Oil Slingers or mag

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Papabear2121
First Name: Gary
Last Name: Fuller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2018

Oil Slingers or mag

Post by Papabear2121 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:33 am

Another dumb question from Tenn. If I replace the magnets with oil slingers do I remove the coils too?

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Re: Oil Slingers or mag

Post by Kerry » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:50 am

I assume you mean the magneto coil ring then the answer is yes.

AndreFordT
First Name: Andre
Last Name: Valkenaers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 ; 1922 ; 1915.
MTFCA Number: 23792
MTFCI Number: 19330

Post by AndreFordT » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:35 am

Yes,
but don't forget to secure the back sides of the triple gear shafts.

Andre
Belgium

Rob Patterson
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Patterson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '21 Canadian built Aust'n Bodied (Steenbohms) Touring & '15 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2003

Post by Rob Patterson » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:11 am

Without wanting to get into an argument, should you remove all of your magneto components you will save considerable weight from the engine.
I removed all of that stuff from my Speedster engine and weighed it at the time.
The fixed feild coil plate weighs in at 8 kilograms and the magnets, spools etc 7KG's = 15 KG's all up, or more than 33 pounds.
I dont know the weight of slingers, but I'd recon it'd be only about a pound or two.
Cheers,
Rob
"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." HENRY FORD

D Stroud
First Name: David
Last Name: Stroud
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by D Stroud » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:23 am

Gary, if I were you, I'd do some research on the oil slingers. They have been known to come apart and cause all sorts of problems, I've seen it happen. Myself, I wouldn't use them, but I don't mind the weight of the mag. JMHO Dave
1925 mostly original coupe.

George Andreasen
First Name: George
Last Name: Andreasen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 0...building from parts

Post by George Andreasen » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:55 am

In the first T engine I built back in the early seventies, oil slingers weren't available. So, I made my own from thick aluminum angle (3/16" if I recall). They stayed in there without problems for the entire time I had the car and worked very well. Moved a LOT of oil!

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191

Post by Ruxstel24 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:18 am

I am not positive, but I don't believe my car has magnets...it free revs very fast. Like a KZ1000 Kawasaki :lol:
I didn't think to look when I had the pan off.
If so, slingers have been in there a long time... :shock:

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:14 am

If your car has a starter, you can take off the starter and look in with a light to see whether it has magnets or slingers.
Note if you remove the magneto coil, be sure to install the bolts which hold it to the block. At least one of the holes goes outside the engine and would cause a serious oil leak if no bolt is installed.
Norm

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:56 am

What is wrong with leaving the car as it was built?

If I was looking to buy a T and the owner said "By golly, I removed everything that makes a T a T, and you'll have to go to considerable time, effort and expense to put it back to original if you buy it", I'd walk away and buy the next T that came along. With the proliferation of T's continually coming on the market, that would be like, tomorrow.

People imply that removing the magnets is going to make some sort of amazing increase in power, which just isn't going to happen. You're going to gain less HP than you lose to a generator that is adjusted too high. I have heard of just as many slingers breaking off as magnets, and given the massively large number of magnets in service compared to slingers, I'd say the % likelihood of a failure is solidly with welded slingers.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Tom Hicks
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 32518

Post by Tom Hicks » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:24 pm

If you have a 6V system you need a working magneto for your engine to operate properly. You will notice the increase engine speed when you switch from battery to magneto.

But if you have a 12 V system there is no advantage in a magneto, it is just extra weight.

Slingers work well, they are lightweight and they move a lot of oil!
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191

Post by Ruxstel24 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:36 pm

Tom Hicks wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:24 pm
If you have a 6V system you need a working magneto for your engine to operate properly. You will notice the increase engine speed when you switch from battery to magneto.

But if you have a 12 V system there is no advantage in a magneto, it is just extra weight.

Slingers work well, they are lightweight and they move a lot of oil!

True, except if you run a distributor, 6V works fine for this.
I think no magnets may be a slight HP gain, but probably is a loss on the torque side.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:43 pm

IMO, running without the magnets and coil ring is OK if you use 12v battery for the T coils.

Have done each over the years, so my comparison is ;) :

'15 speedster: Light weight body, std. axle ratio 3.63, rebuilt motor, Holley G, 12v battery, 4 trembler coils. (no mag, 4 angle iron flippers on the flywheel))

This '15 speedster was slow getting underway due to the lighter flywheel, but once going, fast runner.

Scan0107.JPG

'09 faux runabout, Light weight body, std axle ratio 3.63, rebuilt motor, Holley NH, Ford magneto, 4 trembler coils.

Very quick launch, as flywheel being stock weight gives the torque with low pedal, popped into high quickly too.
Winner of Stock Class in drag race (Hill Climb) Winchester Speedway, during the Richmond Model T birthday celebration 8-)

100_6578.jpg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Will
First Name: Will
Last Name: Copeland
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915, 1919, 1923 TT
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by Will » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:08 pm

I removed my magnets years ago and am glad I did it. Iv seen the damage that can happen when a magnet comes loose. The biggest thing with the oil slingers is you need to balance them before installing them., Make sure they and the bolts your going to used weight the same. I went a little over broad on mine. I balanced them and then had the flywheel balanced with them in place.
As Tom Sellick told Marston in the movie Quigley Down Under, I told you I dont have much use for handguns, I never said I didn't know how to use them!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic