Replacing the Handbrake Pawl

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
PAdey
First Name: PETER
Last Name: ADEY
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout Pickup Conversion
MTFCA Number: 32198

Replacing the Handbrake Pawl

Post by PAdey » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:07 pm

My handbrake pawl has never “grabbed” the teeth of the controller quadrant. I have lived w/o a locking handbrake for 5 years. Time to fix this! The teeth on the quad are excellent but the pawl is rounded and barely touches the teeth. I have read several forum threads on replacing the pawl and all seem to lead me to “remove the whole hand brake arm and cross shaft from the car to do the work”. Sounds easy enough, but I am not clear exactly how that is done? Anyone have some photos and steps by step to go through this? I do have Rocky Mtn Breaks that may add some issues… Appreciate any advice.

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Re: Replacing the Handbrake Pawl

Post by TWrenn » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:39 pm

That entire handbrake shaft is easy to remove. Just two bolts on each frame, can't remember if there's anything else, per se, but the kit and caboodle will tell you once you start removing it. Obviously you'll disconnect the two brake rods first!! It's no problem.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:29 pm

Once the control shaft is removed don't forget to clean out and maintenance the oiler holes :o
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/82 ... 1542391088
Attachments
cntl oiler.png
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:06 pm

The equalizer of the Rocky Mountain brakes hangs loosely from the shaft of the hand brake. If you just remove the two straps and remove the pins and the shaft, you should be able to re-install the shaft without making any other brake adjustments, unless you need to adjust the brakes anyway.

After you replace the pawl, when you apply the hand brake, squeeze the lever and pull back without the pawl contacting the quadrant until you get it back all the way, then just let go of the squeeze and pull it as far as you can. Usually just one click. That will extend the life of your new pawl.
Norm

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:05 pm

You can refer easily to Ford Service, paragraph 59 to remove and paragraph 67 to install that control shaft.

control shaft.jpg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

TFan
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Riedy
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 25079
MTFCI Number: 18732
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by TFan » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:11 pm

While you have it out check the flat spring on the handbrake handle, Mine just broke the other day and it would be a lot easier to replace with the whole assembly out of the car. In other word if the pawl is worn out the spring more than likely is also. Fix it while it's easy. Jim
Back road kinda guy stuck on the freeway of life.

Topic author
PAdey
First Name: PETER
Last Name: ADEY
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout Pickup Conversion
MTFCA Number: 32198

Post by PAdey » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:23 am

Thanks all. Dan - I looked all over the darn manual for that page - One would think "handbrake" or Pawl or control quad etc would have pointed there! Anyway looks and sounds easy enough. Thanks!

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:04 am

As pointed out before in past posts there is a small felt in the 2 small oiler holes. I found that out a few years ago when reading the forum. The felts act sort as of a wick for the oil to seep into the shaft.
I’ve had a few of the handbrake assemblies out of the cars
I have worked on and thought I was cleaning out dirt or gunk out the holes which was the remains of the oiler felts!
I don’t know if any of the parts suppliers have them and lots of T’s don’t have them after a clean up the the handbrake.
It’s an overlooked item that usually doesn’t get put back in.

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:32 am

Just cut a piece off of the fuel line felt thing that goes to the carb fitting. Works just as well. Or buy any felt anywhere. No need to complicate it.

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:16 am

They dont all have felt or holes. A drop of oil on both sides of the pillow blocks will do the job.

Pep C Strebeck
First Name: Joseph
Last Name: M
MTFCA Number: 0

Post by Pep C Strebeck » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:36 pm

TRDxB2 wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:29 pm
Once the control shaft is removed don't forget to clean out and maintenance the oiler holes :o
speedytinc wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:16 am
They dont all have felt or holes. A drop of oil on both sides of the pillow blocks will do the job.
Don't get excited if they are not there, they disappeared for a short time in 1921 (4-1-21, APR 1 Acc. 575, Box 14, #832, Ford Archives
Oil holes in the frame rails for the brake lever shaft discontinued.) and were reinstated not too long after that. I could never find any reference as to when they came back, but they did. Most have them but all do not.
"Remember son, there are two ways to do this: The right way, and your way” Thanks Dad, I love you too.

LOOKING FOR A LUFKIN No. 9A Height Gage Attachment.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:04 pm

When disconnecting the brake rods, remove the cotter pins with the handle pulled back, then remove the clevis pins with it forward.

Instead of buying a new ratchet, I built the worn one up with a little bit of welding, then ground a new point on it.

If you squeeze the handle when you apply the brakes instead of dragging the ratchet along the quadrant, both ratchet and quadrant will last longer.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

It's Bill
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Hoffer
MTFCA Number: 32571
MTFCI Number: 24364
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by It's Bill » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:02 pm

Get it done! I had a collision recently because the handbrake lever slipped forward and the car went into high gear. This is dangerous, and a must do repair! No joke, Bill

Norman Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:08 pm

It's Bill wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:02 pm
Get it done! I had a collision recently because the handbrake lever slipped forward and the car went into high gear. This is dangerous, and a must do repair! No joke, Bill
This happened to our vegetable man during the 1940's. He used to go to the top of the hill, turn around and then make his stops on the way down. He was in front of our house and he had a piece of corregated cardboard on the floor board with a stick pushing the brake handle back. Now I presume the pawl and ratchet were worn out. As he was out of the truck at the time, the stick slipped and the truck went into high gear going down the hill. He went running after it and it crashed into a pole. He only came back one more time on foot to collect the money some of the neighbors owed him. Someone asked him how old he was at the time and he said 76.
Norm

John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:16 pm

Absolutely! A good pawl and quadrant is a must. Some T’s over the years have there quadrants worn almost smooth by years of people pulling the hand brake back and not pressing on the pawl release. It’s amazing at looking at the remains of T frames over the years and seeing how bad some were worn. I have 2 10 ft garage doors and when I start my T’s I always raise the doors. After all that’s holding your T back is that pawl!

ewdysar
First Name: Eric
Last Name: Dysart
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1916 Touring, 1927 Runabout

Post by ewdysar » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:16 pm

Steve Jelf wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:04 pm

If you squeeze the handle when you apply the brakes instead of dragging the ratchet along the quadrant, both ratchet and quadrant will last longer.
Always in my Ts, and my father taught me to do the same with modern cars too. Even as a teenager, I always held the button in while pulling the parking brake on in my VW Bug. I still do the same with my TDI Jetta Sportwagen. But now that I think about it, I have never held the brake release while applying the pedal-style parking brake in any of my modern (1960 through 1999) Suburbans. Funny thing, that…

Eric

Luxford
First Name: Peter
Last Name: Kable
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Town Car 1913 Speedster 1915 kampcar
MTFCA Number: 4
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Luxford » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:24 am

My Kamper has a welded pawl done by Stan Howe when I was in Montana.
When the Kamper was being restored I gave it to my welding mate who passed it onto his apprentice, he MIG welded it (poorly) . Just before I reached Montana the tip broke off where it was welded, luckily Montana is pretty flat, lots of places it could have been a big problem. It took myself and Stan about an hour to remove the whole lever mechanism weld up the pawl tip and replace it all back together. Actually longer as we did lots of chin wagging in between.

Just about a side of the road repair (except for the actual welding ) so no major fix. Good advice holding the pawl away when pulling on the brake lever.

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:52 am

After you get the old felt out, clean it out real good and flush it. Don't forget to put a new felt in too. Some years have a larger square felt.
There were two types of pawls. The early ones I think were forged. The late ones were folded somehow, and probably heat treated.

John Haynes
Last Name: Haynes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910,1911,1912,1913.1914
MTFCA Number: 27737

Post by John Haynes » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:09 pm

I want to reinforce what Bill has said about replacing the worn pawl. A friend of mine named Brian Roberts had a worn pawl on his 1923 Roadster. One of his goals for this Winter was to replace the pawl as it had slipped into gear on several occasions. Brian was scheduled to take his Model T up to the assisted living facility n Chadorn, for rides and display for the folks living there. When he did not show up they went to look for him. He was found pinned under the Model T and was not responsive and could not be revived. The corner determined that he was in front of the car cranking the car when it started , the lever slipped into high gear and crushed him between the car and the wall of the garage. This happened on October 16, 2021, he was 63. I have been told of close calls by two other Model T owners of similar events with a worn brake pawl on their Model T. It is one of the most important repairs to make and an easy one at that. Bill is correct, it is "no joke".

Norman Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:09 pm

Even if the pawl is good, it is a very smart idea to chock the front wheels when cranking the car, because they can slip when unexpected. Also pertains to parking on a hill. If there is no curb to turn the wheels, a chock should be placed in the direction the car would roll with the brake off.
Norm

John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:10 pm

To add what I posted about opening the garage door when I’m starting my T’s I always put a 2 by 4 in front of my cars when I start them to run them when I get out of the cars to warm them up or to run them a good while. The above post can happen if you take for granted the hand brake and it’s condition.
It’s sort of like working on a car when we use to use a bumper jack alone to hold up the car so you could crawl under it. We would trust the bumper jack not to fail. And I only did it a couple of times that I can remember! I guess I was young and dumb! No doubt about that.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic