1913 Touring on e-bay

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Jugster
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Coiro
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring
Board Member Since: 2009

1913 Touring on e-bay

Post by Jugster » Sat May 11, 2019 10:37 am

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Re: 1913 Touring on e-bay

Post by DanTreace » Sat May 11, 2019 11:07 am

That's a '13, with the factory defect body too.

Really like the former owner's fix for the splayed out rear wood frame, rods and a turnbuckle running across the inside of the tonneau in front of the rear heel panel :lol: Guess instead of a robe rail, that turnbuckle rod might be a sock rail?
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat May 11, 2019 1:10 pm

If you really WANT to sell a car, this guy just gave the definitive tutorial. Tons of pictures, many videos.

Sure beats the pants off of: "Great T for sale. Ask me for pictures and I may send some blurry ones from my phone, or not"
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

HaroldRJr
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: several

Post by HaroldRJr » Sat May 11, 2019 2:36 pm

WOW! What a neat car! And as Dan T. mentioned, probably the best written and photographic presentation of a car for sale that I've ever seen!

A couple questions:

The "U"-shaped sheet metal pieces, one each, located near the bottom of the rear doors inside, and screwed to both sides of each door frame, and screwed to the body frame or maybe better described as what would be the "threshold" area if it was a house door instead of a Model T car door;....are those two sheet metal parts the official "Ford Factory Fix" for the weak touring body that was unique to the "13 touring car? Anybody,..???

Also, a couple of the excellent photos show an odd shaped rod (appears to be a casting) laying on the back seat floor boards, next to the tire pump,...??? Looks familiar to me like I've seen one before someplace, but can't place what that is,...???

Anybody care to 'splain,...???

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat May 11, 2019 3:41 pm

The "fix" is a pretty heavy plate that is either cast or forged (I'd go with forged) and bolts through the body, leaving a carriage bolt-style head on the outside of the body. I own a '13 and it is flexible, to say the least. Structurally it is "all there" but with more than one person in the back, turning from one crowned brick residential street to another, makes the car feel like it is slithering over the surface and often results in a self-opening door. I do not drive it on our rock roads now that we're in WY...if it gets out, it's trailered. Too much nice stuff to try to keep clean on anything but paved roads...my other cars...well, that's another story. This is our '15 on it's first spin around the "neighborhood"
IMG_20180806_100855998.gif
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Sat May 11, 2019 5:23 pm

HaroldRJr wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 2:36 pm

Also, a couple of the excellent photos show an odd shaped rod (appears to be a casting) laying on the back seat floor boards, next to the tire pump,...??? Looks familiar to me like I've seen one before someplace, but can't place what that is,...???

Anybody care to 'splain,...???
That is a clincher tire plow tool, acts like a 'third hand' for you to change the tube easy with tire on the clincher rim, prior to demountable rims.

Tire tool.jpg

IMG_0692 (640x334).jpg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

HaroldRJr
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: several

Post by HaroldRJr » Sun May 12, 2019 3:21 am

Thank you Scott and Dan! Always more to learn, right? Pretty "neat" that just about anything you want to know about a Model T, all you have to do is ask on the forum and invariably, somebody knows!

I was always under the impression that that added reinforcement for the '13 touring body was some sort of plate that bolted on underneath,....thanks again Scott.

And Dan, I thought I was pretty familiar with most of the aftermarket accessories, but that's sure a new one to me! If it really does what that advertisement claims, I'd sure like to watch somebody use one! Sure does sound pretty "slick", and a lot better (and safer) than tire irons! Thanks Dan,.....harold

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic