Wanted TO BUY: OLD STOCK/WELL PATINA'ed SCREWS for DOOR GARNISH AND INSTRUMENT PANEL

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
lirogo27
First Name: Lisa
Last Name: Goldberg
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Bought my first T - a 1926 T Coupe - in March 2022!

Wanted TO BUY: OLD STOCK/WELL PATINA'ed SCREWS for DOOR GARNISH AND INSTRUMENT PANEL

Post by lirogo27 » Mon May 09, 2022 10:29 pm

Hey folks. I am looking for some old stock interior screws for a 1926 T Coupe- matching existing well patina'ed slotted screws (flat and oval) for the door garnish and panel on which the amp meter sits (instrument panel). Does anyone have some old left overs out there in their garage, barn etc that they would be willing to part with for a price? Happy to buy them! Obviously I can go to ANY screw supplier but the new ones will stick out like a billboard. THANK YOU! Pictures attached.
Attachments
IMG_6355.jpg
IMG_6355.jpg (26.31 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
IMG_6353.jpg
IMG_6353.jpg (26.4 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
Last edited by lirogo27 on Wed May 11, 2022 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Re: Wanted TO BUY Machine and wood SCREWS for DOOR GARNISH AND INSTRUMENT PANEL

Post by jiminbartow » Wed May 11, 2022 11:03 am

Snyder’s and Lang’s used to stock complete interior sets of slotted nickel plated oval head machine screws and square nuts with the proper head sizes. Although they are new, when compared to the originals you can’t tell the difference, as they are identical to the originals. I don’t know if they still stock them, but that is where I got mine for my ‘26 coupe. I went to the Lang’s site (see first picture) and they don’t appear to be a complete set, so you may need to buy several sets. In the second picture, Snyder’s looks to have the complete set. The nickel plated screws look great! Jim Patrick

C2B8F554-97C9-4A00-A8A1-090CF8EEB0C1.jpeg
C2B8F554-97C9-4A00-A8A1-090CF8EEB0C1.jpeg (21.45 KiB) Viewed 1422 times
1BC2B1B2-F78D-46CF-9F91-0AC919788961.jpeg
1BC2B1B2-F78D-46CF-9F91-0AC919788961.jpeg (31.76 KiB) Viewed 1416 times

Topic author
lirogo27
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Bought my first T - a 1926 T Coupe - in March 2022!

Re: Wanted TO BUY Machine and wood SCREWS for DOOR GARNISH AND INSTRUMENT PANEL

Post by lirogo27 » Wed May 11, 2022 1:38 pm

Thank you Mr. Bartow. Every vendor sells the kits. I can even buy the #8 or #10s in some stores one off. Problem is I don't want new screws that look new and shiny in the car. It will look odd to me. I want to find some old well patina'ed machine screws lying around that will match what I have now. If I replace all the screws it will just seem odd to see all these shiny nickel things in my well aged 100 year old T. If I put in a few new ones next to the old ones, it will look even odder. I am hoping I can scrape together a few screws - 12 or less from a bunch of T folks on the Forum. Who else would have some - ie well patina'ed old screws they might have in their tool boxes over the years of doing repairs! You folks would!

Now if they were non visible screws - it would be a different story - but the Instrument Panel and Door Garnish are very visible.

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Re: Wanted TO BUY: OLD STOCK/WELL PATINA'ed SCREWS for DOOR GARNISH AND INSTRUMENT PANEL

Post by jiminbartow » Sun May 15, 2022 12:09 pm

How about putting the threaded end of the new oval headed screws in a drill press and while running, sand off the plating, then bury the screws in a container of wet dirt until they achieve the amount of rust and age you desire or until the patina matches the original ones in your car. Jim Patrick

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Re: Wanted TO BUY: OLD STOCK/WELL PATINA'ed SCREWS for DOOR GARNISH AND INSTRUMENT PANEL

Post by TRDxB2 » Sun May 15, 2022 2:14 pm

If you can find all of what you need you might try to chemically age them. I probably have what you need but sizes?
--
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwSxk5RWEGs
rust it.png
--
--
This is a very common method - white vinegar is cleaning vinegar
https://www.bobvila.com/articles/how-to-rust-metal/
Attachments
How_To_Rust_Metal_for_Decor.jpg
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun May 15, 2022 2:27 pm

Lisa

Ospho is an etchant which is diluted phosphoric acid. It is used to prepare bare or rusty metal for painting. With enough work, and a scotchbrite pad, even heavily rusted parts can be brought back to rust-free condition. That is what it is intended to be used for.

There is, however, another thing it will do: it will remove zinc plating from hardware. A brief immersion and the plating will dull; an extended immersion will show fine bubbles foaming off the part and will thoroughly remove the plating (you don't want that for your project). You want to knock off the shine (dull it) and maybe buff it gently with a hand held scotchbrite pad to get a nice even color/patina which should still have some resistance to rust. I think you'll like how it will come out.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
lirogo27

Post by lirogo27 » Mon May 16, 2022 11:07 am

Scott_Conger wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 2:27 pm
Lisa

Ospho is an etchant which is diluted phosphoric acid. It is used to prepare bare or rusty metal for painting. With enough work, and a scotchbrite pad, even heavily rusted parts can be brought back to rust-free condition. That is what it is intended to be used for.

There is, however, another thing it will do: it will remove zinc plating from hardware. A brief immersion and the plating will dull; an extended immersion will show fine bubbles foaming off the part and will thoroughly remove the plating (you don't want that for your project). You want to knock off the shine (dull it) and maybe buff it gently with a hand held scotchbrite pad to get a nice even color/patina which should still have some resistance to rust. I think you'll like how it will come out.
SCOTT! THANK YOU. THANK YOU. THANK YOU. Funny thing is I was researching if there were options chemically. You just provided a HUGE ASSIST. Lisa

Topic author
lirogo27

Post by lirogo27 » Mon May 16, 2022 11:08 am

jiminbartow wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 12:09 pm
How about putting the threaded end of the new oval headed screws in a drill press and while running, sand off the plating, then bury the screws in a container of wet dirt until they achieve the amount of rust and age you desire or until the patina matches the original ones in your car. Jim Patrick
Thank you!

Topic author
lirogo27

Post by lirogo27 » Mon May 16, 2022 11:14 am

TRDxB2 wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 2:14 pm
If you can find all of what you need you might try to chemically age them. I probably have what you need but sizes?
--
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwSxk5RWEGs
rust it.png
--
--
This is a very common method - white vinegar is cleaning vinegar
https://www.bobvila.com/articles/how-to-rust-metal/
I was researching JUST that! I have seen the Bob Villa method and the permablue. The Perma will make things too dark. I will let you know on the screw sizes. I need to pull them out tonight or tomorrow. I am thinking oval headed #8 or #10. I will check the length. Guessing 5/8 or 3/4. But will pull a few of each that remain to make sure they were all same size. THANK YOU

Topic author
lirogo27

Post by lirogo27 » Mon May 16, 2022 4:00 pm

lirogo27 wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 11:08 am
jiminbartow wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 12:09 pm
Thank you!
Mr. Bartow....LOL. Ummmmm. OK!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic