Carb restoration requires a lot of work you may not realize

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Carb restoration requires a lot of work you may not realize

Post by Scott_Conger » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:21 am

I was organizing photos on the computer and came across this: I had finished a Stromberg job a while back which originally came with a badly botched up fuel strainer head. As is, it would have been fine to reuse for a simple rebuild but would not do for a restoration. Without seeing before/after photos, a lot of the work on a restoration simply flies under the radar. So here is a comparison -

The fuel strainer went from this:
Fuel strainer with mangled head.png

to this:
fuel strainer with new head.png

after finishing the cleaning and assembly of the carb, you'd never know that there was any work done to the strainer, as it should be.

Because it is a long rigid part, and the bottom of the assembly must remain perfectly centered or coaxial to the threads, it requires a surprisingly precision fixture to assemble the new head to the rest of the assembly as well as retain the original length. Making the fixture took a fair amount of time, but I expect this will not be the only time it's used.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Re: Carb restoration requires a lot of work you may not realize

Post by Rich Eagle » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:24 pm

Very nicely done. We seldom realize how much goes into these things until we do it or when someone points it out. I don't mind taking the time to make my own projects as good as I can but would have trouble charging to do that for someone else. More power to those who can
Rich
When did I do that?

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:43 pm

Good work on the Carb piece! I have to ask when you make a piece like this is there a type of hard fiber washer that was used originally? I would think so but this isn’t a common part I would think. Since it was a fuel strainer head that piece would likely be unscrewed fairly often.

Topic author
Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:33 pm

John

yes, there is a fiber washer which fits between the underside of the strainer top and the top of the carb. The slot to remove it is usually really beat up, as you're correct, it comes off a lot if you bought dirty fuel or had a crummy fuel tank. This carb is a very good performing carb but has very small holes in the jets and will perform poorly if gummed up.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic