Highland Park Powerplant and Edward Gray

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
jab35
First Name: James
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Highland Park Powerplant and Edward Gray

Post by jab35 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:33 am

I came across this information on the Highland Park powerplant and Ford engineer Edward Gray, Circa ~1912. If this is off-topic my apologies, jb
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rushhourp ... 6033/page1

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Re: Highland Park Powerplant and Edward Gray

Post by Duey_C » Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:56 am

I can't see how it could be off topic JB. Genuine Highland Park pieces. :)
Having been up on that platform like the gentleman in the pics on the H. O. R. engine in the museum.
Gosh, I was tickled to be up there. Had good fun looking at the pics in the link. Thanks JB!
I remember the dual names Hamilton-Gray associated with those engines. Am I remembering it right?
Perhaps the only image missing was the model T driving thru the generator stator. :)
C. H. Wendell (RIP) or his publisher happened to get the spelling wrong. Anyone not so centric to this sight might recall.
The big yellow book of American Gas Engines. Oops, you're not off topic, I am right now.
From the big yellow book just now.
Attachments
Hooven Owens Rentschler.jpg
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Topic author
jab35
First Name: James
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Re: Highland Park Powerplant and Edward Gray

Post by jab35 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:48 am

Duey_C: If you like, we can take this off-line as it's getting more and more off topic. I'd appreciate receiving full title and author, date, etc of the Big Yellow Book reference you mentioned. I'm jab35(at)cornell(dot)edu if you want to discuss.

You are remembering correctly from what I've been finding online. Owens became a partner with Hooven Rentschler located in Hamilton OH.

I just read the 'Reminiscences' account by Hugh P Dolan which is archived in THF Benson collection. https://cdm15889.contentdm.oclc.org/dig ... l2/id/4605

Mr. Dolan worked in the Ford Highland Powerplant as a high level engineer on the producer gas engines starting about 1913. This was prior to the 'splitting' of the first all gas tandem engines and adding a tandem steam engine to each to make two hybrid "gasteam" engines. The HOS engine in THF is one of these early engines. Dolan's account of trying to start the original producer gas only tandem engines and keeping them running at constant speed under varying load is good reading. His account of his life at Ford also includes his work in setting up power plants at the branch factories, sorting out the Ford coal mines in KY and some sociological and Jim Crow observations of the times. He's the kind of person I wish we could sit down and talk with today.
All the best, jb

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic