Amazing Cars

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Amazing Cars

Post by Original Smith » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:41 pm

Model T's are amazing cars. Those who have been around awhile know this. I have a '13 touring that I have had since I was 18. It has well over 55,000 miles on it. But I'm posting this more for the new people to the hobby. My car is almost the way it was built. Yes, the engine has been out a few times, and I've replaced all the valves, but it still has the pistons I put in it as a young guy in his 20's. I'm saying this because you don't have to make a lot of modifications to have a good running car. I went out this afternoon, after having had to do a few things to the car. I decided to take it for a drive. It hasn't been started since the HCCA Harvest Tour last September. I primed it, and gave the crank one pull, and it started. Model T's don't seem to care how long they sit, they always do this. I like to tour. I have a Ruckstell, and real Rocky Mountain brakes. That's it.

KeithG
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Gumbinger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '14 Touring, '26 RPU, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
MTFCA Number: 4661
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 6866
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Amazing Cars

Post by KeithG » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:58 pm

Hi Larry, That's an encouraging report for all of us but especially for the newer T guys who don't know how dependable T's can be.
Thanks for posting it.

Keith
'14 Touring, '26 Roadster Pickup, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
Motto: It's hard to build a garage that's tooooo big! :D

EricMac
First Name: Eric
Last Name: Macleod
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 24 Touring, 26 Fordor, 27 Fordor, 27 Touring, '92 Stynoski, '06 Stynoski owner emeritus
MTFCA Number: 50125
MTFCI Number: 19464
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by EricMac » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:03 pm

I couldn't agree with Larry any more. Last week my youngest daughter asked me for a "rattle trap car" ride. The closest car to the door was my completely stock 26 Touring. After sitting 6 months, including the coldest winter in 100 years, all I had to do was check air and fluids. Like Larry, I did prime it but in 2 turns of the starter it was running. We had a great ride and Amelia was delighted.
1913 Touring
1926 Fordor
1926 Touring
1927 Touring
Stynoski 2006, Nash, Franklin, Lincoln, Cadillac and Buick owner emeritus

JP_noonan
First Name: John
Last Name: Noonan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Runabout

Post by JP_noonan » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:21 am

Amazing indeed. I admit that i probably take better care of my T then the previous owners of my car did back in the day. That being said, all i do during the driving season is to make sure all the fluids/tire pressures/and general maintenance lubing is done, then i just drive. When i first bought my T a few years back, i invited my best friend to check out my new purchase to get his initial impression, after some snickering, he told me that i had lost my mind buying this dainty carriage after all the hot-rods we had owned over the years. After i explained to him that this car was designed before there were any modern roads, i took him for a ride in a field behind my property complete with mud, ruts, and berms. He never used the word "dainty" again. :D Now, it seems he might be in the market for a TT. ...Go figure. ;)
Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

DJPeterson
First Name: Dale
Last Name: Peterson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring, 1916 Roadster, 1925 Roadster PU, 1926 Canadian Fordor, 1927 Speedster

Post by DJPeterson » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:28 am

Needed to move cars around in their garage spots today. Turned on the gas, charged the battery on the 15 Touring a little. After moving the 25 RPU, went back to the 15 and turned it over 2 full revolutions with choke. Back to the switch and as soon as I turned it to battery, it free started! Surprised me so much that I almost forggot to advance the spark. This one has not been started for close to 6 months. :)

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:32 am

I am suspicious. I think youze guys are biased ! :lol:
More people are doing it today than ever before !

JP_noonan
Last Name: Noonan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Runabout

Post by JP_noonan » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:16 am

Burger, biased,...Naw, Touched in the head, probably. :shock: ;)
Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:31 am

JP_noonan wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:21 am
When i first bought my T a few years back, i invited my best friend to check out my new purchase to get his initial impression, after some snickering, he told me that i had lost my mind buying this dainty carriage after all the hot-rods we had owned over the years.
I'm in the same boat. I've owned some nasty hotrods over the years...even a couple that ran close to 10's in the quarter. Then I buy this spindly little carriage and several of my hotrod friends initially questioned my sanity.

But guess what they're all obsessed with when they come over? Yep...the Model T. They just can't get enough of it, and they all want to drive the foolish carriage as soon as I get it going. The guy who pesters me about it the most has a gorgeous '71 F100 with a supercharged V8 that makes almost 600 horsepower.
1924 Touring

REHelgeson
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Helgeson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Farm Truck, 1926 Pickup
MTFCA Number: 31827
MTFCI Number: 25052
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by REHelgeson » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:00 am

Don, everyone here knows 600 HP is about 580 HP more than what is needed. Henry was correct in thinking the T was all the car anyone would ever need.

John Codman
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:44 am

My old gal just turned 92 (The T, not my wife). The only part of the engine that has obviously been off is the head. I know this, because I'm the guy that pulled it to inspect the cooling system when I first bought the car. The engine looked great inside, and all I did was clean the head, paint it, and replace two head bolts that looked a little groady. The car runs great.

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:59 am

REHelgeson wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:00 am
Don, everyone here knows 600 HP is about 580 HP more than what is needed. Henry was correct in thinking the T was all the car anyone would ever need.
:D
1924 Touring

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:30 am

My cars have been apart and back together again. I have 3 of them. All run on magneto and coils, with Ford cast iron heads. One has a scat crank but is standard stroke. I have had a few problems with transmissions but find the usual problem is the low cam and notch are worn out. This causes me to adjust the band too tight in order to get the band tight with the pedal above the floorboard causing the band to drag and either prematurely wear out the band lining or crack the drum. Once I found out what was causing this problem, I fixed it and no more transmission problems.
I have been attending Model T tours for over 25 years and only had to put a T on the trouble trailer once. I was able to fix a loose wire in the ignition system at the next stop on the tour and took the T off the trailer and finished the tour.
Now I know this sounds like bragging, but it is true.
My experience with tours is that the cars which have the most trouble and break down most frequently are usually modified. They either have non stock ignition systems, alternators, or speed equipment. The most famous is the man who had a Rajo head and both three speed transmission and ruckstell rear end. Several times he sheared off something in the rear axle and had to be trailered home. Once he had the governor in his car which broke down on a long bridge.

Anyway, what I am trying to say, is that a stock T is a bit slow, but very dependable. A modified T is iffy.
Norm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic