Quick Change Bands

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
dunoon
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 coupe

Quick Change Bands

Post by dunoon » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:11 pm

I just removed my bands to have them relined, I was wondering why the removable ear should be on the drivers side. It seems that if it rolled out on the other side there isn't any interference removing the bands while on the driver side you have the pedals and other items you have to work around. Any thoughts? Thanks

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Re: Quick Change Bands

Post by DHort » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:31 pm

We installed mine on the driver side. We were told later that that is a mistake. We will have to remove the hogshead to replace them. Maybe others have a different opinion.

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:38 pm

According to the Ford manual, detachable ear bands are to be installed with the removable ear on the peddle side (driver's side for us Americans) so as one simply drops the opposite ear into the abyss to gain ample room to remove the one that comes off then fish out the attached ear and bring it out and around.

If the ears are placed on the right (pass. side for us Americans) there isn't enough room to remove the detachable ear UNLESS you bring each band back to the clutch spring area to have enough room.

Alan Long
First Name: Alan
Last Name: Long
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 Canadian Touring Car and 1926 Australian built Utility

Post by Alan Long » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:08 pm

I agree, it’s the Drivers or Pedal side where the detachable ends go. This statement is universal, the Drivers side is the drivers side no matter where you live in the world!
Alan in Western Australian

Kenny Edmondson
First Name: Kenny
Last Name: Edmondson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring 1924 Fordor

Post by Kenny Edmondson » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:57 pm

There are 2 areas of concern. The obvious is not being able to easily pull the bands out with the hog head on if the clip ends are on the wrong side.
The another issue that comes in to play with the bands removable ears on the drivers side (US) and with the engine rotation, the band is pulling against the clip-on ear. If it were reversed the band would be pushing against the detachable ear and would eventually wear or damage the locking area.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:27 pm

Alan, you are right when stating the drivers side or pedal side is universal for RHD or LHD. However, driver's side can be either side for most everything else, so if we all stick with left hand side or right hand side we will be universally correct for everything. There has to be an exception for those who believe a car swaps from left hand side to right hand side if you view it from the front!

Allan from down under.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:13 pm

I have been listening in, hearing, reading, and arguing in these debates for over fifty years now (when did that happen?). I have listened to historians citing era references, and engineers debating alternate theories of shear and stress. And they do not all agree.
I have run them and changed them both ways myself. And frankly, I did not notice any significant advantage either way.
As a used to was an engineer myself, I paid particular attention to other engineering types and their debates about stresses and shear. However, the engineering reality is that on all three drums, stress and shear act opposite on acceleration and deceleration. And stress and shear acts differently between first, reverse, and brake. If stress and shear were critical, one of the drums most likely would need to be installed opposite the other two.
Does stress and shear matter? Yes, but the model T is built robust enough that it is not significant.

My opinion, for whatever it is worth? And I know a lot of people disagree with me on this. It really does not matter a lot. If you find that you installed your bands backwards? Put them in the "right" way the next time you need to change them or repair something else anyway. Even if your Kevlar or wood bands will outlive you? I would not bother with an extra unnecessary teardown.
I have torn down several old original engines, and found quick change band directions about fifty/fifty in them.

But, that is me.

RajoRacer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer

Post by RajoRacer » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:00 pm

Wayne - why would the Ford engineers describe & print in the manual detailed instructions for the installation of the "new" detachable ear bands if it didn't mater ????????

Mark Osterman
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Osterman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 runabout

Post by Mark Osterman » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:41 am

Nevertheless … I would love to see a well shot video of how to remove and install quick change bands on a engine sitting in an engine stand so it’s easy to see. Might be a good thing for a model T club to produce this winter. 😄

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:09 am

Mark O. makes a good point.
I don’t recall seeing any show and tell videos about changing out the quick change bands. If there are any I just missed them.

Changing the transmission bands is probably the most convoluted repair that a Model T owner can do especially for the first time! It can be head scratcher for sure.

Steve Hughes
Last Name: Hughes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring 1921 Centerdoor
MTFCA Number: 216
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 23070

Post by Steve Hughes » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:44 am

There probably has not been a video instruction done for this because you shouldn’t have a lot of swearing in a video. That is a key part of changing bands without removing the hogshead.

RajoRacer

Post by RajoRacer » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:56 am

Amen to that Steve !!!

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:03 pm

This appears to be an old video and pictures are dark, but the bands are pulled through to the pedal side where the ear is attached
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwVydOu-QJQ
bands1.png
--
--
The quick change bands were designed so the bands could be removed replaced through the transmission cover. So doesn't it make sense that the removable ear side be on the pedal side to clear the various pedal supports using the "band tool". No comments on the band tool please.
Attachments
bands2.png
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

RajoRacer

Post by RajoRacer » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:27 pm

And the fact that the reverse & brake pedals can be completely removed to facilitate the band removal.

J1MGOLDEN
First Name: James
Last Name: Golden
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Model T Roadster
MTFCA Number: 14294
MTFCI Number: 13562

Post by J1MGOLDEN » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:57 pm

The main reason seems to be the pedals are not in your way of seeing what you are doing.

Also there was no door on the drivers side to provide easy access when that book was written.

You can remove the band with the ear on, if you do reverse first and then move the other bands forward for removal.

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:49 pm

The video got me to scratch my head. Its a right hand drive T.
Still the removable ears are installed on the correct left side.

Art M
First Name: Art
Last Name: Mirtes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32489
MTFCI Number: 24068
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Art M » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:06 pm

I am confused. 45 years ago when I knew nothing about a model t and I didn't know that changing the bands through the top opening was a difficult job, I changed the bands without any problem.

Today, I am frightened to do this task because of all the issues that I have read about.

The solution to deciding which side to place the detachable ear is to use nondetachable bands.

My opinion is to put the brake and the reverse band ears on the left side and the low band ear on the right side. These are the band actuating sides. The opposite sides are the anchor sides, which have much higher loading.

Art Mirtes

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic