Texas Inspector Threw the Book At Me.

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
ivaldes1
First Name: Ignacio
Last Name: Valdes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50406
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by ivaldes1 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:11 am

So I went to get the wedding car, formerly "Hay Wagon To Speedster Project" viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24649&p=189188&hili ... er#p189188 inspected. The inspector had passed my Touring many times in the past but this time he snarled at me and showed me this: https://texreg.sos.state.tx.us/fids/201500455-1.pdf page 1. He refused to pass me this time. He also informed me that he would not be passing my Touring in the future and would be going by page 1. The following items I do not have:

2. Windshield Wipers
3. Mirror
5. Seat Belts
12. Tail Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
13. Stop Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
15. Rear Red Reflectors (2)

Windshield wiper clamp: https://www.modeltford.com/item/7802.aspx
Windshield wiper: https://www.modeltford.com/item/7801LSS.aspx
Mirror: Plenty of choices on Lang's.
Seat Belts: Aftermarket at FLAPS?
This seems like an ok brake light switch: https://www.modeltford.com/item/3158RS.aspx so I only need 1 tail or stop lamp.
Reflectors https://www.modeltford.com/item/A-REFLECT.aspx

A Whiteman
First Name: Adrian
Last Name: Whiteman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT, 1924 Colonial Roadster, 1924 'Bullnose' Morris, 1925 'Bullnose' Morris, 1936 JD AR

Re: Texas Inspector Threw the Book At Me.

Post by A Whiteman » Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:27 am

Whew, could have been worse.
In New Zealand we need 3 and 15 only from your list (at least for the time being.....)

david_dewey
First Name: David
Last Name: Dewey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1925 runaboaut, 1926 Tudor
MTFCI Number: 19936
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by david_dewey » Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:23 am

That's an interesting set of instructions. From reading them NO Model T can pass,
First the brake requirement:
20.2Brakes. Every passenger car, truck, bus, school bus, and motorcycle shall be equipped with brakes acting on all wheels except: (the exceptions do not include antique cars, the model T isn't the only one with two-wheel brakes only. ) And it goes on to describe testing the stopping distance, I don't believe any Model T can pass that part (well maybe the disk brake converted ones)
While vehicle is stopped, inspector should be able to apply a moderate foot force (40-60 pounds in nonpowered systems and 15-20pounds in power assisted systems).
And then there's the engine number, VIN number chassis number issue, but the instructions note this!(I put the important part in bold);
20.30Vehicle Identification Number, Motor, or Serial Number. Make an actual physical check of the motor block, frame, or body part where such number is located and record same on the inspection station report. If the vehicle has no such number, type " NONE" in[write on the inspection certificate and on] the inspection [station] report. If such number is obscured, "OBS" should be entered. The entire vehicle identification number must be used. Do not reject a vehicle because it has no vehicle identification number or motor or serial number
I think every Texas antique car owner needs to lobby their state representative to have these instructions modified to allow antique cars such as ours to be able to pass them--and BTW, Seat Belts are not always a good idea in a T--for one thing there seldom is a good place to fasten them!
T'ake care,
David Dewey

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Post by Kerry » Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:58 am

Lucky at my end of the world, my home state only needs the cars to comply with the date of manufacture.

Professor Fate
First Name: Dan
Last Name: S
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 and '26
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Professor Fate » Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:58 am

Massachusetts is awful too.... for all cars. The state revised the law a few years ago. Another bad thing about MA. We'll be moving south in 3-5 years. Can't wait.
Law gives too much power to inspectors.
We search for a good shop to use. Some drive long distances to get a sticker.

ModelTWoods
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Woods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan
MTFCI Number: 20180

Post by ModelTWoods » Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:47 am

ivaldes1 wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:11 am
So I went to get the wedding car, formerly "Hay Wagon To Speedster Project" viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24649&p=189188&hili ... er#p189188 inspected. The inspector had passed my Touring many times in the past but this time he snarled at me and showed me this: https://texreg.sos.state.tx.us/fids/201500455-1.pdf page 1. He refused to pass me this time. He also informed me that he would not be passing my Touring in the future and would be going by page 1. The following items I do not have:

2. Windshield Wipers
3. Mirror
5. Seat Belts
12. Tail Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
13. Stop Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
15. Rear Red Reflectors (2)

Windshield wiper clamp: https://www.modeltford.com/item/7802.aspx
Windshield wiper: https://www.modeltford.com/item/7801LSS.aspx
Mirror: Plenty of choices on Lang's.
Seat Belts: Aftermarket at FLAPS?
This seems like an ok brake light switch: https://www.modeltford.com/item/3158RS.aspx so I only need 1 tail or stop lamp.
Reflectors https://www.modeltford.com/item/A-REFLECT.aspx
Ignacio, I would check with members of The Space City T's to see who they use to inspect their cars. It has been over two decades since I had a T, inspected, but even when I had my 1815 touring with a kerosene tail light and no stop light, I had no inspection problems. The inspectors always respected an old car as such and did not expect it to meet the same requirements as a new car.
I do think that you should have anticipated the car needing a windshield wiper, even if manual operated, and some sort of rear view mirroe. Even my 15 touring had those.
Unless Texas law has changed, cars bearing antique plates do not require an annual inspection, but technically cars with antique plates are only legal to drive if on club tours, etc., but I see many cars, as late as the 1950's that have antique plates and are driven by their owners, apparently with no problem. Cars, regardless of year, bearing standard or YOM year of manufacture plates, must be inspected, though. At least that was true a few years ago. It sounds like your "friendly" inspector has turned on you. Either he was having a bad day, getting chewed out by his Boss, or he had a fight with his wife at home.

FreighTer Jim
First Name: James
Last Name: Jarzabek
MTFCA Number: 29562
MTFCI Number: 24398
Board Member Since: 2008

Post by FreighTer Jim » Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:54 am

There is no “ Grandfather Clause “ for a
Modified Custom Build.

If a motor vehicle is going to operate on
public roadways - there are minimum standards
to be met for the safety of the Operator
and others that the Operator share
the public roadways with.

FJ
Google “ Model T Transport “
MTFCA - MTFCI - MAFCA Member

MichaelPawelek
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Pawelek
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Touring, 1925 Coupe

Post by MichaelPawelek » Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:07 am

Unique Vehicles
Antique & Classic
Vehicles registered as "Antiques" are exempt from annual inspection. To see the restrictions on the use of antiques or to obtain more information on how to register your vehicle as "Antique," visit the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles.

Vehicles registered as "Classic" are required to have an annual safety inspection. These types of vehicles are inspected like any passenger vehicle. Certain items of inspection, however, may or may not be required to be inspected, depending on the age of the car. (For example, seatbelts and anchorages are only required if the vehicle was originally manufactured with them.)

https://www.dps.texas.gov/section/vehic ... e-vehicles

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:23 am

First of all go to another inspector. If he told you about ‘upgrading’ your Touring if he keeps inspecting it its time to change inspectors. Don’t go back to him.
When it comes to old or antique cars getting the wrong guy can cause you headaches. Using antique plates is the easier way to go and may be your best bet.
If there is a T club near you ask them what they do as far as using antique plates or their experiences with getting their cars inspected.
Good luck

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Post by perry kete » Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:47 am

If I followed the correct build thread on your car you built this car from scratch and it was not a mass manufactured car from the era. Depending on how you presented the car to the inspector as "home built" or a period correct reconstruction may make the difference in what is required to pass inspection. Is it titled as a "home built" or a reconstructed 1920's car?
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:01 am

Do NOT patronize that inpsector, ever again. Be sure your vehicle is titled as a 1927 or earlier Ford. I had no problem getting my T with regular Texas plates inspected in Texas. It has one stock tail/brake/ license plate light, stock headlights, stock brakes, stock body, etc. Windshield is safety glass. One inside mirror on windshield header. I have a number of older vehicles, and my experience has always been that all equipment presently on the vehicle must be in working order, and it must have at least as much equipment as it did originally. In other words, if it was built with one tail light, it must be working order. If it now has 2 tail lights, they must both work. Same with wipers, mirrors, etc. I would consult with T club members in your county concerning any issues they may have had with "inspectors", DMV, etc. Most Texas regulatory agencies have extensive websites, and most have plenty of information on them concerning regulations and regulatory requirements. I believe the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles is the agency that administers the vehicle inspection program through its Vehicle Inspection Division.
Last edited by TXGOAT2 on Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

John Codman
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:43 am

The devil is in the details. You stated that your T was a "hay wagon to speedster" project, but then described it as a "touring"; my guess is that it depends on what is what. If it's a stock-appearing touring car and registered as an antique, under Texas motor vehicle law it is exempt from inspection. If it's a speedster or not registered as an antique, maybe not. In Massachusetts many antique automobile owners (including me) did not bother with the inspection. The inspectors didn't know what to look for, so it was basically "Do the lights work? That will be $35 please. The police virtually never stop an antique that isn't obviously modified.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:54 am

Wow! Many people I know have left California for Texas or other states, because they don't like our laws or taxes. However, I don't know of anyone who has had that kind of problem registering a T here. I have never had to have any of my cars inspected. Just one of them which, when I bought it, had had the engine changed with another T engine and the engine number didn't match. The Highway Patrol officer checked the number and OKed it. The vehicle was transferred to my name with the number on the block.
Another one which I built up from a basket case was inspected by a local Vehicle Registration service who is not even part of the DMV. All I did was have him come out and see the pile of parts and verified the engine number in the pile. The vehicle was then registered as Non-operation, and remained so until I was ready to drive it. Then I changed it to a regular registration, without any inspection. However, this was about 30 years ago, so I don't know what would happen today. I do have a windshield wiper and inside and side rear mirrors. Rocky Mountain brakes and one stop light and tail light. The switch I like mounts behind the brake pedal with a spring connecting it to the pedal. I have used the one pictured by Ivaldes, but like the one I have better. I'll see if I can find one in Lang's and post it here.
Nomr

130nav
First Name: Matt
Last Name: C
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50748
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by 130nav » Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:01 am

I used to have my cars registered in Texas when I was stationed in New Mexico (about 7 years ago) and I would get them inspected in the tiny border town of Farwell. The inspection was a joke compared to when I was in San Antonio. I would find the most rural inspector you can.

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by George House » Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:10 am

Are you attempting to license your Model T s as daily drivers like your modern iron ? If so then, yeah; it needs to be inspected every year and the little adhesive sticker applied in the upper right hand corner of your plate. And it’ll need all the items the trooper advised. If, on the other hand, you go after Antique plates, it’ll never need to be inspected and you pay for much discounted plates good for 3 years. It supposedly restricts you driving of the T but that is seldom-if ever- enforced.
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people 🤪

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564

Post by Mark Gregush » Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:15 am

Well that sucks! Might be red flagged in the system now, so might not matter which inspection station you go to. No title (?), trying to register assembled car? That may have tripped the alarm, changing the requirements.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

ModelTWoods
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Woods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan
MTFCI Number: 20180

Post by ModelTWoods » Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:21 am

John Codman wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:43 am
The devil is in the details. You stated that your T was a "hay wagon to speedster" project, but then described it as a "touring"; my guess is that it depends on what is what. If it's a stock-appearing touring car and registered as an antique, under Texas motor vehicle law it is exempt from inspection. If it's a speedster or not registered as an antique, maybe not. In Massachusetts many antique automobile owners (including me) did not bother with the inspection. The inspectors didn't know what to look for, so it was basically "Do the lights work? That will be $35 please. The police virtually never stop an antique that isn't obviously modified.
John, I think you may have misinterpreted Ignacio's post. He has two cars; a restored touring car, with stock equipment, AND the 'hay wagon to speedster' car, built from selected vintage T parts, 26-27 frame and running gear and brass radiator, fenders, running boards, etc. from a brass era T. This is the car he got turned down on the inspection. The inspector, I assume from Ignacio's post, apparently got agitated in discussing the infractions with Ignacio, to the point that he threatened to not pass Ignacio's touring car, the next time Ignacio brought it in for inspection. So, we're talking about two different cars, here. As for police stopping a T in Texas, they would literally have to be having a slow day to stop a T and not stop all the "hot rodders" tearing up the streets in their muscle cars.
I can't get my local small city (30,000) police department to zero in on the major street that runs within two houses of my house to stop the loud racing of cars, pickups, and motorcycles that interrupt a person's ability to sleep, anytime of the day or night, not to mention that their speed could cause a serious accident. The street I live on is a dead end cul-de-sac, and their is no light where it intersects this major street. It is bad enough that there is no light but the intersection also has limited visibility to one side as the major street comes off a hill. My wife and I constantly have to watch carefully when pulling out from our street onto this major street as it is the only way in or out.
But stopping my rant about the lack of policing, Ignacio has two cars, and he has had no problem getting his touring car inspected in the past.
Last edited by ModelTWoods on Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kmatt2
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Matthiesen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 T Coupe, 16 T Open Express, 21 TT Flatbed. 15 T Roadster, 13 & 25 T Speedster , 51 Mercury 4 door sport sedan, 67 Mercury Cougar
MTFCA Number: 11598

Post by kmatt2 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:29 pm

All I can say you live in Tx a state that a few years ago out lawed all dune-buggies and revoked their titles along with their registrations. There were collectors that lost the Tx title on restored Myers’s Max buggies 30k$ cars that then couldn’t sell them.
Politics making our lives safer !

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:34 pm

DMV inspector is really taking aim, guess you can meet most of those easy, but the ‘seatbelts’ seems extreme

This paragraph of the form says your T should be exempt, your chassis isn’t modern.

20.23 Seat Belts. Front seat belts are required on every motor vehicle in which front seat belt anchorages were a part of the manufacturer's original equipment on the vehicle.
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:23 pm

It all goes back to the inspector. Find another inspector and don’t give them a long explanation about your T. Just tell him it’s a 27 T roadster or something similar. Since it’s not quite stock looking your best bet might be to apply for antique plates and ask the other T owners who they went too.

Will_Vanderburg
First Name: William
Last Name: Vanderburg
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 28382

Post by Will_Vanderburg » Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:42 pm

I’m not sure how it is in some states, but in mine, Model Ts are not inspected and are not required to have anything on it that it never had.
William L Vanderburg

1925 Touring
1922 Center Door Sedan

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:36 pm

For liability purposes, seat belts are required for a lot of hill climbs and so are helmets. What you do is install a seat belt with a couple of bolts. You place the seat belts under the seat and leave them there. At inspection time you pull them out. For a helmet, you look up aviation and purchase a leather helmet of the style that was used by aviators in WWI. After all, it is a helmet. Problem solved.

Novice
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring. 1923/26 Open Express. 1920 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 49832
MTFCI Number: 24686
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Novice » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:01 pm

You can't make a pigs ear into a silk purse. it is what it is. register it as antique. Restrictions say You can drive antique vehicle to a repair shop or car show / car meet. anytime I take the T out it is going on show.

Chris Haynes
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Haynes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Runabout
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by Chris Haynes » Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:58 pm

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ ... 193649.jpg
This is how my T looked when I took it to The California Highway Patrol for verification. California does not make you have your vehicle inspected yearly.

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:33 pm

Michigan doesn't require anything that wasn't on the car when it was built. The only time the cops get involved is if you're trying to title a vehicle that doesn't have one. They'll inspect it for a serial number and sign a form certifying same. We have guys running acetylene headlamps and kerosene side and tail lamps.

I'm a believer in seatbelts but I wouldn't want them on a T. Unlike modern cars, the T's structure won't protect you in an accident. I have converted my lights / lamps to LED's and have some magnetic flashing lights I attach to the back when on busy roads or in low-light conditions.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479

Post by Henry K. Lee » Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:16 pm

As Chris posted a picture..., Always throw parts on a trailer and get a title first!!!!!!! Paid $2,000.00 once in fees and sales tax after a build! Go Simple!

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810

Post by Oldav8tor » Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:54 pm

I should point out that in Michigan you can choose whether to register your car as a "Historic Vehicle" or a regular plate. The historic plate comes with restrictions that are seldom enforced. I chose to get a regular plate so I can drive my car anywhere (except a freeway) and whenever I want and not worry about being hassled.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Topic author
ivaldes1

Post by ivaldes1 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:48 pm

Great catch on 20.23 I was wondering how I was going to mount those especially the middle strap. Theoretically I could bolt one side to the chassis but there isn't anything or much in the middle to bolt the other side to.
DanTreace wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:34 pm
DMV inspector is really taking aim, guess you can meet most of those easy, but the ‘seatbelts’ seems extreme

This paragraph of the form says your T should be exempt, your chassis isn’t modern.

20.23 Seat Belts. Front seat belts are required on every motor vehicle in which front seat belt anchorages were a part of the manufacturer's original equipment on the vehicle.

Topic author
ivaldes1

Post by ivaldes1 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:59 pm

Conclusion after reading below: I am only missing reflectors now. Lang's is back-ordered.

Check this out in the fine print further down in the document:

20.30 Vehicle Identification Number, Motor, or Serial Number. Make an actual physical check of the motor block,
frame, or body part where such number is located and record same on the inspection station report. If the vehicle has
no such number, type "NONE" in[write on the inspection certificate and on] the inspection [station] report. If such
number is obscured, "OBS" should be entered.
The entire vehicle identification number must be used.
>> Do not reject a vehicle because it has no vehicle identification number or motor or serial number.

Only one necessary or take the windshield out when inspecting:

20.33 Windshield Wipers. Every motor vehicle with a windshield must be equipped with a windshield wiper or
wipers adequate for cleaning rain, snow, or other moisture from the windshield; in good working order; and
constructed so as to permit operation and control by the driver of the vehicle.
All motor vehicles which were originally equipped (manufactured) with one wiper, only one wiper is required; if
originally equipped (manufactured) with two or more wipers, all wipers will be required. Replacement of vacuum
with electric or electric with vacuum wipers is permissible. Vehicles presented for inspection without windshields
will not be required to have wipers. The windshield is not an item of inspection. Manually operated wipers are
permissible if original vehicle equipment.
ivaldes1 wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:48 pm
Great catch on 20.23 I was wondering how I was going to mount those especially the middle strap. Theoretically I could bolt one side to the chassis but there isn't anything or much in the middle to bolt the other side to.
DanTreace wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:34 pm

david_dewey
Last Name: Dewey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1925 runaboaut, 1926 Tudor
MTFCI Number: 19936

Post by david_dewey » Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:15 am

Sounds like that inspector either doesn't know the regulations, or he needs to be reported to his superiors, you may not be his only victim.
T'ake care,
David Dewey

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:46 am

Some people can't handle even a little bit of authority without going Barney Fife .... and a few will go full-on Pol Pot.

aDave
Last Name: Dufault
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915
MTFCA Number: 303

Post by aDave » Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:02 am

George has the answer in a previous post:
Post by George House » Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:10 am
Are you attempting to license your Model T s as daily drivers like your modern iron ? If so then, yeah; it needs to be inspected every year and the little adhesive sticker applied in the upper right hand corner of your plate. And it’ll need all the items the trooper advised. If, on the other hand, you go after Antique plates, it’ll never need to be inspected and you pay for much discounted plates good for 3 years. It supposedly restricts you driving of the T but that is seldom-if ever- enforced.

Many problems if you register an "Antique" car with "regular" plates.

Also, some Insurance companies restrict "Antique" car coverage to certain events, and although many folks do, those folks are tempting fate when they use an "Antique" registered car as an everyday driver...or maybe in this case, a specialty event auto.
I looked at Ignacio's picture....could find only one with a Texas plate, but opart of the plate was obliterated , and could not determine if "Antique" plates were on the car. Again...George is correct...registering an "Antique"with modern plates makes one subject tol modern rules.

"The Devil is in the Details"

Happy New Year!

Topic author
ivaldes1

Post by ivaldes1 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:22 pm

The inspector tried to give me a hard time about seat belts. I came prepared, printing out the other sections likely to be discussed. I showed him section 20.23. I wore a jaunty top hat the entire time. I think that annoyed him even more. He didn't believe me at first. Then he found 20.23 in his regulation's binder. Then he passed me.

'Do you have any normal cars? Yes I DO, thank you sir! '

Thanks to all for showing me the fine print. It helped immensely.

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Post by tdump » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:19 pm

The mention of seat belts being Required in a Model T by a state employee,sheesh. Any body that has 2 brain cells rubbing together inside their head knows a Model T did not come from Ford with seatbelts. I am glad you were able to get the car inspected.
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:49 am

As the old saying goes if anybody remembers it goes like this :

WHEN IN DOUBT READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. That’s why the vehicle inspectors have a copy of inspection regulations in the inspection station.

Glad you got your T inspected and giving the inspector some education!

Topic author
ivaldes1

Post by ivaldes1 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:19 am

I thought the inspector was going to pass out when he saw the manual windshield wipers.

tdump
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.

Post by tdump » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:07 am

hehehe! i love it,I could just see him getting pale faced !

John Codman

Post by John Codman » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:12 am

In Massachusetts, it would be nearly impossible to get a by-the-book inspection. The commonwealth requires that the inspector drive the vehicle into the inspection bay. That pretty much excludes about 99% of all inspectors, as they simply don't know how to drive a T. and they are not going to learn on mine. Fortunately, the police pretty much leave antique vehicles alone as far as inspection stickers go. This does not include hot rods registered as antiques.

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:24 am

In Missouri, it just makes financial sense to register a vehicle with antique or year-of-manufacture plates if you can. No inspections (just a one-time VIN verification by a police officer who will come to your house), no renewals, just a one time fee that costs no more than standard plates. :)
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:46 pm

Folks we have to remember the question the inspector asked Ignacio: Do you have any normal cars?? This inspector is a member of the ‘new normal’ club we’ve heard about! It’s really the new ignorance! :lol:

TRDxB2
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)

Post by TRDxB2 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:20 pm

I'm really surprised at these responses. The "inspector's job" is tasked to uphold the standards set by the State's Department of Transportation. If he would release a vehicle that didn't meet these standards and said vehicle was in an accident who's to blame, loose their job and/or get sued. Yeah, I know you wouldn't do that if you were still alive.
--
--
Turn signals, brake lights, headlights, etc aren't for you, their for the other drivers on the road who are not using their cell phones.
Attachments
t crash.png
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:35 pm

When somebody comments about my T not having seatbelts, I remind them they send their children to school on a bus with no seatbelts.

tdump

Post by tdump » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:05 pm

I can't imagine how much liability insurance a engineer would have to carry if he designed a seat belt for a model T and stamped and it became a standard requirement. The cars of today are designed AROUND the seat belts mounting system.
A 200+ pound man creates alot of momentum flying thru the air,enough to yank a 1x4 or a piece of tin right in 2.

Michael Peternell
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Peternell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT gas truck, T tractor conversions, '15 touring, '17 speedster, '26 16 valve speedster

Post by Michael Peternell » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:35 pm

John kuehn wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:46 pm
Folks we have to remember the question the inspector asked Ignacio: Do you have any normal cars?? This inspector is a member of the ‘new normal’ club we’ve heard about! It’s really the new ignorance! :lol:
39335.jpeg
39335.jpeg (26.96 KiB) Viewed 4213 times

kmatt2
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Matthiesen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 T Coupe, 16 T Open Express, 21 TT Flatbed. 15 T Roadster, 13 & 25 T Speedster , 51 Mercury 4 door sport sedan, 67 Mercury Cougar
MTFCA Number: 11598

Post by kmatt2 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:55 pm

Ignacio , When the inspector asked you if you have any normal cars you should have said. Yes sir, I have a rear engined air cooled aluminum pancake six cylinder Chevrolet I drive quite often. The inspector may never have seen a Chevrolet Corvair from the 60’s !

Topic author
ivaldes1

Post by ivaldes1 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:45 pm

Kevin, this is the same inspector that inspects my Corvair. He had never seen a Corvair from the 60's. His expressions range from exasperated scowls to you've wrecked my day. I enjoyed turning the regulation tables on him. Although the subject is serious, there does seem to be lasting entertainment value here. :-) I showed him pictures of the wedding with the car in it. He said something to the effect of 'oh great.'
kmatt2 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:55 pm
Ignacio , When the inspector asked you if you have any normal cars you should have said. Yes sir, I have a rear engined air cooled aluminum pancake six cylinder Chevrolet I drive quite often. The inspector may never have seen a Chevrolet Corvair from the 60’s !

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:41 pm

Wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall, when the inspector is presented with this?
Helicron car.jpg
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Kaiser
First Name: Leo
Last Name: van Stirum
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver

Post by Kaiser » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:09 am

Frank, the picture you used in your post is of this very nice Dutch couple, the picture is of the accident they had when hauling their T on a trailer behind the Landrover support vehicle.
On a side note; the windshield is safety glass
The T was rebuilt and they are still traveling with it !
https://www.tfordworldtour.org/nl/
When in trouble, do not fear, blame the second engineer ! 8-)
Leo van Stirum, Netherlands
'23 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:54 pm

Kaiser wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:09 am
Frank, the picture you used in your post is of this very nice Dutch couple, the picture is of the accident they had when hauling their T on a trailer behind the Landrover support vehicle.
On a side note; the windshield is safety glass
The T was rebuilt and they are still traveling with it !
https://www.tfordworldtour.org/nl/
Thank you for the description and the link to the happy couple. NOTE: The cooling solution!
Going Dutch.png
All I did was mention seat belts in my text, showed a crash and pointed to where the driver was (standing?). Then others made their own conclusion.
Its much like the News Media discussing Air Pollution and showing pictures of cooling towers dispensing water vapor into the atmosphere. A picture is worth a thousands words but the words accompanying them may not always be in agreement.
Attachments
cooling tower.jpg
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:30 pm

I wonder what the translation of that sign is? The lower part "del mundo means "of the world in Spanish. I wonder what it means in Dutch?
Norm

DLodge
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Lodge
MTFCA Number: 19659

Post by DLodge » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:17 pm

Norman Kling wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:30 pm
I wonder what the translation of that sign is? The lower part "del mundo means "of the world in Spanish. I wonder what it means in Dutch?
Norm
Norm, the couple is Dutch, the sign is Spanish. Remember they toured through much of the world in that car. (It was even here in St. Louis.) :D

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:24 pm

That steam is making the polar bears sweat!

DLodge
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Lodge
MTFCA Number: 19659

Post by DLodge » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:26 pm

The late Bud Barnes was not only a state legislator here in Missouri for many years, he was also an antique car guy (including a Model T). He watched out for the car hobby when laws were being passed. For years, Missouri's historic plate law was like many other states which limited use and excluded just going for a drive on a nice day. Then Bud got the law changed:

301.131. Historic motor vehicles, permanent registration, fee — license plates — annual mileage allowed, record to be kept — penalty. —
  4. Historic vehicles may be driven to and from repair facilities one hundred miles from the vehicle's location, and in addition may be driven up to one thousand miles per year for personal use. The owner of the historic vehicle shall be responsible for keeping a log of the miles driven for personal use each calendar year. Such log must be kept in the historic vehicle when the vehicle is driven on any state road. The historic vehicle's mileage driven in an antique auto tour or event and mileage driven to and from such a tour or event shall not be considered mileage driven for the purpose of the mileage limitations in this section. ....

I have never heard of anyone with historic plates being asked by a cop to show him the mileage log.

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:39 am

Norman Kling wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:30 pm
Norm
fin del mundo; Dutch einde van de wereld; English end of the world.
Ushuaia has long been described as the southernmost city in the world. While there are settlements farther south, the only one of any notable size is Puerto Williams, a Chilean settlement of some 2,000 residents. As a center of population, commerce, and culture, and as a town of significant size and importance,[26] Ushuaia however clearly qualifies as a city. A 1998 article in the newspaper Clarín[reported that the designation "Southernmost city in the world" had been transferred to Puerto Williams by a joint committee from Argentina and Chile, but this was denied by Argentine authorities,[28][29] and the Secretariat of Tourism of Argentina continues to use the slogan in official documentation and web sites.
Wonder if they went there too?
Mick Jagger

John Codman

Post by John Codman » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:12 am

In Florida there is no state-mandated antique usage law. The state simply requires that the antique vehicle be operated within the rules set bu the insurance company. I have Hagerty; Hagerty limits me to 5,000 miles per year and no towing anything. I have been told that they will not insure any vehicle with a trailer hitch mounted on it. That is why my '82 Chevy pickup has antique plates and regular insurance.

Sarikatime
Last Name: Seress
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Towncar, 1915 Touring
MTFCA Number: 27707

Post by Sarikatime » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:46 pm

I have been to Ushuaia several times, great place. They love to camp in the forests near by in small pup tents in the summer, but there is always two inches of water almost everywhere. There are huge glaciers nearby and that is where all the ships and helicopters start out to go to the South Pole. The hotel on top of the hill is the best place to stay but the food most places is almost uneateble.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic