E&J Carbide Generator - Never Mind, it is Working

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

E&J Carbide Generator - Never Mind, it is Working

Post by CudaMan » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:44 am

I have an E&J carbide generator. I don't know if it is an original or a reproduction.

Today I removed the top tank and filled it with water over the kitchen sink. I turned on the valve, but I didn't see any water dripping out of the center tube on the bottom of the tank. What should the drip rate be?

I have heard that the reproduction tanks are intentionally made not to function to avoid liability. If mine is a repro, how can I make it function?

----------------------- UPDATE ---------------------------

Update - Never mind, I just wasn't patient enough. After 30 seconds or so, water started dripping out the center tube at a rate of one drop every 5 seconds or so. :)

I bought some carbide, along with some lamp oil for the side and tail lamps and plan to test them with some friends some evening when the weather is warm enough. :)
Attachments
570122.jpg
IMG_9259.JPG
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Re: E&J Carbide Generator - Never Mind, it is Working

Post by TXGOAT2 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:28 am

The drip rate is pretty slow. Using distilled water isn't necessary, but doing so might help prevent problems with the water metering by preventing mineral deposition. Be careful around acetylene gas. It's highly flammable and, unlike most flammable gases, acetylene is capable of exploding even when not in a confined space. Be careful not to let gas escape and accumulate. Be wary of stray sparks from static electric discharge, and avoid handling acetylene where there is no air movement, such as inside a garage or outddors on a still day. I would want to have a lit source of ignition present in an acetylene lamp before turning on the gas so as to prevent gas accumulating inside the fixture.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:53 am

Mark

be sure to check that your piping system does not contain any copper fittings.

An internet search or "MTFCA" search will provide more detail on the subject.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

ModelT46
First Name: Darel
Last Name: Leipold
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 touring
MTFCA Number: 823
MTFCI Number: 953
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by ModelT46 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:18 pm

I remember when a person turned the water on in a carbide generator and talked to someone explaining what he was doing. He then opened the headlight and lit a match. Blew the headlight apart.

Russ T Fender
First Name: Val
Last Name: Soupios
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '10 touring, '12 touring, '13 hack, '14 runabout, '14 touring, '14 speedster, '22 centerdoor, '27 touring

Post by Russ T Fender » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:11 pm

Always open the door on each headlight before starting up the generator.

Topic author
CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:25 pm

Thank you all for the tips! :)

My piping system is all brass (not copper) tubing. I see the vendors offer clamps for the ends of the red rubber hose, but I have heard that original systems did not use clamps, is that correct?

Another question - is the carbide residue hot after it is used? I wonder if I could put a plastic tub in the bottom of the lower tank to catch as much of the residue as possible, or would the residue melt the tub, making an even bigger mess?
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

KWTownsend
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Townsend
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: late 1911 touring, 1915 runabout, 1919 touring, brass speedster
MTFCA Number: 14778
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16305
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by KWTownsend » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:05 pm

Operating acetylene headlamps will move your car three rungs up on the "cool" scale.

I always open the headlamp doors before starting the gas and just before lighting the burner, blow inside the headlamp (think of blowing out the candles on a birthday cake) to purge it of any accumulated acetylene.

We are expecting pictures...

: ^ )

YellowTRacer
First Name: Ed
Last Name: Archer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 replica Transcontinental race car, 1915 2 man race car, 1918 American bodied speedster
MTFCA Number: 19
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2009

Post by YellowTRacer » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:27 pm

I'm certainly not an expert here but couldn't keep from throwing in my 2 cents. Most everyone that has chimed in is correct, but don't let anyone scare you too much. Once you get started just stay focused and you'll be fine. I use mine at least once a year in our 1906 Locomobile, on our drive to San Francisco, leaving at 3:15 AM or so each year on April 18th for the ceremony in downtown San Francisco commemorating the great 1906 earthquake. The ceremony begins, at the same time that the earthquake struck, at 5:12 AM in the morning. I think it's important to make sure we're all talking about the same thing. There's acetylene powered lights and carbide powered lights. Acetylene is more dangerous than carbide (in my book). With acetylene, you turn the valve on and almost immediately gas is at the lamp because it's coming from a compressed tank. Carbide is much slower. I turn the water valve on and taking my time go around and open the doors or I may already have them open, and then in around 30 seconds to two minutes, waiting with a lighted match (it varies) the burner will light. Very small flame at first and it grows as more gas enters. I strike a match right away but at first I get nothing. then a small pop! tiny flame, once it grows to full flame (pretty quick) , close the doors and drive away. The un fun part is cleaning the carbide tank immediately after words. As you can see in the picture, they get pretty bright and actually, at least in the old Loco. the rougher the road the brighter the lights. I think the rough road shakes a little more water down, so more gas.

Ed aka #4
Attachments
Earthquake 2018 4 45 AM Lotta's Fountain E _files.jpg

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic