Tight transmission

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
dykker5502
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Deichmann
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1921 Roadster P/U, 1922 Fordor (danish custom body)
MTFCA Number: 29116
Board Member Since: 2007

Tight transmission

Post by dykker5502 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:43 am

I am assembling my gearbox after having replaced a couple of wheels which loose a tooth and made my roadster pick-up to a high gear only car.
Now when I managed to catch the 3 pins in the flywheel the transmission is somewhat tight. I can move the drums by hand but not freely.
I believe there is only one way the three triple gears and the center gear can mesh and sit on the triple gear at the same time. All other combinations and the triple gears won't catch the pins. There is no "almost right" just one tooth off - or is there?

I recon that it is only in low and reverse the gears are working and I am to some extend where I just assemble the clutch and the rest of the transmission (bottom and hogshead, bands and what have you), drop it in the car and fire it up and take it from there.

However - if it stresses the teeth on the gears so one break again, well - that's not what I want.

I must say that the triple gears and center gear is from another transmission - I believe, but I MAY have mixed them up so that they may not have run together, but shouldn't they in principle be interchangable?

What do you think?
Ford_T_Pick_up.jpg
Ford Model T 1914 Touring
Ford Model T 1921 Roadster Pick-up
Ford Model T 1922 Fordor (danish build body)
ECCT, Strobospark, HCCT(Sold), Rebuilding coils

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Re: Tight transmission

Post by speedytinc » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:02 am

The translation is horrible, but ill take a shot.
Parts are interchangeable. Mixed will be noisier for a while.
Tripple gears are marked for proper orientation on each gear. Proper bushing clearance & center bored?
Every thing should rotate freely.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:18 am

The triple gears have to be equally spaced 120 degrees apart or in other words 9 teeth between each other. That’s the instruction in the Ford service manual. You can set the first gear anywhere BUT the other two HAVE to be spaced 9 teeth apart using the punch marks as a guide.

When replacing the same parts from other transmissions it can be noisy but work. You mentioned that your transmission had some gears with broken teeth and you replaced them with good gears.
Did you previously assemble the transmission and and it eventually had to be repaired again?

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:30 am

I would not mix used gears or new and used gears.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:35 am

Michael

the answer to your specific question is: each triple gear has a mark, or "U" which is the specific mesh required to the drum assembly. There are actually 3 locations on each triple gear which would be a non-binding mesh, but only one of those locations is marked by FORD. See Ken's picture here: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/11 ... 1285802179

Each of the 3 triple gears must be thus matched to the drum assembly, wired up tight and then lowered over the flywheel pins. Any other combination of tooth spacing will be "almost right" but will destroy the transmission.

So, try again!

Good luck
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
dykker5502
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Deichmann
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1921 Roadster P/U, 1922 Fordor (danish custom body)
MTFCA Number: 29116
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by dykker5502 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:16 pm

speedytinc wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:02 am
OK, I use to be told I write a fairly good english, but it is not my native language, John. :-)

Thanks guys! I have assembled a transmission a couple of times before and thought I did it right, but I must take it apart again and try once more.
I do not care that much if low or reverse is a little noisy and buying new gears is just not an economic option now as a retiree.

Thanks again!
Ford Model T 1914 Touring
Ford Model T 1921 Roadster Pick-up
Ford Model T 1922 Fordor (danish build body)
ECCT, Strobospark, HCCT(Sold), Rebuilding coils

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23

Post by Scott_Conger » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:21 pm

Michael

your English is fine, and easily followed particularly when considered in context of the subject asked about.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:24 pm

dykker5502 wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:16 pm
speedytinc wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:02 am
OK, I use to be told I write a fairly good english, but it is not my native language, John. :-)

Thanks guys! I have assembled a transmission a couple of times before and thought I did it right, but I must take it apart again and try once more.
I do not care that much if low or reverse is a little noisy and buying new gears is just not an economic option now as a retiree.

Thanks again!
If my answers made scene, then its good enough. My danish is non existent. Must be me. I need subtitles to understand "english" movies.
The more you drive it, the quieter it will get. Good luck.

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Post by Kerry » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:33 pm

I tried on purpose several years ago to fit the trans to the fly wheel with a triple gear out one tooth, I found it was impossible.

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:02 pm

It's very possible - BTDT !

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:27 pm

I wasn’t going to mention that earlier but I did that several years ago. Don’t ask me how I did it but after two tries I finally used a piece of Venetian blind cord to help hold the gears close together. First two times it didn’t seem quite right but was together.
The third time did the trick as the drums spun good. The last transmission I did the first try without any type of cord and it worked fine. Go figure?? I have always used good parts when necessary. Nothing new. I guess it’s the small differences in mixed parts and worn tolerances.
I’ve put some together that were quieter than others like most of us has when using used parts.

nsbrassnut
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Lee

Post by nsbrassnut » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:43 pm

Hi All

I recently ended up helping another T owner with a similar problem Freshly re-assembled engine and transmission. He installed the assembly and had no neutral and appeared to be stuck in high gear. With the transmission inspection cover off, the clutch fingers appeared to have too much play too. The engine could not be turned or cranked with the starter unless one rear wheel was jacked up. The transmission was locked in high.

Anyway, we took the engine out and pulled the transmission and dug out the MTFCA transmission overhaul book and pulled it apart. It was a transmission assembled from parts from 2 or more transmissions during the rebuild after experiencing a major transmission failure, broken magnets, teeth off the slow speed drum gear and teeth broken off the triple gears and a damaged magneto coil ring a few weeks earlier.

When I did my transmission a few years ago I was following the book guidelines and found that you have to follow them closely, but also be open to interpreting what is more important when two instructions result in conflicting results.

The manual says to install the three thrust washers below the clutch drum. It also says that you should have .015 to .027 inches free play between the clutch drum and the washers. The amount of free play is best checked with a dial gauge mounted on the brake drum with the pointer on the inner clutch drum, then lift the brake drum on the shaft and see what the free play is (transmission and engine are vertical here). Sometimes when mixing and matching parts, three thrust washers can end up being too thick and there may be little or no free play for brake drum to move. You can sometimes also get an idea of free play if the bands are all loose (or off) and then try to slide the brake drum back and forth on the transmission shaft.

If it won’t slide or move, then you will also likely need to pull it back out and reassemble the transmission.

After reviewing the transmission sectional drawings and how it works, I decided it was more important to have the right end float for the brake drum than whether or not there were three thrust washers in place. So, I ended up with two thrust washers and the right amount of end play and mine worked fine.

We found no end play in my friends’ transmission. After several checks, we removed one thrust washer, left two and could get the required end float for the brake drum. The washers we took out looked burned and scraped too.

I also found that the three push pins on the clutch pressure ring looked short and did not appear to be sticking up in the end plate holes. They were down near the bottom of the guide holes. We compared them to a couple other lying around and found that the pins were nearly 1/16” short. So, we also changed the clutch pressure ring and with the replacement ones the pins stuck up into the guide holes and were nearly flush with the top of the plate. If the pins don’t stick up enough, the clutch pressure ring could turn and jam between the end cover and the clutch discs locking it in high gear.

Another potential issue with the earlier transmissions which used the brass combination bushing and thrush washer is that the first clutch plate must be the special thicker distance plate. Regular plates are too thin and can turn and jam under the clutch drum. I believe this only applies to those before about 1916(?).

And follow the manual instructions for stacking the clutch plates, there is a particulate order of which one to start with.

My friend’s re-assembled transmission has since been installed in his car and he can now turn the engine over freely in neutral, it cranks easier and so far, now has both low and high gear again. Unfortunately, the snow started today so it hasn’t had a full road test yet.

Anyway, some suggestions on what to look for with your T.

Good Luck

Jeff
Nova Scotia
Canada

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Post by Kerry » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:15 pm

Come across it several times on why a transmission did not have all 3 thrust washers in place, all times it was the front bush not pressed in far enough and riding on the taper of the drive shaft at the fly wheel end.

nsbrassnut
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Lee

Post by nsbrassnut » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:48 pm

Hi Kerry

Good point and worth checking also. But I do think in our cases we did have the bushings all the way in. Mixing and matching parts from different years and batches doesn't help either.

In the case of my friend's transmission, these weren't the first washers with signs of overheating to come out of it either. For various reasons, his has been in and out at least 3 time since the original restoration. Its been a frustrating car for him.

Jeff
Nova Scotia

TonyB
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Bowker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring
MTFCA Number: 32
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by TonyB » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:11 am

At what point during the assembly does it get tight to turn?
I assume you are using the original pins and used gear and bushings the face of the bushing touches the flywheel. There should be about 0.006” clearance between the gear and the flywheel.
I assemble the drums on a flat surface, then put the triple gears and driven gears with the “U” meshing. I wire the assembly tight and then lower the flywheel onto the gears. It usually goes second or third try. Now turn the whole thing over and the drums should rotate fairly freely. If not you messed up somewhere.
The next possible catch is the thick big disk on early brake drums where the splines don’t go all the way to the bottom of the drum.
One othe problem could be the push pins on the clutch push ring are not in the holes when you install the backplate. Again until the spring applies pressure you should be able to rotate the drums with the clutch plates installed. It’s not easy but it should rotate. Once the 13/16” is set, it’s all fairly solid.
Tony Bowker
La Mesa, California
1914 Touring, 1915 Speedster, 1924 Coupe.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic