Correct water inlet bolts

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
130nav
First Name: Matt
Last Name: C
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50748
Board Member Since: 2019

Correct water inlet bolts

Post by 130nav » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:25 pm

I’m in the process of removing the water pump and putting the original style water inlet back on my 26. I assume I will be buying a bergs after I get things running, but I’d like to take this link out of the cooling system. The bolts that came off the water pump are modern grade 5 bolts and barely cleared the replacement inlet and horn bracket from Lang’s. What is the correct length and material? Is zinc plated ok? I found some replacements, but I’m afraid they may be too long (I’ll measure when I get home). I’m not concerned about the looks, I’ll just paint them black anyways. They are 7/16’s coarse thread correct?

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Re: Correct water inlet bolts

Post by CudaMan » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:09 pm

Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:30 pm

It will have a dome head to the bolts like the head bolts have. No zinc plate, either painted steel or nickel plated. Water outlet bolts are domed too.
Last edited by Humblej on Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:20 pm

https://mtfca.com/phpBB3/posting.php?f= ... 324adb4087
Bruce's "Comprehensive Model T Encyclopedia" [available: http://mtfca.com/encyclo/mccalley.htm or from the vendors] often will have the item listed along with better dimensions and TPI. For example part # 3016 that holds the side water inlet onto the block is listed "SCREW (Water inlet connection, 7/16 x 1-1/2� x 14 T.P.I.)" (Why it uses the term Screw when it looks like a bolt � I�m not sure � but that is what the catalog used. Note many of the vendors also use the same part numbers as the original Price List of Parts � that can be helpful in tracking thing down.)
h2oinlet.png
--
--
The chart references the bolt head size and tools that can be used on it in that location
Attachments
bolts chrt.png
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Humblej
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster

Post by Humblej » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:37 pm

Frank, A bolt that threads directly into a threaded hole is generally called a screw.

Matt, Congratulations removing the water pump and going natural thermosyphon! You will not regret it. Burping, bubbling, and peeing does not mean it is overheating, its all part of the charm of a model T, like buzzing coils.

Kerry
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Post by Kerry » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:54 pm

Technically to call a bolt a screw it needs to be threaded all the way to the head and is called a machine screw, a screw is a tapered fastener.

Art M
First Name: Art
Last Name: Mirtes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32489
MTFCI Number: 24068
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Art M » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:06 pm

They are technically referred as a cap screw, if the fastener doesn't have a nut attached.. Exceptios are head bolts and plow bolts.

Art Mirtes

Kerry
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Post by Kerry » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:36 pm

Yes, other parts of the world can interpret names differently. If you ask for cap crews in Australia. you are working with high strength fasteners that are stronger than grade 8.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:52 pm

I'll call the water outlet bolts screws when you guys stop calling tourers tourings!

Allan from down under.

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:46 pm

Amazing how quickly a discussion can get screwed up. :o

https://monroeengineering.com/blog/bolt ... ifference/
The Machinery’s Handbook explains that bolts are used to assemble to unthreaded objects, typically with the use of a nut. In comparison, screws are used to assemble objects with threads. Here’s the thing, though: not all objects in which screws are used already have threads. Some objects feature pre-made threads, whereas others create the thread during the installation of the screw. So, the fundamental difference between screws and bolts is that the former is used to assemble threaded objects, while the latter is used to assemble untreaded objects. With that said, screws can make their own threads during the installation process. :geek:
--
--
Another interesting answer (this makes sense to me)
A bolt as a fastener which is turned from outside the head, and a screw as a fastener with a central drive. However, what constitutes a screw or a bolt can vary dependent on time period, geographical location, and even just manufacturer preference; the invention of criteria-defying hybrids further complicates the identification process, creating a muddled sense of distinction.
--
--
Another distinction https://www.portlandbolt.com/technical/ ... ap-screws/
The most basic difference between a cap screw and a bolt is the way in which these fasteners are installed. Technically, a bolt is installed by turning a nut to tighten the fastener, while a cap screw is installed by turning the head of the bolt to assemble and tighten
Attachments
boltsvs screws.png
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Allan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:53 am

This is like left hand side of the car can be either side, depending on whether you are looking at it from the front or the back! A bolt is only a bolt if it has a nut? If there is no nut it is a screw?
An old adage goes along the lines of "If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it is most likely a duck!" Same goes for bolts.
To put this in T terms, the coupling of the rear axle to the pan/transmission cover is made with two screws and two bolts. I'm sure you all agree.

Allan from down under.

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:58 am

Allan wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:53 am
This is like left hand side of the car can be either side, depending on whether you are looking at it from the front or the back! A bolt is only a bolt if it has a nut? If there is no nut it is a screw?
An old adage goes along the lines of "If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it is most likely a duck!" Same goes for bolts.
To put this in T terms, the coupling of the rear axle to the pan/transmission cover is made with two screws and two bolts. I'm sure you all agree.

Allan from down under.
So your saying Head Bolts are really Head Screws. I rather stick with "A bolt as a fastener which is turned from outside the head, and a screw as a fastener with a central drive." Head Bolts
Mick Jagger

Allan

Post by Allan » Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:17 am

Sorry Frank, I guess you missed my understated irony. A bolt is a bolt. However it is used, it is still a bolt.

Allan from down under.

Humblej

Post by Humblej » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:28 am

Hats off to all who successfully diverted a potential water pump tirade bloodbath into a harmless bolt/screw naming convention discussion. On the bright side, at least we didn't get a politically correct woke lesson about the terms male and female fasteners.

Topic author
130nav

Post by 130nav » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:44 am

Thanks to everyone for the help, and the fastener chart and links. I bought some 2 inch long bolts the other day, and they seemed too long, the 1 inch bolts holding the water pump on were definitely too short, so I’m glad I can confidently go find the 1.5 inch ones. Does the finish/material/grade matter? It looks like zinc plated grade 5 is the most common.

Humblej

Post by Humblej » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:13 pm

Common, yes, correct looking, no.
The finish/material/grade bolt does not matter for a water inlet. Modern zinc or cad bolts are not the right finish, and a modern hex head is the wrong shape, they will work, but look wrong. Model T bolts that I have had tested were somewhere less than a modern grade 2 bolt. You can use a grade 2, or greater, your choice. If you got a grade 9 bolt, it has a higher head, you can grind or turn it to make a dome head. Or you could get a dome head bolt from the vendors.
Any modern bolt with any finish, in any grade will work, not look right, but work. You asked. And if you keep your hood closed, who would know.

J1MGOLDEN
First Name: James
Last Name: Golden
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Model T Roadster
MTFCA Number: 14294
MTFCI Number: 13562

Post by J1MGOLDEN » Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:44 pm

A not so common know fact is if you measure the head of a bolt, the threaded area will be 3/16th inch smaller.

For those bolts and the head bolts, a 5/8th inch wrench is required, so the bolt is 10/16th minus 3/16th or 7/16th inch.

Then you have to determine if it is national course or national fine threaded.

Of course, there are exceptions to all the rules and the Model T has a few of them.

The bolts holding the generator in place, on the later 1919 to 1927 Ts that have one, are an exception with a size larger head.

There are three places that use Size 14 X 24 screws or nuts that have been obsolete for many years.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:21 pm

To Jeff

It is reassuring that in the hobby, one can still tell a male fastener from a female fastener by simply looking. At least for now, though a recent thread showed a change from cross-point to slotted, via clever surgery ;)
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
130nav

Post by 130nav » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:30 pm

Humblej wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:13 pm
Common, yes, correct looking, no.
The finish/material/grade bolt does not matter for a water inlet. Modern zinc or cad bolts are not the right finish, and a modern hex head is the wrong shape, they will work, but look wrong. Model T bolts that I have had tested were somewhere less than a modern grade 2 bolt. You can use a grade 2, or greater, your choice. If you got a grade 9 bolt, it has a higher head, you can grind or turn it to make a dome head. Or you could get a dome head bolt from the vendors.
Any modern bolt with any finish, in any grade will work, not look right, but work. You asked. And if you keep your hood closed, who would know.
Thank you, this was the other piece I was looking for. Once I get it running and driving around, one day, I'll worry about the little things like that. I keep thinking, what would someone that owned a model T in the late 20's do? Probably whatever was the simplest and easiest available. My horn (that came with other spare parts) appears to be from a Model A or later, and didn't fit the bracket from Langs until I drilled an extra hole. So who cares if the bolts holding everything on are also incorrect? I'll just be glad when the cooling system is functioning as originally designed, and my period correct (but not stock) horn makes an original...ish sound.

A Whiteman
First Name: Adrian
Last Name: Whiteman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT, 1924 Colonial Roadster, 1924 'Bullnose' Morris, 1925 'Bullnose' Morris, 1936 JD AR

Post by A Whiteman » Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:28 am

And of course we have the BOLT CHARTS on the Gallery Section, that are just waiting for corrections and missing details to be added. Feel free to have a look at PM me the corrections/ missing data :-) https://mtfca.com/phpBB3/app.php/gallery/album/195

(Thanks to those who did this some time ago and my apologies that I lost the replies... which is why they have not been updated... (hangs head in shame) )

You may be interested to know that HEAD BOLTS were, in fact referred to as CYLINDER HEAD CAP SCREWS 'back in the day': https://mtfca.com/phpBB3/app.php/gallery/image/1507

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic