Chico Fire Marshall Ray Head's 1909 Roadster

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
aajf
First Name: Andrew
Last Name: Fuller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917, 1922

Chico Fire Marshall Ray Head's 1909 Roadster

Post by aajf » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:31 pm

Hello All,

I am happy to be a new member to this site. Curious to see if anyone may have ANY information about the history of my friend's car. In 1970, my 86yr old friend purchased this 1909 Model T roadster with mother in law seat from the widow of Chico Fire Marshall Mr. Ray Head. Ray Head passed away in 1970 due to complications from a building fire. To this day the legacy of Ray Head is well know in the Chico area. Ray Head purchased the 1909 Model in 1964 from a man Frank W. Boyle who purchased the car for his honeymoon in 1920. In 1964 Frank Boyle's garage caught on fire and the poor little Model T was lightly scorched (see pic). Ray Head bought the Model T and restored of the period of 2.5yrs. The beautiful current paint on the car was done by Ray Head in the original French Gray with black trim. The car won 1st at the 1967 Golden Gate Concours D'Elegance (see pic), 2nd at the 1967 El Macero Concours and 17 other 1st place trophy's between 1967 and 1969. I know Ray Head was a member of The Model T Ford Club of America, The North Valley Unique Car Club and the Horseless Carriage Club of America. If ANYONE has any info or pictures of this car I would love to be able to show my friend. I REALLY appreciate all help. Sincerely, Andrew Fuller
P.S. I would love to find then needle in a haystack California Horseless Carriage License plate # 3124 seen in the photos
Attachments
Presidio.JPG
Fire.JPG
Fire.JPG (21.1 KiB) Viewed 1193 times
RayHead1909.PNG

W Austen
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Austen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915

Re: Chico Fire Marshall Ray Head's 1909 Roadster

Post by W Austen » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:03 pm

Back in the late 60s A concours was started at Peacock Gap in Marin County. At this time concours were a fairly new idea around here and the rules were quite different than now. Ray's car was one of the three cars that were entered in the Model T Ford class, Rays 09, a black cut off touring, and another black T that I don't even remember. Ray was a great guy and he told me about how he restored the car, and that the only real noticeable thing about the restoration were the dents in the radiator - Ray said he preferred the original usable radiator that was part of the car to a reproduction - we applauded that. His car was so far above the other entrants that we gave him the first prize. I was really upset when I saw the news about his accident, and felt so sorry for his lovely wife.. Have thought about the car over the years and wondered what happened to it - Glad it has a new loving home. I was the head judge of the Model T class, and the one that awarded Ray the first prize.
Bill Austen

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic