1926 Touring Wood Body Blocks (3600A) dimensions/diagram and adjustment

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Matt in California
First Name: Matt
Last Name: G
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring, 1926 Fordor Project, TT C-cab flatbed farm field find, TT dump truck project
MTFCA Number: 30697

1926 Touring Wood Body Blocks (3600A) dimensions/diagram and adjustment

Post by Matt in California » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:13 pm

Hello,
Over 10 years ago when I first put together my 1926 touring I used a stack of washers rather than body blocks and I spent lots of time adjusting the height of each stack to get the doors to open without problems. The washers worked, but I am wanting to use the wood body blocks. My issue may be that my body has had a lot of life, but I wanted to hear what others have experienced. I have a few questions:
  • Does anyone have a diagram or dimensions for the blocks? They don't cost that much, but I have hardwood and it isn't much more than a piece of wood with a couple holes in it.
  • Is there a trick/method of setting up the blocks and adjusting the space?
The only related info I found was for coupes. I found this:
http://www.antiqueautoranch.com/montana ... yBlock.htm
I look forward to hearing peoples advice for 1926 tourings.

Thanks!
Matt

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Re: 1926 Touring Wood Body Blocks (3600A) dimensions/diagram and adjustment

Post by DanTreace » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:36 pm

Does anyone have a diagram or dimensions for the blocks?

The last paragraph of the link you posted for install instructions and the diagrams states all the dimensions for the blocks. Or buy a set from the vendors.

Really no tricks needed, easy to place once you lift the body. Some are fastened in place the larger use just the body to frame bolts. Advantage of the wood blocks is they are also used to hold the wood screws with fender washers to lock the splash shields in place to prevent sheet metal rattles too.
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Topic author
Matt in California
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring, 1926 Fordor Project, TT C-cab flatbed farm field find, TT dump truck project

Post by Matt in California » Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:41 am

Dan,
Thanks for your response. I am glade to get at least one response, but I still have questions.

Looking at the link I posted, it seems to be just discussing a Coupe and Roadster. I am asking about my Touring - blocks A & B I believe. I am trying to figure out the dimensions for that. Yes, there is a mention of 7.5 inches, but that leaves out a lot of details. Most important for me would be the thickness or distance from frame to bottom of body.

Second, If what you are saying is correct. Then one just has to put the block in and there is no need for shimming. In my situation I don't believe that will work. I would not be surprised if there are issues with my body as the back side was not original. But even with the back side removed the first two blocks seem to have to be different sizes.

Looking forward to your response.

Matt
Last edited by Matt in California on Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:05 am

Matt

You are correct, the Touring wood block set is the A and B in that sketch. Here is photo from Lang's catalog, (cat. # 3600A) used a similar set of these pre- made pieces on my touring, but don't remember the supplier as my parts were rather plain blocks without the reduced section on thickness. Believe the reason for that end is to clear rivets on the main channel? But don't recall as I did this work in 2003!
IMG_0023.jpg
Main body blocks, these fit into the main cross channels of the touring subframe. Rough dimensions 1 1/4" thick, 2 7/8" wide and 7 1/2" length.
main body block.jpg
Note the screw for holding the rattles of the splash shield, place that into the wood block.

Rear block, fits up inside the rear subframe rail. Rough dimensions 1" thick, 2 7/8" wide, 5" length
rear body block.jpg

Front block, while not shown in the Langs catalog pic, my set had these, one on each cowl lower, that block is only there to secure the front end of the splash shield, otherwise it will droop at the fender junction, and make rattles too!
front cowl wood for splash shield.jpg
Held in place with a wood screw I remember.

Road grime under there as this is our main tour car, topside is kept decent, underside get no care :?
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Topic author
Matt in California

Post by Matt in California » Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:33 am

Dan,
I can’t say how helpful your photos and descriptions are! Thanks so much.

I have a couple more questions and observations:
1. Should there be any spacer where the front bolt connects (see red arrow):
22F23C52-7256-46E4-96C9-EA9A3F473757.jpeg
2. Back to my original question. Are spacers used in addition to blocks. It seems like you have one here (indicated by green arrow):
D40C669D-E6E9-40BE-876A-833607B724B6.jpeg
3. I need to measure my washer stacks, but some reason it looks like my frame is much different than original. I might just make custom blocks based on what is working. But I am trying to figure out if I am missing something.

Thanks!

Matt

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:39 am

1) The front connections do not use a spacer.
2) The wood blocks are used to mount the body without any additional spacers.

If you have a bent frame, or a crooked body, you may not get things to line up. If you need to use additional spacers one or both of those problems may exist.

Topic author
Matt in California

Post by Matt in California » Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:36 pm

Thanks Jeff!
I imagine that you are correct that the frame/body is bent.

Here are the height measurements I found:
T3600A Left Front 1-1/2”
T3600A Left Middle 1”
T3600A-B Left Back 3-1/2+”
T3600A Right Front 1-3/8”
T3600A Right Middle-1-3/16”
T3600A-B Right Back 3-1/2+”

Note the center on both sides is lower forcing the frame to bend.

Now I will need to make my custom blocks.

Matt

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic