Any issues mounting 26/27 roadster body on 20 frame?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
signsup
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Brough
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 War Wagon 1927 Depot Hack 1927 TT
MTFCA Number: 31990
MTFCI Number: 31990
Board Member Since: 2015

Any issues mounting 26/27 roadster body on 20 frame?

Post by signsup » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:27 am

Thought I was headed down the speedster route, but commander has issued new marching orders. I've got an opportunity of a complete 26/27 roadster body and all sheet metal, radiator, cowl, headlights, etc., but have 1920 rolling chassis that is a family project and needs to get used. I can deal with minor issues like running board brackets, splash apron mounts, etc., but are there any "hidden" issues that will give me grief putting this body and parts on this rolling chassis? I know it will end up being Model T salad, but it's the body that fits the vision. No luck finding earlier roadster body already restored.

Any thoughts appreciated other than those trying to question the why. Ours is but to do or die.
Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?

A bunch of old cars
Sometimes they run.
Sometimes, they don't.

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Re: Any issues mounting 26/27 roadster body on 20 frame?

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:48 am

The late front crossmember has different mounts for the front fender braces and the rear crossmember is different. I believe the rear crossmember on the late frame is wider, and both crossmembers may have less drop in the center. Wheelbase is the same. I'd guess that the various body mount holes are different, especially around the cowl area and the rear crossmember. The steering column angle may be different. If you mix and match pitman arms, drag links, steering brackets, etc, proceed with caution. As I understand it, there are several possible combinations that will work, but not work right.

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:25 am

You would be well served to find a late frame. That would be easier than adapting.
Frames arent that expensive.

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:30 am

Will not work, and not worth the effort to try to make it work. It will be a never ending snowballing of misalignments and modifications.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:47 am

Given you have marching orders... The question is then how much of your speedster project can you use on a '26 Roadster just to be in the correctness ball-park (initially). Getting a '26 frame wouldn't be to hard, transportation being the only issue. Then the question is what else do have that you can use for the build. Large drum rear axle, steering column, starter engine etc to be in the ball-park and avoid a court-martial and/or involuntary discharge.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:14 am

Depends on what use the car and body will be. Just the body on the chassis and used as a speedster, you could probably do it, however if you want the fenders, the running boards, the splash aprons etc, you would be better off finding a 26-27 chassis. You should be able to find one, maybe even someone in your local club has one or you can find one at a swap meet. You will also need the proper steering column and bracket which attaches to the frame. The base is different where it mounts to the firewall and also bracket at frame is a different angle and pitman arm is different. You could very likely sell the existing parts and come out about even moneywise.
Norm

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:24 am

I'd make every effort to locate a '26-'27 running gear, with a late '27 being preferred. That way, you'll have a better-performing, more original car and a good earlier running gear for use, sale, or trade. The time, effort, and cash saved by not doing extensive modification and parts chasing to the earlier frame and to the late body could be spent gathering parts for another T on the earlier chassis. The speedster option would thus remain open. You never know what will turn up, or when, or where, when looking for T parts. As far as I know, the earlier engine and transmission will fit the late frame with no issues, but a late type coil box would probably be the best way to go.

Topic author
signsup
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 War Wagon 1927 Depot Hack 1927 TT

Post by signsup » Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:55 pm

So, here's the back story. My wife's father, now deceased, had started a Model T restoration and got as far as the rolling chassis. Rebuilt the engine, new bands on trans, all axles gone through, restored wooden spoke wheels, new tires, etc. But the roadster body panels he collected are all mix and match and really far gone for my welding and fabrication abilities. We want to complete the restoration and do so in a way that will honor her father's work back in the '70's. So getting a new frame, engine, wheels, etc., might be the logical way to go, but I'm kinda "stuck" with the 1920 rolling chassis and now have to find a roadster body that will work. I do not have a problem buying a restored complete car, put the restored roadster body on the family chassis and make us happy. And, I'd have a "new" rolling chassis to do a speedster or any other vehicle I want on the "new" rolling chassis.

I'm seeing complete speedster body kits in the $5k range, but the only roadster complete body kits I'm seeing are fibreglass T bucket stuff, which ain't gonna cut the mustard. I had found a26 roadster complete, but it sounds like putting that body on my chassis is not a good way to go. So, I guess I just keep my eyes open for a affordable, restored roadster earlier than 26 to work on my 20 chassis.

Again, any direction now knowing my restrictions is greatly appreciated.

A bunch of old cars
Sometimes they run.
Sometimes, they don't.

Topic author
signsup

Post by signsup » Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:00 pm

This is what I have to work with. Engine runs great and trans works well. It's all sheet metal and upholstery from here...
arrival 1.JPG
arrival 2.JPG
arrival 3.JPG
arrival 4.JPG

A bunch of old cars
Sometimes they run.
Sometimes, they don't.

Sarikatime
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Seress
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Towncar, 1915 Touring
MTFCA Number: 27707

Post by Sarikatime » Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:32 pm

The whole car looks like things line up pretty good, so, put on the splash aprons and consider a wood pickup bed instead of a turtledeck, paint it and enjoy what you have. I painted mine with a brush and a small short haired roller, or have it painted. Most onlookers haven’t the foggiest idea what you have, if it is the right conglomerate of parts or even the year. It is your baby and do what you want with it, as long as you enjoy it and the wife is happy.
Just my thoughts. Frank

Norman Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:45 pm

Looks good to me. Your first description I thought you only had the chassis. I think you can restore what you have and add a few missing parts, if you don't have them stashed away. Even if it is not exactly correct, it would be more correct than using the earlier chassis and running gear with a newer body which does not fit. And if you have already bought the later body, can probably sell it to make up for the additional parts you need to purchase.
Norm

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:08 pm

That body doesn't look bad in the pictures. Hoods other parts are available new in sheet metal.

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:04 pm

Robert I have still a few 1926/27 nice frames left. I am up on the west side of Chattanooga. But it sure does not not look like a 26/27 roadster from the photos.

Hank

Topic author
signsup

Post by signsup » Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:20 pm

Hank, I may just have to come up and see you one day and discuss what I got and what you got. It is NOT a 26/27 roadster that I have. It is a 1920 frame and motor. I believe the body parts to be around 1920 as well. It's all the little things that I don't have and don't know I do'tt have them like seat frame, riser, top bows, etc. There is a turtle deck, but I do not think it is correct for the frame/body I have. I may just throw all these loose parts in my pick up and drive up and stock up. I've done a 1915 light express, but I built most of the body out of wood. I've got a Depot Hack in the shop, again, wood. It's the bit of tin and bit of board and upholstery that is causing me concern.

A bunch of old cars
Sometimes they run.
Sometimes, they don't.

Norman Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:36 pm

Another thing about a 26-27. They have a unique gas tank which is hard to find a good one. The y haven't been reproducing them for those years, however New ones have been available from the vendors for the round and oval tanks. If not, they are much easier to build than the 26-27. Your other parts look correct and the seat springs and seat back is available from vendors as well as wood kits unless you are good at wood working, you could make your own. Most important thing about the earlier bodies is to have good wood, because the sheet metal is tacked onto the wood frame and good wood cut and fitted correctly supports everything.
Norm

J1MGOLDEN
First Name: James
Last Name: Golden
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Model T Roadster
MTFCA Number: 14294
MTFCI Number: 13562

Post by J1MGOLDEN » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:16 pm

One of our club members has a 1921 body on a 1926 frame, engine, transmission, rear axle, wheels, steering column, front axle.

That appeared to go together OK!

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:28 am

The '26-'27 "improved cars" are quite different from the earlier ones, and there are differences in 1926 and 1927 cars. An early production"1926" frame may be like the earlier frames.

Topic author
signsup

Post by signsup » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:53 am

Thanks for all the replys. It sounds like putting 26/27 body sheet metal on a 20 frame might be possible, but would take some tweeking and modifications to sheet metal and/or frame. Commander has now indicated that she wants to keep this 20 rolling chassis with drivetrain a roadster. So, no looking for 17/23 roadster sheet metal. I know I need a good wood kit and I'm looking at the Ford Wood site. I've got original sheet metal that is pretty rough, but might be salvageable once I get a wood frame to attach to. Then it will be the upholstery and top bows and top that will be something beyond my capabilities.
Military vehicles are so much easier to work with...flat paint and canvas seats and tops.

A bunch of old cars
Sometimes they run.
Sometimes, they don't.

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:12 am

I believe you'd wind up going to a great deal of trouble and some expense to wind up with a modded-up body and chassis. I'd use the '20-ish body and the chassis you have. Since you've built a wood body, I'd think you'd be equipped and able to deal with re-wooding the 20-ish roadster body. With all that said, it seems to have become a trueism that it's cheaper to buy an antique car that is already in good shape than it is to build one up, but having built a car, you'll know what you have and you'll have what you want, and you won't spend time and effort degrading the value of the chassis you have and the late sheet metal you have.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic