side of the ball cap. Can someone refresh my recollection? Thanks.
One Gasket goes between the hogs head & 4th main. Nothing under the driveshaft flange, maybe a little ultra black.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:19 pm

In reading past discussions
A gasket is used between the 4th main and transmission to prevent engine oil leaks.
The issue with a gasket between 4th main and ball cap flange is not recommended because it may increase the gap between the flange and ball cap causing grease leakage. But then its going to leak there anyway so where do you want it to leak? :?
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Topic author
Russ T Fender
First Name: Val
Last Name: Soupios
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '10 touring, '12 touring, '13 hack, '14 runabout, '14 touring, '14 speedster, '22 centerdoor, '27 touring

Post by Russ T Fender » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:01 pm

Thanks. That's what I thought but these days trusting my memory can be my undoing!

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:20 pm

TRDxB2 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:19 pm
In reading past discussions
A gasket is used between the 4th main and transmission to prevent engine oil leaks.
The issue with a gasket between 4th main and ball cap flange is not recommended because it may increase the gap between the flange and ball cap causing grease leakage. But then its going to leak there anyway so where do you want it to leak? :?
A second gasket grease leakage is not the issue. That flange holds in a BALL JOINT. It takes all the fore & aft movement of the drive line. It should ba as tight as possible, but free enough to move. In fact, if you bolt it up & can still bang it front & back, you should add a shim to take up the wear available from parts suppliers. Adding an extra, unneeded gasket adds 1/16" in more slop & bang.
On a related note: when you cut the drive shaft ball to clear a ball bearing 4th main, you have significantly damaged this ball joint. If you must trim it, cut @ an angle perpendicular to its position on the ground. In other words less to none from the top, most from the bottom. Not 3/4" off the whole end.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:19 pm

Gasket goes between the forth main ball cap and the pan/hogshead to prevent oil flying around inside from splashing up and leaking out. Generally no good reason for a gasket between the forth main ball cap and the torque tube ball clamp ring. The usually sloppy fit between the ball and ball cap and ring leaves it free to leak around the ball and clamp ring regardless.
However. one time, I had a ball and ball cap that were unusually tight. Bolting the ring down tight caused the torque tube ball and ball cap to bind up and not flex freely like it needs to. Two thin paper gaskets was enough to allow freedom of motion to the torque tube.
Some people like to use a gasket between the ring and ball cap, thinking it will reduce oil dripping onto the garage floor, letting the oil sit quietly in the 'sump' of the ring and ball. I find that with plenty of grease in the U-joint ball, mixing with the small amount of oil that passes through the forth main ball cap and output shaft, there is always a glob of oily grease working out between the ring and torque tube ball. It doesn't drip much, and a gasket there won't help at all.

Wrote this a couple hours ago, got interrupted again, and it failed to post. TWICE!
Oh, well.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic