Buttons on upholstery

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Bobbbenner
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Benner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT 1924, touring 22
MTFCA Number: 52622

Buttons on upholstery

Post by Bobbbenner » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:27 am

Last week I heard of a 22 Touring T that was languishing in a shed waiting to be enjoyed again. Within a week it now resides at our farm near a TT that is now being set up for an Electric Light Parade run locally next week. (More on that later)

We had warm weather yesterday so I pulled out the car from its shed, (It has not been started yet, the engine turns with the crank but with effort so we are waiting to figure out what needs to be done to start her up), and brought it home.

We are impressed with how the ugly ducking transformed into a swan after we washed it down and worked on the upholstery. It was warm enough to put up the top and were happy to see that it had no rips, although some of the side liner was in tatters. Also the three 'lights' are yellowed and need to be replaced? Lots of questions as we move along. Will add pics when I get to my office.

It seems the radiator is shot so I'm looking for a 'short' radiator for it. New one's are expensive so if you know of a used one in good shape … I know buy a new one, $900 is pretty steep so if there is one out there just waiting to be used, let me know please.

I have added two pics, one in the shed, flat tires and all, and one of the front seat with rusty buttons. Has anyone encountered this and if so how did you sand/wire brush the tops, then repaint them? I’m thinking of using a spoon, perhaps modified to get under the buttons, dremmel wire brush then paint?

Any other ways? The pleather has surprisingly come back to life after washing with soap and water then lightly rubbing in mineral oil/baby oil. I want to refurbish the buttons before I put any reconditioner on them so the paint sticks.

Sorry for the lengthy post but I must thank Tom Pilz, a member of this group who has patiently worked with me to work up my TT. I joined this group and asked for a mentor and found a friend. Thanks MTFCA and especially thanks to Tom.

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Re: Buttons on upholstery

Post by Oldav8tor » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:53 am

Welcome! Nice to see another T being resurrected. You will find personal ingenuity plays a big role in restoring and maintaining a Model T.

A comment on the radiator. Originals are "round tube" and even in good condition, will not cool as well as a modern "flat tube." Will a round tube work for you? Maybe... if you want to permanently deal with cooling problems a flat tube radiator is a good investment.

I chose to install a flat tube Bergs radiator in my 1917 Touring. I removed the existing water pump when I installed it. Driving tours in hilly country, 90°+ temps, with four people aboard, my car never got close to overheating.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:53 am

My recommendation is to tread softly regarding the upholstery. To replace the plastic windows in the rear curtain with the same methods and materials used by Ford will require removing the top which would be destructive. Leaving it alone is always a good choice. Another method would be to do what owners did 100 years ago and cut out the plastic windows and install an after market metal frame that holds glass. The metal frames are all over ebay and come in shapes and sizes to match the original plastic window(s). Regarding the seat buttons, I would let that sleeping dog lie, as a rusty button is better than a missing button and a missing button is better than a torn seat. Painting over rust is temporary, and cleaning the button to properly paint could be destructive to the upholstery around it or even break the button off.

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:05 pm

As mentioned above Ford upholstery buttons are painted, not covered with upholstery material.

Gonenorth
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Whelihan
MTFCA Number: 30688
Board Member Since: 2008

Post by Gonenorth » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:14 pm

If you want some nice upholstery buttons that are correct (ie; painted), contact Mike at Classtique. I replaced all my covered buttons with his painted ones. Really pretty inexpensive and correct looking.

John Codman
First Name: John
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:25 am

I agree with oldav8tor. Ask yourself why anyone would remove/sell a good model T radiator? Any used radiator that you purchase has been removed for a reason. I'll bet you can figure out what that reason is.

jab35
First Name: James
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by jab35 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:04 pm

What Tim and John say regarding 'used' radiators is true for other parts as well. There have been many posts over the years regarding 50 cent flea market bargain spark plugs that didn't spark. Model T owners historically were frugal and if they replaced a part chances are good that the part wasn't (and isn't). ymmv, jb

Erik Johnson
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Johnson

Post by Erik Johnson » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:45 pm

NEVER put anything on upholstery that will get on your clothes.

If you put mineral oil or baby oil on the upholstery it may look nice but, when you sit on the upholstery, it will most likely transfer onto your clothing. Then, it will transfer from your clothing to anything and everything that you sit on, such as the furniture in your house.

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:00 pm

I would try a silicon spatula. Cut a grove in it to slide under the button. You need to clean off the mineral oil before you take a Dremel to the button. Recommend you use leather conditioner instead of mineral oil.

Erik Johnson
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Johnson

Post by Erik Johnson » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:40 am

I wouldn't use leather conditioner on 1922 Model T open car upholstery.

For one thing, it isn't actually leather.

Any goo, goop, salve or ointment you put on factory leatherette will just seep into the cotton backing.

My opinion is that cleaning the leatherette with a rag and soapy water should suffice.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic