Stromberg OE-1 coming back to life...s-l-o-w-l-y

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Stromberg OE-1 coming back to life...s-l-o-w-l-y

Post by Scott_Conger » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:07 pm

Not sure how I'm even going to test this when I'm done, since I don't have an engine that really can put it through its paces, but it sure is fun to figure out how the devil to get these things apart...and the OE-1 has a few chinese puzzle-box features to cypher out. Oddly enough, both ears on the float cover broke off when the rusty screws came out so there is some silver-solder work for tomorrow. In the mean time, here are the bulk of the bits, less the jets and springs and the new viton-tipped float valve that will go into it. Will make that tomorrow. It still takes a lot longer than I care to spend on a project, but some new equipment this spring should hopefully drop the cycle time into the "reasonable" range.

I'm pleased with how the various processes are maturing and coming together to make a presentable and functional product. The steel parts were really rusty and are now clean and am in the process of finding a good and reliable powder coater within a reasonable drive from me (which is why they are not pictured...they are boxed up waiting to go...well, somewhere...)

I will be winding some economizer springs in a couple of days so will have a few spares in the event that someone other than me is crazy enough to remanufacture one of these...

IMG_20211116_123306.png
IMG_20211116_123654.png
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

ModelTWoods
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Woods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan
MTFCI Number: 20180

Re: Stromberg OE-1 coming back to life...s-l-o-w-l-y

Post by ModelTWoods » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:01 pm

Stan Howe rebuilt two OE-1's for me. I installed one but just drove it at low speeds; never"aired it out", so don't know full performance of one. Stan told me that they (an OE-1) would really 'wake up' a Model T, and he wasn't talking about a highly modified one, either.

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:36 pm

Because you are old and not that fast anymore..., "Speedy".

Sorry.., it was just too tempting.

Hank

Topic author
Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:54 pm

Thanks for that Terry...perhaps it would be worth putting on my present project...we'll see!

Hank...OUCH! :lol:
Scott Conger

KWTownsend
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Townsend
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: late 1911 touring, 1915 runabout, 1919 touring, brass speedster
MTFCA Number: 14778
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16305
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by KWTownsend » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:10 pm

Scott-
I have an OE-1 that was on Yvonne's speedster when we got it. I was told that the OE-1 was on 6 cylinder Franklin or some other big car and that a Model T engine does not move enough air to mare it work properly. Many years ago I had picked up a Zenith O-4 and saw they were on teens Che^roles and offered as an extra for a Fronty. So I ran the Zenith O-4 until oil pump went out and engine was out of commission. I recently got the engine back and had heard from another guy that the OE-1 was good for a speedster. I guess I'll try both !

Terry, I miss your jokes.
Keith

Kevin Pharis
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Pharis

Post by Kevin Pharis » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:33 pm

Scott_Conger wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:07 pm
some new equipment this spring should hopefully drop the cycle time into the "reasonable" range.
New equipment...🤔 you can’t leave us on a cliff hanger like that...?!

ModelTWoods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan

Post by ModelTWoods » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:00 pm

Scott_Conger wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:54 pm
Thanks for that Terry...perhaps it would be worth putting on my present project...we'll see!

Hank...OUCH! :lol:
They, also came on Studebaker Sixes as well as Franklins. Another plus is that they bolt right up to a Model A Ford intake (if you happen to be Ol' School and using a Model A intake and exhaust manifold. The choke will require a choke cable (as all Strombergs do) and the throttle is 90 degrees off. I solved that problem by using a stainless steel Lokar hot rod throttle cable. They come in various lengths and have hardware at one end, fixed, and loose on the other end so you can shorten the cable if necessary. The shortest cable (24") worked for me The fitting on the fixed end, fastens to the T throttle arm on the lower steering shaft, like it was made for it. The cable then routes through the factory hole between cylinders 2 and 3. The fitting on the loose end, has a threaded stud with a ball on it to fasten to the throttle arm on the carburetor, and the appropriate end that snaps onto the ball installed on the throttle arm. It makes installing a non-stock carb on a T with the throttle 90 degrees off, 'child's play". Only one simple bracket to hold the stainless steel outer sleeve from moving while the inner cable moves, is necessary to make. I found a steel bracket in the woodworking section of my local hardware store to solve the problem and all I had to do was enlarge the two predrilled holes in the bracket. I mounted the bracket to a bolt that holds the water inlet to the block on the left side of the motor.

Quickm007
First Name: Mario
Last Name: Brossard
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring and 1914 speedster
MTFCA Number: 30981
MTFCI Number: 30981
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Quickm007 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:26 pm

Scott, I really hope you will be the guy after Uncle Stan lost. We need a guy like you to take over in our hobby. I do not have your talent, I just have the enthusiasm. :)
Super Mario Bross ;)

1911 Touring
1914 Speedster

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:23 pm

That would be good.
Just today, someone on the AACA was asking who to have rebuild a 1910s brass carburetor. I felt lost knowing I couldn't just send them to Stan H.

ModelTWoods

Post by ModelTWoods » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:15 pm

Forum member and contributor, Bruce Compton in Canada does a beautiful job on carburetors, too. The only minor snag for Americans is the shipping; dealing with Customs, etc.

Topic author
Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:20 pm

Tip of the day: if you find that the high-speed adjuster runs out of "richness" adjustment, then it is nearly certain that you have a version of the OE that has an optional gas reducing jet in the high-speed circuit. Some auto companies requested those to eliminate what they called "inexperienced drivers" from over-richening the carb.

That jet is located in the hole located below/left of the "OE-1" and S/N (if it was installed by the factory)

If it is installed, then the high-speed adjuster will have no effect when unscrewed to its fullest and will take a long time (a lot of screwing "in") for it to lean things out. This is because the optional jet is 2 sizes smaller than the largest adjustment that can be made by the needle...it really throttles down the fuel.
Scott Conger

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:13 am

The OF Stan rebuilt for me was a pile of parts I'd gathered over the years. I had a Studebaker branded fuel bowl cover for it, not being able to find a Stromberg one. Now I have one, I am loathe to upset Stan's work to fit it.

We have two light 6 Studebakers at the farm. Both have Detriot Lubricator carburetors, so perhaps the Strombergs were on the larger cars.

Allan from down under.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic