Front Door Pocket - Technical drawing

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
rainer
First Name: Rainer
Last Name: Hantsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Lizzy: Model T Touring 1916, brass & black
Board Member Since: 2021

Front Door Pocket - Technical drawing

Post by rainer » Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:18 am

Hello.
During my restoration of my front door, one suggested if such pockets couldn't be reproduced.

I want to contribute. As I was confirmed by »Humblej« in another thread, my door pocket appears to be an original one (100+ years old), so I took detailed measurements and made a technical drawing before I glue it to the 1.5 mm plywood (= cardboard replacement). Gluing it to thin plywood will give it the necessary stability because the textile inside this artificial leather is very limited. So if one wants to reproduce them, at least the dimensions are not lost.

Here a link to the ZIP file (I have no idea if such file can be uploaded here):
http://www.hantsch.co.at/_Model-T/Front-Door-Pocket.zip

The drawing is available as AutoCAD R14 .dwg file. All dimensions are in Millimeters, the drawing is made in Millimeter Units. (So one can easily open it and pick all dimensions also in imperial, if desired.) I also converted it into PDF format and added it to the same .zip file, so one can open and print it without needing a compatible CAD program.
I have placed each part on a separate layer (also in different color) to make it easy to turn visibility of each part on and off.

Front-Door-Pocket - Drawing preview
Front-Door-Pocket - Drawing preview

Humblej was so kind and showed me this "Western Auto Supply 1928" catalog page. The shape of all parts (back material, lid and pocket) of my door pocket differs a bit, as you can see ... Especially the radius below the door latch is extremely different. The catalog shows a radius of estimated 50mm, while my door has a radius of approx 90mm. Also the pocket lid has different shape.

Catalog page (Western Auto Supply) received from Humblej
Catalog page (Western Auto Supply) received from Humblej
WesternAutoSupply-DoorPocket.jpg (78.61 KiB) Viewed 3106 times
I hope this is helpful to others. If one decides to produce some, I will be happy to know about that (in case that mine falls apart). If interest is bigger, let me know, then I can look for a company in China for producing some.

Geetings,

Rainer
Model T Touring 1916

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Re: Front Door Pocket - Technical drawing

Post by Oldav8tor » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:06 pm

I take it the "pocket" replaces the whole door panel. I've never seen one, does anyone have these on their car?
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:22 pm

Not necessarily a replacement Jim, it is an add on, so it could be installed over the factory door covering, and that is how Rainer's door was configured.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:48 pm

take it the "pocket" replaces the whole door panel. I've never seen one, does anyone have these on their car?
Think that accessory pocket is just tacked onto the factory door panel. One thing to check in the design is to have adequate 'gussets' so that the pocket can expand and hold the necessary goodies you want to carry.

I added a new tool pouch to the door on the '27 touring, to carry sunglasses or whatever. Except it really doesn't open up enough to reach to the bottom, since the bag is attached to the door panel, and can only slightly expand one direction, as the bag sides are sewn flat.

IMG_3866 (640x480).jpg
On this aftermarket Model T body, the two rear doors had 'flaps' that open to store items inside the door compartment, very roomy way to haul tools or other stuff! Made sure to replicate these flaps when redoing the upholstery./b]

IMG_0265.JPG
IMG_5467.JPG
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:41 pm

Is there really no-one in America capable of making such an item? Such an item for limited production would keep a craftsman in work, rather than lose his/her expertise.
Allan from down under.

Topic author
rainer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Lizzy: Model T Touring 1916, brass & black

Post by rainer » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:08 am

Just a question on "Artificial Leather".

On one of last pictures I see this material tacked to the door frame (it is not cut along borders).

1. How thick is this material? Should be really thin to not thicken inner panel too much.
2. Does it look like natural black leather, or like "plastic"?
3. I will have to find a store in Austria or Germany. If I can't find one here, where was this material bought? Price?

Background:
My Lizzy looks a bit shabby inside. All cardboard panels in front area are warped by humidity, also the cloth is very close to become exposed. A bit worse than on last pictures of rear doors, but warped in addition above and below the rib in half height. So it is more or less a question of time...
But I don't want to make a brand new car. It shall look authentic.

So I am looking for an extremely thin "artificial leather", not much thicker than the cloth underneath, and with a similar wrinkles. If it is not "dead black" but a little bit brighter (like graphite), it would match better.
No idea if such material is available.
Model T Touring 1916

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:05 pm

Rainer, the cards over which the fabric is fixed/glued can be made from 3mm MDF. This will give you a nice flat panel. A good upholstery sewing machine will even sew through it, so the fabric can be stitched around the edges of the card.

A better solution to matching the covering material and keeping some patina might be to use second hand fabric. Because they are relatively small pieces they can be cut from used tonneau covers from modern utilities/pick-up tricks. I used some when recovering the seats on my barn fresh buckboard. Here the material was used to extend the older used material which was the face on the covers. The newer, but still used part is largely unseen on the sides of the seat. My motor trimmer saves any covers he cannot repair. Once he has made the new cover, the old pattern is mine!

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:40 pm

The aftermarket pocket is listed for use with the 9-25 T’s with wood doors using tacks to attach it.
Was there any of the aftermarket door pockets made for the 26-27 T’s. Dan shows his that he made. Surely there were some made for the later T’s. I think those would have to be attached with screws since it’s a metal framed door?

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:03 pm

The attached picture is of the right front door of my 1917 Touring. You will see that the only places to tack a pocket would be to the edges or the bar across the middle. I would think if you really wanted to secure it your best bet would be to remove the panel and sew the pocket to it.
IMG_1348-copy.jpg
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:06 pm

Some I did a few years back but again.., no one wants to pay very much to a craftsman! Just Sayin'

IMG_0209.jpeg

Topic author
rainer

Post by rainer » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:04 am

Right now I finished the restoration of my front door, so I want to post a final picture.
Finished door
Finished door
I think I will not paint the tacks black, this decent brass looks nice.

What I did was gluing the original door pocket to a sheet of model-airplane plywood (thickness 1.5 mm), using a permanently elastic PU glue. The plywood was protected first by several layers of parquet paint. The edges are covered by a stripe of new "artificial leather" to hide the extremely bad edges of the door pocket. Because sewing does not work through plywood (at least I don't want to ruin a sewing machine), I glued the ribbon to the edges.

Now the door looks lots better but still matches the overall look of my Lizzy.
Model T Touring 1916

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:27 am

Nicely done, Rainer
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:49 am

Wow, turned out great.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic