What have you done on your Model T in May?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

What have you done on your Model T in May?

Post by Steve Jelf » Thu May 05, 2022 9:02 pm

Nobody else has done it, so I'll start it off this month.

IMG_0488 copy.JPG
I'm not an experienced body man, but today I pounded on a bent front fender.

IMG_0491 copy.JPG
I got it straight so it doesn't pop back to bent. It's ready for finishing the sandblasting, and then soldering.

IMG_0494.JPG
My other job of the day was straightening the dings on this front wheel from running on gravel after throwing a tire last fall.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Re: What have you done on your Model T in May?

Post by Burger in Spokane » Fri May 06, 2022 12:25 am

Completed the rebuild and fine tuning of a nice set of coils, then re-
-installed the e-timer I had on the truck briefly when the engine was
freshly rebuilt (removed while I worked out other bugs). Truck moved
out like a scalded dog, but died intermittently, leaving me to push it out
of traffic and ponder my problem. Seems the battery terminal in the switch
is breaking contact and requiring some love. A quick setting of the mag
wire to the feed terminal on the connection block got me back on the
road and home. Damn, would it pull hills ! I am impressed.
More people are doing it today than ever before !

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sun May 08, 2022 6:47 am

Steve, straightening the fender skirts can leave you with a fender with not quite the same side profile. I usually trace the outline of a good fender on some stiff card and cut the outline to use as a template for the other side fender. If the skirt was stretched when it was bent, and all you did was straighten it, you may still need to shrink it a little to get the profiles to match. This may lessen the grief of trying to get the front of each fender sitting at the same height.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Ned L
First Name: Ned
Last Name: Lloyd
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Coupe, 1924 huckster
MTFCA Number: 0
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by Ned L » Sun May 08, 2022 9:56 am

Not much here yet.
I do have to replace my transmission band linings (I realized the break band is starting to score the drum :( , so we’re off the road for now.).
Then I have a cracked skirt on the right front fender, so I’ll have to spot weld a doubler on the inside to stop any flexing.

sweet23
First Name: Darryl
Last Name: Bobzin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2, '25 T Runabouts, '14 Touring
MTFCA Number: 27211
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by sweet23 » Sun May 08, 2022 10:55 am

I have been getting wheel parts ready for my '14 to go to Calimer's wheel shop for new wood.

rickd
First Name: Rick
Last Name: Duquette
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Touring, 1914 Touring, 1925 Touring, 1927 PU, 1955 T Bird, 69 Shelby GT 350
MTFCA Number: 21848
MTFCI Number: 22173
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by rickd » Sun May 08, 2022 11:38 am

Started on the first leg of my 13 Touring project. The engine was out of the car and stored in a shed for many years and its stuck. Been soaking the pistons in Kroil for a week. Going to remove the the pan and transmission in a few days and start soaking pistons from the inside out. No obvious top end or water jacket cracks yet. Number two looks like it had some water in there for while. Really want to save this early June, '13 engine. Pics of the car and the engine.
tt1.jpg
E1.jpg
E2.jpg

Topic author
Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun May 08, 2022 12:15 pm

More front fender blasting.

IMG_0496 copy.JPG
The old lacquer was awfully tough, and it was mighty slow going until I remembered the pneumatic scaler.

IMG_0495 copy.JPG
That breaks up the lacquer and uncovers the red primer.

IMG_0497 copy.JPG
The primer comes off a lot faster.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

tiredfarmer
First Name: leonard
Last Name: simunek
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 touring. 1931 model a pickup, 1947 willys cj2a
MTFCA Number: 29713
MTFCI Number: 24052

Post by tiredfarmer » Wed May 11, 2022 6:32 pm

This morning I took Lizzy, my 1926 touring, on a 10 mile round trip to the bank. When we got home I changed her oil and finished greasing her universal joint and drive shaft bushing. Now we are all set for the summer.

RGould1910
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Gould
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 touring, 1912 roadster , 1927 roadster

Post by RGould1910 » Thu May 12, 2022 1:25 am

Just finished the brass windshield for a 1912 MIL roadster. The car was delivered to the painter so I'm finishing up odds and ends. The car was in an accident a few years ago and both panes of laminted glass were broken and the bottom frame and center channel were bent. I was able to straighten the frame and replace the center channel. The windshield was new 20 tears ago but was installed on two cars over the ensuing years up until the accident. It has a few niks that didn't polish out but I got it all to fit back together pretty nicely I think.
20220511_220218.jpg
20220511_220209.jpg
20220511_220201.jpg
20220511_220148.jpg
20220511_220043.jpg

jwrightjr
First Name: John
Last Name: Wright
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Touring, 1925 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 50228
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by jwrightjr » Thu May 12, 2022 9:18 pm

Maybe not a big deal but I took my barn-find (last October) "Barn-ey" 27 Tudor that had been parked since 1968 out on the road for it's first drive in 54 years. We didn't go far since we are still getting to know each other but Barney was very happy with his new wheels and rebuilt vaporizor. First ride was only 3 miles but second drive was 4. Still smiling because I think those that know me thought I was crazy for dragging it home. Got a long way to go with it but it is a functional car again. I bought a sewing machine and teaching myself how to sew so I can put an interior back in it. Working on putting together a rebuilt rear axle to swap out to avoid any thrust washer problems. Having a ball piecing it back together, and learning a lot. Going to be a fun summer!
Kind Regards
John

1922 Touring "Tinker"
1925 Roadster "Pops" (Pile Of Parts)
Martin, Ohio

Sarikatime
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Seress
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Towncar, 1915 Touring
MTFCA Number: 27707

Post by Sarikatime » Fri May 13, 2022 9:58 am

Got the motor for the 12 towncar back from Joe Bell, it’s back in the car but have a few more things to button up before starting. Installed a rebuilt ruckstell, reset the Rocky Mountain brakes, combined two rear leaf springs, added a leaf to possibly strengthen the rear bounce. Bought a new front spring but have to rebuild a new to me DB front axle with new hassler shocks to put under the car. During the winter, while no motor, built a rear luggage rack for looks, pretty happy with it. These cars were either used as a limousines or taxi cabs and I figured a luggage rack in the back is somewhat appropriate. Once it is back on the road, I want to install led directional and brake lights into the existing light fixtures so they are not noticeable till in use. It seems I have rebuilt everything on this car again for the third time but it is finally the way I want it. I think I am like a lot of T owners, like tinkering and working on the cars more than driving them but with two in the garage that is going to have to change. Our club has a tour every month and I enjoy it every time.

Rich Eagle
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Fri May 13, 2022 12:06 pm

At long last I set the engine back in the Tudor. We lost the bands on a tour last Fall. I managed to repair the damage and after some illness, the Winter weather and some yard work, I have gotten back to it.
25engg.jpg
viewtopic.php?t=23886#p183662
The Kevlar band lining didn't smooth out like it should after riveting the ends flush. It worked well on the last batch but this one left some humps. I installed them and tightened them to the max hoping the lining would compress. Then I loosened them to give clearance for breaking in.
Rather than fight the transmission cover in the car I decided to install it on the test stand along with the starter. Removing the firewall was necessary for this. It went in easily except for the usual go round lining up the U-joint. I will work up the courage to put the firewall back in place later today.
As Larry mentioned a few days ago, it is very rewarding to and remember the work in putting the car together the first time. Those extra details to make it as right as possible are soon forgotten and a treat to see again.
Keeping my fingers crossed.
Rich
When did I do that?

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Fri May 13, 2022 12:23 pm

Rich Eagle wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 12:06 pm
At long last I set the engine back in the Tudor. We lost the bands on a tour last Fall. I managed to repair the damage and after some illness, the Winter weather and some yard work, I have gotten back to it.
25engg.jpg
viewtopic.php?t=23886#p183662
The Kevlar band lining didn't smooth out like it should after riveting the ends flush. It worked well on the last batch but this one left some humps. I installed them and tightened them to the max hoping the lining would compress. Then I loosened them to give clearance for breaking in.
Rather than fight the transmission cover in the car I decided to install it on the test stand along with the starter. Removing the firewall was necessary for this. It went in easily except for the usual go round lining up the U-joint. I will work up the courage to put the firewall back in place later today.
As Larry mentioned a few days ago, it is very rewarding to and remember the work in putting the car together the first time. Those extra details to make it as right as possible are soon forgotten and a treat to see again.
Keeping my fingers crossed.
Rich
What you have done with kevlar bands is a transmission disaster in the making. Those hi spots will create constant heat/friction. Take em out & properly re-rivet the lining. For the cost of a few rivets & a little time, you are going to loose some drums & pull the motor again.
Kevlar lining is great stuff when done properly, but is very unforgiving. It must be respected.

1925 Touring
First Name: Austin
Last Name: Farmer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Touring

Post by 1925 Touring » Fri May 13, 2022 12:29 pm

I got to drive our 1925 home from school, and had a lot of fun! :D
The future of our hobby does not depend as much on youth, but on the future of internal combustion.
The past is only simple because hindsight is 20/20.

TrentB
First Name: Trent
Last Name: Boggess

Post by TrentB » Fri May 13, 2022 3:41 pm

Fixed the starter bending on the ‘25 roadster. I had postponed doing this for several years fearing what I might find when I got the old bendix out. Turns out it was just the long bendix bolt that was broken, and the missing piece was still in the bendix cover when I removed it. No harm to the rest of the motor. Still, I had to deal with my least favorite part of a Model T: the inside bendix cover screw. The getting it out part wasn’t too bad, but the getting it back in part is what strains my patience.

Respectfully Submitted,

Trent Boggess

mbowen
First Name: Miles
Last Name: Bowen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Express Wagon, 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 51651
MTFCI Number: 25343
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by mbowen » Fri May 13, 2022 4:11 pm

My ‘24 touring came with a water pump, and was cooling fine. I went to add some grease to the shaft cups and what was inside looked more like candle wax than grease, so I pulled the pump to clean it up and found it locked up tighter than Dick’s hat band and a nice polished section on the pulley where the belt had been slipping. I have a new inlet elbow, pipe, hoses, clamps, and belt to go back original. I figure if cooled well enough with a stuck pump, it should do even better without it. :roll:
4A76B655-0741-4E38-86B3-5663AC950B97.jpeg
Miles
1924 Touring “Bonnie”
1925 Express Wagon “Clyde”

NY John T
Last Name: Killelea
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926

Post by NY John T » Sat May 14, 2022 10:44 am

Finally got new windshield glass installed (plate glass had cracked due to sagging windshield frame). Then finally got headlights wired and running properly. When I restored the headlight buckets, I left paint on the surfaces where metal to metal contact is necessary for grounding. One headlight worked, the other was barely on. When cleaned of paint they both worked fine. Next is the horn wiring. I have a Fox locking keyed wheel and the inner contact ring needed some restoration as some of the plastic insulation was gone. Solution? Black liquid tape. We'll see how that comes out. Thanks MTFCA for all the family help.
John
headlights finally.jpg

Bryant
First Name: bryant
Last Name: shafer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 tudor
MTFCA Number: 51736

Post by Bryant » Sat May 14, 2022 4:57 pm

99FB73EA-3ACB-4150-B8A2-DF060C9FFC0C.jpeg
Test fitting this increased compression head for clearance. Thanks Mr Prus!
404E03EA-516E-4E51-9DB8-35D1C25FAB7C.jpeg
had these triple gears fitted with needle bearings! They took a trip to California and back. Thanks Mr McEachern! Otherwise having a blast in the model T world 😃
“Whether you think you can, or think you can’t-you’re right.”

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Sat May 14, 2022 6:23 pm

Benefit car show for a young man (37 years old) Fighting an aggressive cancer! This is my first car show..., imagine that. Really!

IMG_7388.jpeg
IMG_7390.jpeg

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Sat May 14, 2022 9:34 pm

That is one sweet ride Hank!!!

Topic author
Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Sat May 14, 2022 11:24 pm

Did more pounding on my fender-straightening job, and welded up a split. My attempt to learn wire welding did not go well, so I used acetylene and a 000 tip. I think I did it well enough to hold together.

IMG_0509 copy.JPG
IMG_0510 copy.JPG
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

QGolden
First Name: Quinn
Last Name: Golden
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 51795

Post by QGolden » Sun May 15, 2022 7:31 am

I pulled it out of storage and started it for the first time.

I purchased this ‘26 runabout last year pretty much site unseen as it was several thousand miles away from me in MA while I was wintering in AZ. The owner was unable to get it started although swore he did run it but was afraid to drive it, so he only did so once. Based on the collection of very high Dollar 50’s and 60’s automobiles in a very nice garage I believed him, and figured the T was simply an impulse buy for him and out of his league. We negotiated a lower price due with his inability to start it. I suspected what was wrong with it and offered advice, but it was worth more to him to move it at a lower price and free up a bay than it was to mess around with a T.

I had moved it into storage for the winter and then retrieved it in March and brought it to our new home with workshop that I purchased in upstate New York. I spent the last several months restoring the house which is a Victorian cottage built in 1910. Finally on a nice evening I decided to start the T. I jacked it up and put stands under the rear axle, reset the air fuel mixture, set choke, cranked it over twice, turned on the ignition and it started instantly.

Didn’t even smoke! I’ll get the necessary state issued paperwork for my YOM plates for her this week and have it on the road by the weekend.

Dropacent
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Post by Dropacent » Sun May 15, 2022 2:03 pm

For Trent and others…….unless you are afraid of the “correct police” , I went with a Ted Aschman tip years ago, and have never regretted it. I did this way before bifocal age, and agree the original bendix cover screws are a nightmare. Even worse is using the required lock washers. I’d say impossible for me with old eyes AND bifocals. Using a metric cap screw goes well into the odd threaded hole, and the width of the cap screw takes care of the washer need, especially since you can get them tighter than a screwdriver usually allows. Wouldn’t hurt to still use one, but I’d likely use a star washer instead. I had a box of 50 screws but have given them all away over the years, along with a bunch of these metric wrenches I made up out of clock keys. Works for me, and the “police” be damned !
A7B0B953-54FB-4AF7-BFD2-18EE39D79823.jpeg

Gracie'sDad
Last Name: Dow
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32344

Post by Gracie'sDad » Sun May 15, 2022 7:36 pm

Working on replacing the clincher tires on my 1923. I have one more to go and I plan to tackle it tomorrow. My hands are beat, patience is thin but the goal line is in sight. What an incredibly difficult job. I wonder how they did hundreds of tire mounts each day at the factory......

RajoRacer
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Sun May 15, 2022 8:07 pm

This is a "manual" machine but get's one off of the floor - it works quite well ! I can do clinchers, demountables & split rims.
Attachments
tire machine 2.JPG

Topic author
Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Mon May 16, 2022 12:48 am

What an incredibly difficult job.

If you're not already doing them, try these three things:

1 Lay the tire out in the sun to let it get warm and soft.

2 Lubricate the tire with dish soap or baby powder. I use powder.

3 Use long irons. Model T irons make tire changing the job from Hell. I use three HF two-footers.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Mark Nunn
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Mark Nunn » Mon May 16, 2022 8:56 am

My rebuilt NH went from an easy-start and purring-idle to needing a lot of choking and several tries to start. I pulled it apart yesterday and found a lot of sediment. I suspected that the idle passages were clogged too. I'm glad I installed set screws in place of the brass plugs to make cleaning easier. I have not started the car yet but I am hopeful.

Retro54
First Name: Andrew
Last Name: Blaydon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Cut-down touring

Post by Retro54 » Mon May 16, 2022 10:13 am

Took my RPU to the May 15th HCCA BBC Tour/Car show in Gettysburg, PA. Lots of T's and three Model K's there, but I didn't take too many photos.
Attachments
280619122_10127465395274594_356043761392841364_n.jpg
280496179_10127465395184774_7414442530064714764_n.jpg

1925 Touring
First Name: Austin
Last Name: Farmer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Touring

Post by 1925 Touring » Mon May 16, 2022 6:06 pm

This past weekend, we got our 1923 Model TT fire truck going! Woopee! We now have a serial number issue however, and found out that the 1923 truck has a high radiator. Now I don't know it it's a '23 or a '24 or '25. :roll:
The future of our hobby does not depend as much on youth, but on the future of internal combustion.
The past is only simple because hindsight is 20/20.

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Mon May 16, 2022 7:01 pm

Helped Joe Bell finish my engine! Picking it up tomorrow.
Attachments
20220516_113418.jpg

RGould1910
Last Name: Gould
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 touring, 1912 roadster , 1927 roadster

Post by RGould1910 » Mon May 16, 2022 11:24 pm

In the process of disassembling and bead blasting a set of original and complete AC brakes. Surprised me how nice they cleaned up. I doubt if I'll even have to to reline them. Purchased a few years ago from Mark at Chaffins. Thanks Mark!
20220515_184012.jpg
20220514_172733.jpg
20220514_172615.jpg

mtntee20
First Name: Terry & Sharon
Last Name: Miller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 Center Door, 1920 TTWood cab Farm Truck with cable dump grain bed, 1920 TT C-Cab with express bed, 1927 Wood body Dairy Delivery truck
MTFCA Number: 32583

Post by mtntee20 » Tue May 17, 2022 9:30 am

I spent 1 1/2 days cleaning up glue squeeze out off the inside of the roof that my late friend put on his (now our) C-cab TT. Found loose contacts in the starter switch and refurbished the switch. I installed a battery cut off switch. Spent a day rebuilding the piston oiler on the Witte hit & miss engine in the bed and getting it running. Then, on Saturday, we attended our first show of the year. All were had by a good time. The only down-side; I couldn't keep the Witte running to crush cans for the attendees.
Colorado Can Crusher
Colorado Can Crusher
The depot hack is a special item. It was used in the opening ceremonies of the Eisenhower Memorial Tunnel, the highest vehicular tunnel in the United States. On March 8, 1973, the depot hack was the FIRST vehicle through the tunnel carrying the then Colorado State Governor; Governor Love.
Attachments
Wheat Ridge History Soc May Touring sized.jpg

JBog
First Name: Jason
Last Name: Bogstie
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50288

Post by JBog » Tue May 17, 2022 10:31 am

I replaced the cotton bands in my 19 with wood. The NoCo Model T Club helped me out by turning the day into a seminar on the transmission system.
IMG_3622.JPG
2IMG_3658.jpg
IMG_3661.JPG

Finally also got some new tires.

Rich Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor

Post by Rich Eagle » Tue May 17, 2022 11:11 am

Nice selfie. :D I hope they work well for you.
Rich
When did I do that?

JBog
First Name: Jason
Last Name: Bogstie
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50288

Post by JBog » Tue May 17, 2022 11:17 am

Rich Eagle wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 11:11 am
Nice selfie. :D I hope they work well for you.
Rich
Thanks! I'm the second one in the club to use them.

kelly mt
First Name: Pat
Last Name: Kelly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 23 Speedster, 25 TT, 26 Roadster, 27 Tudor

Post by kelly mt » Tue May 17, 2022 11:56 pm

Got my new OF mounted up and adjusted on my Speedster. Runs good.
20220517_185415.jpg

abcarswell
First Name: Bruce
Last Name: Carswell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Model TT

Post by abcarswell » Wed May 18, 2022 9:10 am

Last project for Clarabelle’s 2022 refresh was to remove a dent I put in the hood by dropping it two years ago. My body and fender/paint skills have improved so the hood looks markedly better than the adjacent fenders. Oh well, projects for another day.
Attachments
43837DA0-FB25-4C94-8110-2C28662EC033.jpeg
9D714C98-348D-4584-BFE7-8FA3DC79C504.jpeg
522F750A-EF87-4606-AE04-EC4E26B100FE.jpeg
D7FFC3E8-C7EC-400C-A169-4F32060A6BB9.jpeg
A55E947E-9831-48F5-8328-2495E2512003.jpeg

mbowen
First Name: Miles
Last Name: Bowen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Express Wagon, 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 51651
MTFCI Number: 25343

Post by mbowen » Tue May 24, 2022 1:24 pm

I’m in the process of adding an external oil line. From the condition of the old post, it’s hard to believe this engine was running on the magneto.
3B81D061-70C4-456E-8F60-A700DFBED3DD.jpeg
Miles
1924 Touring “Bonnie”
1925 Express Wagon “Clyde”

Rich Eagle

Post by Rich Eagle » Sat May 28, 2022 12:00 pm

Work continues on the Tudor repair as time and ambition permit. This has been a good opportunity to clean and service everything especially parts that came off in removing the engine. It's nice to see the Dulux Black has survived the 20 years it has endured. I'm taking pictures while it is still clean.
Tudrx1.jpg
I was also pleased to find the fan bushings fitting the shaft so well. A .001 shim produces definite drag. It was still well oiled but cleaning and fresh oil will help it last longer.
Tudrx2.jpg
I know full well that a fan belt guide is not necessary but they are cute and I like to make them. The previous one had escaped it's mount and was long gone when I tore things down. I made a new one from materials on hand. This time I swaged the parts and then silver soldered them. I was happy to see that the one that failed was an original accessory rather than one of the several I had made. I can afford to made mine a bit heavier.
Tudrx3.jpg
They tell me that if your fan pulleys are properly crowned the belt will run true and "never" come off. If that is true then this guide won't wear the belt much.
When did I do that?

Jahn_Wright
First Name: Jahn
Last Name: Wright
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 20168
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Jahn_Wright » Sat May 28, 2022 6:05 pm

Installed new band springs in the transmission of my '25 coupe with assistance from my son. Been putting this task off for about a year (yes, way too long). Now to start driving in earnest. And we avoided dropping ANYTHING into the black hole.
Attachments
IMG_2358.JPG
Jahn
1925 Coupe--owned by my Grandfather

randahl
First Name: Randahl
Last Name: Cady
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 speedster

Post by randahl » Sat May 28, 2022 7:18 pm

Drove it! And not worry about the small stuff..
Attachments
92.4_Moment (3 (2).jpg
92.4_Moment (3 (2).jpg (51.73 KiB) Viewed 3525 times

NU2theT
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Wendt
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 32419

Post by NU2theT » Sat May 28, 2022 7:49 pm

got the new wood spokes stained to give that old look and show off the grain.
Attachments
IMG_0514.JPG
IMG_0515.JPG

TBones12
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Poane
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 Hack, 1910 Touring, 1914 Touring, currently a Touring 1912, 1912 Torpedo Roadster
MTFCA Number: 17004
MTFCI Number: 17004

Post by TBones12 » Sun May 29, 2022 9:03 am

Just picked up the buckboard I had made by the Lancaster area Amish wagon builder ($500). I am converting a 1912 roadster torpedo
to a pick up. It is challenging and fun to creatively put a 1914 gas tank under the seat, drill holes for the battery box, 1927 engine from Ed Henline,
selling the 1912 rear to replace with a ruckstell, disc breaks were put on last fall, demountable,.............

I bought the car as a project car which came with many parts. I sold many parts at Luray and made just about enough to buy a Ruckstell.
I don't want my estate to sell my parts. I am selling my parts now to make money and to put back into the T!
Attachments
buck 2.jpg
buck 2.jpg (30.5 KiB) Viewed 3401 times
bucky 3.jpg
bucky 3.jpg (26.88 KiB) Viewed 3401 times
bucky 4.jpg
bucky 4.jpg (31.79 KiB) Viewed 3401 times
bucky 6.jpg
bucky 6.jpg (38.71 KiB) Viewed 3401 times
bucky 5.jpg
bucky 5.jpg (38.04 KiB) Viewed 3401 times

Will_Vanderburg
First Name: William
Last Name: Vanderburg
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 28382

Post by Will_Vanderburg » Sun May 29, 2022 4:22 pm

I washed mine today
Attachments
6BCE27F3-354B-4825-BE7D-969E467F0059.jpeg
William L Vanderburg

1925 Touring
1922 Center Door Sedan

noelchico
First Name: Noel
Last Name: Chicoine
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 roadster, 1923 Touring, 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 25420
MTFCI Number: 22686
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by noelchico » Sun May 29, 2022 9:22 pm

Sorry, no pics so I must not have done it. First I replaced 3 outer spokes on one of my Pasco wheels. When I lost a wheel at last year's Spokane tour, the left Bennet brake band was ground 3/4 thru by contact with the pavement. I removed the band and a local welder welded in a patch piece that is near impossible to see where original ends and new begins. I got some band lining from Chaffin's, along with rivets (thanks, Dave), and riveted the lining to the band, made sure it had full contact on the brake drum, put it back together with a little paint, and now again have accessory rear brakes on my Roadster.

Scott C.
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Clements
MTFCA Number: 49592

Post by Scott C. » Sun May 29, 2022 10:46 pm

I set the rebuilt engine back into my 26 roadster today.

Topic author
Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Mon May 30, 2022 12:00 am

I committed to this last December, assuming that I would surely have everything done long before today. Ha! I got the car reassembled yesterday, and started it for the first time this year. This morning I put the right front fender back on. It's still in black primer, but nobody seemed to notice.

On May 29, 1922, Sister Aimee Semple McPherson appeared before a crowd of 5000 in the rotunda at Wilson Park in Arkansas City. One hundred years later to the day, on May 29, 2022, "Sister Aimee" returned.

IMG_0538.JPG
I don't know Sister Aimee's 2022 name. She was in character the whole time.

IMG_0539 copy.JPG
I drove her about two blocks to Wilson Park.

IMG_0542.JPG
We had to wait about 20 minutes for the previous reenactors to finish, then drove right into the rotunda.

It sure feels good to be driving a Model T again.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

hull 433
First Name: Stan
Last Name: Gadson

Post by hull 433 » Mon May 30, 2022 11:35 am

Spent the day prepping and priming the front wheels on the '15 with my 93 yo dad. Today we start painting.

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Post by perry kete » Mon May 30, 2022 11:46 am

I took a nice ride yesterday evening in the '27 Touring after finishing up rewiring some new lights in the shop and painting an awning for above the entrance door.

Still waiting on the machine shop to call and tell me the '22 Coupe block has been bored out and to come and get it. I'm hoping to have it back up and running by July 18th it's 100th birthday.
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

John Codman
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Mon May 30, 2022 11:57 am

Rickd, I have seen engines with cylinder bores far worse then yours brought back.

George Mills
First Name: George
Last Name: Mills
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Roadster, 1919 Hack, 1925 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 29497
MTFCI Number: 10032
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George Mills » Mon May 30, 2022 12:14 pm

With the 15 stewardship changing to my youngest son…and the 25 likewise to my oldest son….what do you do to a two deep garage bay if you’re not planning on something new?

Build a new workbench…lol. And organize the house garage for the first time since the 80’s!! (Still a work in process, this is the left side…)
Attachments
2FA27C55-4B19-4317-80E8-573443298E46.jpeg

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Mon May 30, 2022 2:40 pm

Took Nellie to a local street rod show, and lots of folks enjoyed seeing an old Ford. There was just one other '23 Ford there, a fiberglas roadster with 350 chev motor!

Anyway got the trophy, there were 51 cars in attendance, and trophy given to the Top 25....woo hoo!

IMG_1452.JPG
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

KBurket
First Name: K
Last Name: Burket
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 RPU
MTFCA Number: 49752
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by KBurket » Mon May 30, 2022 3:01 pm

Congrats on the trophy. I like your vintage fender brace.
I continued my months long quest to rebuild/assemble my August 1920 motor. I rebuilt a mag coil ring I bought off of eBay, recharged my magnets using a single 12 volt battery (they can lift a transmission gear shaft which weighs 2lb 9 oz according to my wife’s food scale), and started setting the gap between the two pieces. It took me a few hours to find the brass shims that I put away someplace safe.
Attachments
17B24E0C-A383-45D5-A289-81447DD46511.jpeg
4E502E52-722D-4383-9C5C-97891FDDFF44.jpeg
36EC4188-DB25-48C9-A72C-FF06BF21EE16.jpeg
484CE8A9-E875-4A64-B309-2533C5DE7EE4.jpeg

Craig Leach
First Name: craig
Last Name: leach
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Firetruck/1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 26647

Post by Craig Leach » Mon May 30, 2022 3:30 pm

Just finished a long challenge from a friend. He challenged me to figure out how to install a Judson supercharger on a model T. The Judson rotary vane style has been used for lots of purposes for close to a hundred years. Judson Engineering & Electrical Co. was founded in 1880. This one was designed
for a 36 & 40HP VW in the fifties. The challenge is to turn a Acc. at 4800 RPM max speed from a model T engine. The VW is 80 cu.in. but will turn 3800 RPM and the Judson was over driven 1 : 1.3. Produced 6 lbs. boost at best so even @ that speed will produce less than half the volume needed to produce that in a model T. So over driving the Judson by 2 1/2 times crank speed produces 2+ PSI. End result is only a hand full of horse power
( somewhat like installing a high compression head ) noticeable but not overly impressive. As the new vanes break in it may improve some. The best results should be at higher elevations where model T's seem to suffer the most from thin air.
supercharger finished2.jpg
supercharger finished2.jpg (23.83 KiB) Viewed 3067 times
supercharger finished.jpg
supercharger finished.jpg (25.46 KiB) Viewed 3067 times
supercharger finished3.jpg
supercharger finished3.jpg (23.79 KiB) Viewed 3067 times
Biggest problem was making it look period correct.
Craig.

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Mon May 30, 2022 11:58 pm

Went to the Memorial Day parade today. I offered to take a veteran or a firefighter. Lady in charge could not come up with anyone, so I asked the first couple I saw on the parade route. No they wanted to watch the parade. Second couple - no. Young man with 3 kids grabbing candy. Sure. They had a blast and dad was thrilled.
merton1.jpg
merton6.jpg
Then I stopped by the new neighbor and offered a ride. Convinced him to go. An hour later his whole family was there, so I took about 12 relatives for a ride. Then I stayed a bit and got a tour of the house, and met everyone else.

Then I went to my buddy's house across the street. Had a couple of beers and talked about his family.

Next I went home and finished taking apart a couple of axles I got at an auction. The grease was thicker than molasses in one axle.
goose6.JPG
This axle had 1 good bearing. Differential is questionable.
Second axle had 4 good bearings. Differential is soaking in kerosene.
goose5.JPG
Now it is time to go make dinner.
I would say it was a good day.

Reno Speedster
First Name: Morgan
Last Name: Blanchard
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Model T Speedster Project, 1922 Runabout Pickup

Post by Reno Speedster » Tue May 31, 2022 5:13 pm

I just drove 1,100 miles to get my new 22 runabout pickup (whose name is “Burt”) and dropped it off at the freight company to ship to Alaska. The picture is a snap of a video I took just before they rolled him into the container.

He has not been driven in a few years so there is some tinkering to do, but once it gets to Anchorage in a week or so the fun will start. Bert is joining my speedster project “Thelma” in the garage.

I have been working hard on Thelma to get a rolling chassis. The Rajo BB head for her is still being rebuilt. I got a new old stock 26-27 front axle and am finishing up the front lowering brackets. I also got a bunch of model a steering parts that will be modified to mimic some of the steering equipment available in the 20s for speedsters and race cars.

As an archaeologist, my summers are crazy busy so progress is going to slow down for the next 4-5 months.
Attachments
9582C696-A792-4E36-AC65-74AB5D0DB5FB.png

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic